Lost Buck - What Went Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocky View Post
    I’m curious as to her setup also. Poundage, arrow weight, speed KE,/ momentum.

It’s been a few years and a few bows since I set hers up. Her arrow weight is around 315ish. I’m not sure if I ever measured speed or calculated KE. I’ve slowly bumped her draw weight but I haven’t measured the increase. I tuned it after I replaced her rest in October/November. Next time I’m at B2B I’ll try to remember to get some details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Kudos again to both of you on the video. Catching the raw emotion of the hunt is priceless, especially when videoing your kiddos.

Comment

My first thought/reaction was that the shot was too low for that for back. Exit looked low and back behind the leg also. It’s a tricky shot placement. Low looks good, but low and just a little back is all guts. I don’t know what could have been done different, other than waiting longer. But hindsight is 20/20. That shot dosen’t look “bad”, but in reality it is not in a good place.

Like mentioned above, every once in a while **it happens, and it always sucks when it happens to you.

Better luck next time!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            First off... great job on that video. You did everything right after the shot. All of us that have done this a long time understand that this happens and most of the time there is no explanation. Clearly the shot was a little back but definitely low liver. I would expect to recover that deer 100 percent with a dog.

Thanks for sharing. Again, I really like the video.
            Dogs are not always 100% at finding dead deer. Ask Perow. We or he hired the best dog in our area, one I used before and was very impressed with, and it couldn't find his buck. And it was right in the middle of where we all looked. Dog had to of gone within 15 yards of that buck 2-3 times. I know we walked close to it a few times. We found it 3 days later when buzzards were on it.

Just to add to some thoughts. I do agree most of the time a good dog will find dead deer. Just a small % they're "off" their game or something.

I didn't read all posts or watch the entire video. But let me know if you find the buck. Would like to know how far it made it and if the dog was ever close. No doubt that buck should have left a long blood trail even if too little to see with human eyes.

Comment

Great work on the video!!!! Really enjoyed watching. Hopefully she gets redemption on that buck this next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                I really like how you got right to the action. You hooked me with it. Now I HAD to see if she got the buck . Sorry, she did not. But I know of no bowhunter who is perfect. Hang in there Hanna, do not get bummed out. We have all been there. Great times with the family and the vids keep getting better Michael.

Thanks for the feedback on the production. It’s longer than most of my recent vids, but I wanted to tell the full story. And thanks for the encouragement for Hannah. She’s more motivated than ever.

We’re hoping to get her on some hogs and maybe even an exotic during the spring and summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Man, that's a tough outcome. The blood makes me think she still got the liver, and he should be dead somewhere. Y'all did everything right. She may have missed her spot, but only by a couple inches! That's a good shot, given her point of aim. Tell her to keep her head up. It happens!

The only change I'd make is to have her aim a little further forward. Without a big mech cut, the deadly V is the best place to put an arrow.

Comment

This is hands down one of the best videos I have seen. Well put together. Sure wish she could have retrieved him.

Comment

Michael that was a great video, lots of funny moments with Hannah's comments prior to the shot and the raw emotion after the shot was just fantastic. Certainly a tough outcome, but what a memorable experience for both of you as well as a great learning. She went from high emotion to learning to come to grips with one of the toughest things to deal with in bowhunting. You can't put a price on that, and as a father it was exemplary. It is easy to later say "wish I would have" with our kids, but you're doing it, in a fine way.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Michael

Didn't like the outcome but really enjoyed you guys emotion after the shot! It doesn't get any better

Comment

Michael, so much transparency and emotion in this video. Thanks to you and especially Hannah for your willingness to share it with the world. Hopefully Hannah’s priorities always remain in the order of 1. Food, 2. Hunting, and (a distant) 3. Boyfriend.

You just set the bar for all the younger fathers that are watching this video, including myself.

Comment

Great video as usual. I was pulling for Hannah with her raw emotion but bummed yall didn't find it.

In agreement with the too far back crowd.....Remember the Skimmer buck that I had to shoot twice. I think she hit in a similar place as my first shot. Many folks in that thread (including myself at the time of the shot) thought it was a dead deer on the first shot but we saw how he reacted and how he had to be shot again. Too low to catch lungs and too far back for the pumpstation plumbing. That sequence of shots here had made me push slightly higher and more into the shoulder deadly V or aim for the lungs. Low and behind the shoulder has too many fail possibilities for me. Anyway.... good luck to Hannah on the next one. Love her reaction and passion. LOL'd at I want this deer more than a boyfriend.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1YzgCnd0w&t=65s"]Skimmer No Brows - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Really great video by you and your daughter. You all went above and beyond to recover that deer. It is really nice that you show how things can turn out sometimes and how to handle it. I will be showing it to my boys.

It is had already been stated, but maybe just go over the equipment. It looks like her arrows could be cut down some if it won't effect arrow flight negatively. Maybe that would help on speed some. You could start there and look at her current arrows and what else available could be an improvement. I like GT Pierce and Black Eagle X Impact since you don't sacrifice speed much and can get good penetration.

Just watching that one video and her shooting. It looked like she kind of brought her finger over the trigger when it was time to fire and "punched" it. You can go down a big rabbit hole here, but a release like where she can wrap her finger around the trigger and squeeze, push and pull, slowly add pressure might help. Michael Braden has a good video that helps there.

After a lot of hunting with my oldest son and going through his archery hunting I have tried to video it all. The one thing I figured out is when he wasn't shooting over 250-260ish fps the deer/animals could "move" after 15 yards. We just learned that would and could happen. So he would try to make sure the conditions were as "perfect" as possible for shots longer than that... relaxed deer and in a good position. (Which is what you all did) I know in south Texas when you are on the ground with the deer that it is really hard to get shots under that range.

I have always had him shoot straight up the leg. My thinking (which is wrong a lot) was that it seems like a high percentages of bad shots are always back. The deer usually duck and lunge forward so if he is aiming straight up the leg and the deer does go forward he is still in the lungs.

Just some random thoughts from the sideline. Thanks again for sharing!

Comment

Great video, loved the "realness" of your video verses some/most of the other stuff I see. Thank you both for sharing and honesty. I'm in agreement with most of the above comments. My only suggestions/thoughts which are solely based on my limited knowledge, are concerning skittish deer. I don't like them! Calm deer are easier to hunt and kill. I like wearing a dull black shirt/top, face paint or mask, and perhaps keep the windows down. I even go so far as to wear those cheap, dark brown glove with fingers cut out to hide my shiny skin. If they can't see me move, one step closer to success. I like the "aiming low, up the front leg too", never saw a deer jump backwards. :-) Aim Small
                                Last edited by wdtorque; 02-23-2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X