Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving up on Finding a Trophy Texas Lease. Whats on your trophy list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up on Finding a Trophy Texas Lease. Whats on your trophy list?

Been after it for some years and Im finally just going to throw in the towel on finding a trophy deer lease here in Texas. Going to keep my small place to hunt hogs whenever I want but Im thinking of going on a trophy hunt once a year or so as funds allow, whether it be public land DIY or with an outfitter.

Anyone else done this? What did you start chasing?

Im thinking I will run the remainder of this hunting season on just chasing waterfowl and next year I want to start with a Pronghorn hunt.

After that im not sure what order but so far the only trophy animals ive considered to hunt are

Elk, Mulie, Oryx, Blackbuck and Axis. Dont care too much to travel over to Africa so thats not really in my interest but possibly NZ for Red Stag and thinking Alaska or BC for a few goat hunts.

Kind of just thinking out loud as im still young and physically capable, might as well do these hunts while I still can. I can sit in a tree or box blind and shoot whitetail at a feeder when im old.

How can you not find a trophy deer lease in Texas?

Comment

You have to add a nilgai to that list, a true beast like this guy I got on cam. Nilgai are so fun to hunt you have to do it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3963.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	24513846

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been doing the same thing for a long time.
        Once I was able to afford to get on a decent lease, I realized that I didn't have nowhere near the time to dedicate to it, to make it worth while.

I do day hunts, mostly, with the occasional out of state trip. In the end, I probably come out ahead, and I have more on my walls than just whitetail.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Cant find one that makes sense to me. Hard to find a place that doesnt want +$3k plus feed that is within 4 hours of DFW that has deer over 140".

Just gonna give it up for now and allocate those funds to other hunts for the time being.

Comment

Alberta mule deer needs to be at the top if you are a bow hunter

Comment

Has deer, is within my budget

Comment

There are endless possibilities. My idea on this, I wanted to kill a whitetail, bear, elk, moose, mule deer, and caribou. If I can kill a Mule deer next year I will have this done. Not sure I want to hunt anything else (different) but it is fun to go different places and bow hunt different animals. I do want to hunt them all again and would like to go hunt New Newfoundland and Alaska. I wouldn't give up my deer lease though.

Comment

NM Bull Elk!
                  I gave up on it this year. Gonna go elk hunting with what I would have spent on a WT lease. My budget is gonna drop next year too. If I don't find another lease....so be it.

Comment

X2

NM Bull Elk!
                    I gave up on it this year. Gonna go elk hunting with what I would have spent on a WT lease. My budget is gonna drop next year too. If I don't find another lease....so be it.
                    Last edited by Traildust; 10-05-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Africa

Comment

They're all trophy leases when your looking at them then several years, and 10s of thousands of dollars, later you have only seen one or two P&Y bucks come off the place and none of them went home with you. I love to have a place to go at the drop of a hat. It's not just about the size of the deer. I wasted a lot of years thing a Big one would make it worth more. A monster would be great but having lots of game and a good group is more important to me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by DRT; 10-05-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Trophy money for the broker or landowner.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            They're all trophy leases when your looking at them then several years, and 10s of thousands of dollars, later you have only seen one or two P&Y bucks come off the place and none of them went home with you. I love to have a place to go at the drop of a hat. It's not just about the size of the deer. I wasted a lot of years thing a Big one would make it worth more. A monster would be great but having lots of game and a good group is more important to me.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                            No doubt, thats why I said im still keeping my small year round place where I can go drop a hog, cull buck or doe any day of the week and get my fill of dove and quail hunting.

Every hunter goes through different stages, Im now in the stage where I want a few trophies on the wall and enjoy more western style hunting

Comment

Elk should definitely be high on your list IMO!

Comment

Working...
                              X