No announcement yet.

When is an SBR not an SBR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry bout that bad spelling and auto correct from the phone. .

Just to me, it seems the BATF is pretty particular how Question #4 and its sub parts are filled out on the Form 1 that you submit.

Think I'll wait till SC chimes in.

Comment

Once it's registered as an SBR

1. You may run any caliber Barrel that you want
      2. You may run any length barrel that you want
      3. It does not matter what caliber or whether the magical mystical word multi is engraved on the lower receiver

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for clarifying that. Saves a lot of $ and wait times!

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
          Once it's registered as an SBR

1. You may run any caliber Barrel that you want
          2. You may run any length barrel that you want
          3. It does not matter what caliber or whether the magical mystical word multi is engraved on the lower receiver

That is what my 'muddied' understanding was if it was actually pushed to some final end game that needed a final resolution, which is really all that matters...I think the muddy part comes into the fact your bullet points 1-3 is not clearly communicated & mostly comprehended not only within ATF agents who simply may not be familiar with nfa, but the fact that your paperwork states 5.56 & 12.5", but other LE who sees 300 BO with 10.5"

I actually got pulled over coming back from the ranch one day loaded for bear & the 35p chrony & this young DPS officer thought every can / sbr could not even be legally owned, much less understanding contradicting forms to said firearms. I think the whole deal took around 3 hours, 2 supervisors with 5 black & whites on the scene.

If you are ignorant on the subject as LE, they are not going to understand / accept when you explain the form has to documented to original orientation when submitted & then can be altered.

This all circles back to your OP & what were they thinking knowing the backlash that is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
            I am confused as of why anyone would think this is a smooth bore? This is all about barrel length verses overall length.... Nothing I read mentioned smooth barrel or shotgun, so what the heck?
            Smooth bore averts the rifle defenition. Also 26” or longer oal. Maybe they managed to get the receiver part of the measurement. Who the heck knows. It’s something strange because everything about it screams SBR but ATF has approved it. I’ve heard y’all about it being a smooth bore and it my only guess. I don’t think any of the guesses are right lol. I’ve got multiple SBRs and don’t see how they got away with it at all.

Comment

Not exactly smooth bore, but straight rifling/groves....

Read: Franklin Armory's Reformation Revealed from Mike Searson on January 23, 2018 for Recoil.

Comment

So it's straight rifling.

Ill.post photos tomorrow

Comment

I don’t see this thing holding water very long.

Comment

What a let down. I was seriously hoping it was something as simple as a literal interpretation of the length.

Apparently 4-5 MOA at 50 yds with standard projectiles. Supposedly 1 moa at 100 with a new projectile they are introducing that can be loaded in standard casings.

Comment

Told ya

The new rounds are real weird. Like nerf footballs
                      Last edited by trophy8; 01-23-2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I wish some one would just come up with a bull pup that had decent accuracy and a trigger that doesn't suck. But instead we are seemingly tied to a 60 year old rifle design, it is good but ****

Comment

This was a major nothingburger. So absurd I don’t know how they aren’t the laughing stock of the show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            Told ya

The new rounds are real weird. Like nerf footballs

Did someone say there's a gun that shoots nerf footballs? I must own one [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X