No announcement yet.

Never killed a big deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive never killed a buck.. i hunt way back in the public land. If im going to drag it out, its got to be the biggest buck ive seen in my life. If the freezers empty ill drag a doe out, but not a immature buck.

Comment

I've never bagged a big impressive buck. In fact I usually end up with only doe, but I want the meat so im not picky.

I did catch this guy on my cam last week though. "biggest" one i've ever caught on cam, hoping he walks by this year. That would make my day for sure.

Comment

143 is my biggest to date.

Comment

Finding big deer means a lot of scouting and preparing ahead of time. You need to understand where the deer feed, bed, and travel. Smart to have multiple setups in same area and hunting each with the right wind. Knowing when the rut starts and being out there as much as possible as that might be your best window of opportunity. I haven't killed monsters by any means (144 is my best), it have several in the 130's. All of my bigger bucks have been taken during the rut and by rattling them in.

Comment

My ex's great uncle once told me that if you never killed a big deer then change what you're doing. This old ******* killed many south Texas monsters. He said if you you keep hunting the way your hunting then you will keep killing what your killing. Didn't like the old man but he was right.

Comment

In my opinion, its all about age. Hunting mature bucks is nothing like hunting young bucks. At least thats the way it is in east tx. Read this thread when you are really bored. Some good info in it.

Comment

Never killed a 120's but I killed a real old guy who was in decline. Rifle. This year I can feel it. Going to get my first Bow Buck.

Comment

What county do you hunt in? I thought here in Wharton county, was where the smallest bucks take up residence. Killing deer over 100 inches here is very doable every year, but you would be hard pressed to find one over 120.

Comment

I'm glad to be able to say that I am not qualified to answer your question. lol. I've been fortunate to be able to hunt in areas where big deer reside.

Comment

Well my primary place is in Stonewall county Just outside of Aspermont. There's big deer. There was another guy hunting the property that might have been a major factor bringing everyone he knew out to hunt. But he killed big deer every year. The biggest i saw him kill was 156" I've seen a giant non typical chasing a yearling buck outta the pasture and justr never got a shot. I think the advise about changing what i'm doing is a good place to start. But there lies the problem, WHERE to start. I've hunted the feeders I've hunted the field. tried grunts bleats rattlin deer pee his and hers. Hell I've even done all the above when folks say its peak runt. Still no deer. ALSO I will say that a mature deer means more to me than a young deer with alot of bone. And i darn sure don't have the money to pay for big deer.

Comment

Largest ever shot was just under 130. It's family land and they just aren't going to be bigger than that. I focus on keeping the Doe around and seeing what the rut brings in.

Comment

My biggest is about 112" but that's ok he's big to me.

Comment

I guess I'm spoiled hunting here in northern Missouri my whole life. Around my area if a deer makes it to three years old he's usually at 130 or more. But I've hunted in the Hill country around lampassas several times and I have seen maybe one buck that was close to 130. It doesn't make it any less fun to me though I just like deer hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kmiles84 View Post
                              Finding big deer means a lot of scouting and preparing ahead of time. You need to understand where the deer feed, bed, and travel. Smart to have multiple setups in same area and hunting each with the right wind. Knowing when the rut starts and being out there as much as possible as that might be your best window of opportunity. I haven't killed monsters by any means (144 is my best), it have several in the 130's. All of my bigger bucks have been taken during the rut and by rattling them in.
                              Yes all that helps but I don't care what you do, if there are no big bucks in your area, you will never find one.

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                              Well my primary place is in Stonewall county Just outside of Aspermont. There's big deer. There was another guy hunting the property that might have been a major factor bringing everyone he knew out to hunt. But he killed big deer every year. The biggest i saw him kill was 156" I've seen a giant non typical chasing a yearling buck outta the pasture and justr never got a shot. I think the advise about changing what i'm doing is a good place to start. But there lies the problem, WHERE to start. I've hunted the feeders I've hunted the field. tried grunts bleats rattlin deer pee his and hers. Hell I've even done all the above when folks say its peak runt. Still no deer. ALSO I will say that a mature deer means more to me than a young deer with alot of bone. And i darn sure don't have the money to pay for big deer.
                              At first I was just thinking you were hunting a area that had no big deer but after reading the above that obviously isn't the case.

First thing I would do is get 4-5 game camera's and put them out on trails, if you have more trail cams that is great, use them also. Let them run for about 3 weeks and check them, if you don't get any good deer pics, move them and wait 3 weeks and check them again. Continue to do this until you find a good deer. Try to get into these area's with as little impact on the area as possible. Walk your fence lines and look for spots the deer are crossing, look for spots that the fence is lower and can easily be jumped or a spot they can easily go under. Deer will generally pic the easiest spot to cross. One of the best spots I found on my place for a camera was on fence crossing that a tree broke the top strand. The deer loved crossing in that spot. If you have any interior fencing that has a open gate or open section on it, that is another great spot because it's a pinch point for the animals. Yes a deer can jump a low fence with no problem but when they are in their normal travels, they prefer not to if they have a choice.

Comment

Like they said you have to hunt where they roam, and I don't lol.

I've killed 5 mature bucks, ranging from 107" - 121"

Comment

Working...
                                X