Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt at a three shot trad group...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    Ok so my shoulder/back is getting stronger and I can shoot a bit more. Now my fingers are starting to feel a bit sore at the tips. Do I just need to work through this until the finger tips develop a callus??? Or should I just shoot a bit less??
    Your fingertips shouldn't hurt. You should be using a tab or glove and hooking the string at the first knuckle. You do not hold the string by your fingertips. If you do have the deep hook and the string is getting the tips, you should get a better glove/tab.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

My fingers get sore still sometimes. Especially those 100 arrow days. And I've got a good glove.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

But not like blister sore. Just tender. Or maybe sensitive is a better word.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          I eased off. Shorter sessions but a couple a day.

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          Your fingertips shouldn't hurt. You should be using a tab or glove and hooking the string at the first knuckle. You do not hold the string by your fingertips. If you do have the deep hook and the string is getting the tips, you should get a better glove/tab.

My fingers get sore still sometimes. Especially those 100 arrow days. And I've got a good glove.

But not like blister sore. Just tender. Or maybe sensitive is a better word.

I guess my fingers are sensitive as well

I have not been drawing by using the first knuckle/bend. I have been pulling the string a little bit forward of the first knuckle/bend. I will adjust tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for the input felllas

As most of you warned me about, I am addicted to shooting the bow. It sure is fun

Comment

I use the first knuckle. After you figure out a smooth release that way you'll group better.

Comment

As a fellow lefty, you are doing a great job!! Welcome to our addiction....

Comment

well, I applied the advice as to using fist knuckle as the place where the string is gripped. Here are my observations:

1) it made drawing the bow significantly easier, big plus.

2) it changed my anchor point. initially I have issues as it changed "site" picture and caused me to revisit inconsistency big time. This morning I might have stumbled on a reproducible anchor point that gets my eye directly over the arrow. Big plus IMHO

Here is a pic from a three shot group after I dicoovered said anchor point. I understand I have a lot of work to do before I am consistent and also realize it's going to take some time. I like the fact it's not easy and I think it's fun thinkering with my form. The quest of becoming a decent & consistent archer with a trad bow is mucho fun

As usual, your thoughts and advice are highly appreciated
                Attached Files

Comment

A deep hook is good form and allows for a cleaner and more consistent release. But it takes time to undo an older habbit, so stick with it. Some non aiming, blank bale type drills will help you get used to it pretty quickly.

Comment

Well after a few weeks on the side lines I broke out the bow yesterday. Been very busy at work and started lifting weights so time has been reduced. I am happy too say that after struggling for two days I finally got back at least to where I left off. At first, I struggled to hit my anchor point so my shots were all over place. I finally found the spot that is not only comfortable but gives me a good sight picture.

Additionally, with a bit of added strength, I am now able to hold the bow back without struggling on the last practice shots when shooting multiple arrows. I have a long, long way to go but I am happy with the progress and plan on practicing until I can consistently hit my marks.

Comment

Nice. He'll have two new bows by this time next year along with an arrow saw, bitzenberger, and a warchest of incidentals associated with the addiction.

Comment

It will come. Shoot by flash light if you must.

Comment

Well fellas I went out and took some shots. Here is what I have in a three shot group. First group of the day no warm up at 22-23 yds. Not sure why my pics turn side ways
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here is a second group of three. I am really exited that some of the groups are starting to tighten up. As the strength to hold at full draw has improved so has the grouping of arrows.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That's a long way with a traditional bow.

Comment

That's a long way with a traditional bow.

It's the distance I started shooting at after watching a video on here(will look for it and post a link) that someone posted... Prior to that, I had tried 5 & 10 yd shots and I was all over the place including off the bag target all together at 5 yds with some shots... I put the bow down for a few weeks and stumbled on to the video... Everything I shoot is around that distance now... I know most if not all have advised against that distance but it's where I feel comfortable. I know I still have a mountain to climb but I think if I can replicate my anchor point and sight picture I will tighten up the groups...

Comment

Working...
                                X