Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farthest comfortable (confident) shot on game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the situation and how the animal is acting. But whitetail 60ish, pigs about 90 cause any lower my arrow will hit the sight

But as a disclaimer; most of the shots I take are 25 and in. Just confident further out

Comment

Longest kill was WT at 26. I would say 30 for me.

Comment

Bow:

WT: 35 yards
        Hog: 50 yards

Rifle:
        WT: 300 yards
        Hog: 300 yards

Comment

I practice out to 60 but on a deer I wouldnt shoot over 40.

Comment

Bow - WT 25-30 yards. pig - 50yds. Squirrel - 20. Never killed anything with mine and haven't hunted in a few years.

Rifle - WT - <400 yds with good conditions. Pig - as long as I can see it.

Comment

I've never had a set up where over 30 yards was even possible. So, I've never even adjusted my pins for anything over 30 and don't practice further.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                I use 1 pin, set at 20.
                Any further, he walks.
                Same here

Comment

I've killed big game out to 70 with my bow, would have no issue shooting 80-90 but I shoot all the time. Rifle I've killed to 750 but shoot out to 1k often at the range.

Comment

Originally posted by CURTIS250 View Post
                    I tried searching for a similar thread but for some reason it won't let me. But anyhow, what do you guys and gals think is your longest comfortable shot on either a white tail, pig, or anything worth eating?
                    Do a title search for kill ranges. I was curious about it too and was surprised at the answers

Or just click on my name and look at posts started by me

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

<30 yards on anything with a bow, prefer <=20. Whatever your target is, it deserves to die quickly....including pigs.

Comment

WT doe-15 yards
                        WT buck 30 yards
                        Pig - as far as I can see them!

Comment

Whitetailed deer doe, no farther than 25, like 'em under 20... just too dang jumpy...
                          WT Bucks, I'd take a 35 yard shot if EVERYTHING were perfect conditions, but normally don't shoot deer past 25 yards...
                          Elk 60 yards, though my first one was with my recurve at 12 yards... THAT makes for a comfortable shot.

Small game and turkey, out to 35 yards or so...

Same for hogs... my dang arras cost too much for me to just fling one at 'em, at ANYTHING...

Comment

60 yards max for me.

Comment

WT
                              Preferance is as close as possible.
                              Comfortable range is 30.

Elk
                              Same preference as WT
                              Comfortable to 60

Pigs
                              My slider goes to 120 and I practice at this range so 120 it is. Killed one last year at 97.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                                I like 12 yards but have been known to stretch it to 15.
                                Fun thread. Nice to see how far guys with compounds can shoot -- impressive, I must say.

Then comes one of the most legendary traditional hunters alive, Buff, that might "stretch" his comfort range to 15 yards. This is a man who -- with trad gear-- has killed an elephant, lion, Cape Buffalo, water buffalo and all manner of other critters. He likes em close.

I agree with 12-15 yards.

By the way, Buff has a great test of shooting "comfort" range: put your 3D target in front of your new pickup and walk back as far as you feel comfortable to shoot at game. Fire away.

Comment

Working...
                                X