Hard freeze and pools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djohnson View Post
    All the advice about running it all the time is valid but the problem that most of us are having is that we have no electricity. Mine was running constantly but when we lost power night before we were out of power for 23 hours. Obviously everything in the equipment froze. So I cut power to the system to keep the pumps from coming on when the power kicked in and pushing against ice and burning themselves out. Just praying that the expanding ice inside the system didn't do damage but with power outages it's become least of two evils.
    No, the advice to run 24/7 was bad advice. Refer to post 29. I guess they cancelled that online class for you. Lol

Comment

Power was off for 31 hours. I used blankets and created heat tents over equipment with space heaters connected to my generator and ran it almost the whole time. It got toasty under there! Nothing I can do about the pipes in the ground.
      I shut off my breakers to not burn out the pump if the underground pipes were frozen.
      Fingers crossed.
      The only thing I should have done was drain my filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

pools frozen solid across, maybe an inch or more by now. Is my pool or surrounding coping/patio at risk of cracking as the surface expands?

ac

Comment

We never lost power so pool was ok. Had a half inch of ice on it. Broke it up and we were good. Sorry to those that lost pumps or plumbing. Had we lost power, the plan was to drain the lines then wit for the thaw. Fortunately, it did not come to that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post
            pools frozen solid across, maybe an inch or more by now. Is my pool or surrounding coping/patio at risk of cracking as the surface expands?

ac
            Can you break the ice? Seems like this could relieve pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post

ac
              Yes. Break up the ice as much as you can. Tie a brick on a rope. After broke up, throw a log or two in.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                Yes. Break up the ice as much as you can. Tie a brick on a rope. After broke up, throw a log or two in.
                Thanks, I'll try brick on a rope. 3 large pieces of lumber frozen into the ice....

ac

Comment

welp....looks like my auto-fill line (from the hose bib) is busted. I hope that's all that's wrong....

Comment

Got to do some evaluating today. My waterfall pump housing is cracked, pool/spa auto valve busted, a few main line pipe busted above ground. My main pump housing doesn’t appear to be cracked but the lid popped off with ice pressing up so I hope I got lucky and it just popped up and didn’t crack. That is all I can see above ground and I am hopeful this is the extent of it.

Ac

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                      Power was off for 31 hours. I used blankets and created heat tents over equipment with space heaters connected to my generator and ran it almost the whole time. It got toasty under there! Nothing I can do about the pipes in the ground.
                      I shut off my breakers to not burn out the pump if the underground pipes were frozen.
                      Fingers crossed.
                      The only thing I should have done was drain my filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much what I did using my Mr buddy heater until I ran out of propane. I drained my filter and opened the tops of the pumps to let pressure escape. Now its just a wait and see.

I've been using the pole for my leaf net to bust up the ice on the pool.

Comment

My only casualty of the freeze. Auto fill valve for the pool and koi pond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Straight pool equipment made it through with no issues. Hit tub filter housing cracked top to bottom. Filter basket housing for hot tub is toast. One pipe for waterfall busted.

Hot tub over-all is an absolute money pit. I've spent well over $5,000 on the thing over the last few years. We might use it three times a year. I figure it costs us roughly $416.66 everytime I turn it on. That doesn't count what I'm about to spend to fix it.

Comment

Soooooo, howd the power hold up for you? Waiting until tomorrow to test on the ol plumbing and pump housing. Removed lids and opened what wasnt frozen, and tried to wrap what i could.

Our pool guy said parts were hard to com by with just covid, and now everyone will have to compete for plumbing and pool parts.

Comment

You go out at 10pm and 7 am with an axe and break it up. At least that is what my neighbor does

Comment

Hard freeze and pools

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                                Straight pool equipment made it through with no issues. Hit tub filter housing cracked top to bottom. Filter basket housing for hot tub is toast. One pipe for waterfall busted.

Hot tub over-all is an absolute money pit. I've spent well over $5,000 on the thing over the last few years. We might use it three times a year. I figure it costs us roughly $416.66 everytime I turn it on. That doesn't count what I'm about to spend to fix it.

I hate my pool in general. Always something. Water chemistry, plugged up filters, etc.

Every time a friend says they’re thinking about building one, I tell them If I could dig mine up and pay them $5,000 to take it, I would.

Comment

Working...
                                X