Anyone on a Ketogenic Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
    LMAO!!!!!!!! Dude, are you freakin serious??! It is 100% calories in versus calories out! If you eat 600 calories worth of twinkies every day, you lose a ton of weight. I don't care if you eat lard. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. I lost 50 pounds 3 years ago, and have kept it off. If you want to lose weight and not deal with all the BS, get a calorie counter app for your phone and start at 1200 per day.

The best foods are those highest in protein and lowest in calories. Fish, shrimp, white chicken, etc. Especially important when you want to shed fat and maintain or build muscle.

There is a lot more science out there on this topic as well. Not all calories are equal.

Agreed. That's why I followed up with the best foods being those highest in protein and lowest in calories. Only thing that bothered me was the comment about calories in versus calories out being "bogus".
    It is "bogus" when presented as being that simple, because it's not.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chongo; 03-21-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      Thats a pretty spot on description, but the one thing that is different is the constantly moving floor. I was really suprised at the fatigue level from a day of flying when I started, especially when my previous job was much more labor intensive. Probably a low-moderate exertion level. Longer flight days are much more leisurely.

If I could eat a decent sized breakfast, your description above would be perfect. For some reason, I need a couple hours before I can eat without getting nauseous.

I can do it with fiber cereal, skim milk. I can't do it with eggs, bacon, etc. I digest cereal and skim milk really fast.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Gotcha. We'll I'm just a bow hunting and fishing nut and just sharing what worked for me.

That's why some do keto vs iifym vs low fat. We all do what's best for us. Eating at a deficit of 2600 cal on keto works good for me
        Last edited by icetrauma; 03-21-2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          I can do it with fiber cereal, skim milk. I can't do it with eggs, bacon, etc. I digest cereal and skim milk really fast.

I can't do much of anything. I've tried cereal with almond milk, fruit only, shakes, smoothies, granola... it all gives me nausea unless I've had a couple hours after getting up. That really messes with early shift days...

Comment

I can't do much of anything. I've tried cereal with almond milk, fruit only, shakes, smoothies, granola... it all gives me nausea unless I've had a couple hours after getting up. That really messes with early shift days...

Yeah, that is rough.

Comment

Curious, when do you eat dinner? and how close to before bed do you eat? versus when you get up in the morning?

We tend to eat dinner between 5pm and 6pm... and when I go into my weight loss regime, I tend to make a rule that says no eating after 7pm. I make exceptions to this for if I can't eat dinner until after 7pm (rarely) or if I am doing a evening strength workout and I want to drink some protein for quick uptake/repair.

My wife never liked to eat breakfast. She wasn't hungry and forcing it was always a bad idea (I would tell her that she needed to eat something before going and working out.) Recently though, she hasn't had problems eating a bowl of cereal in the morning and going and working out within an hour... and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that she isn't snacking big snacks just before bed any more.

She wakes up wanting to eat now.

Comment

Curious, when do you eat dinner? and how close to before bed do you eat? versus when you get up in the morning?

We tend to eat dinner between 5pm and 6pm... and when I go into my weight loss regime, I tend to make a rule that says no eating after 7pm. I make exceptions to this for if I can't eat dinner until after 7pm (rarely) or if I am doing a evening strength workout and I want to drink some protein for quick uptake/repair.

My wife never liked to eat breakfast. She wasn't hungry and forcing it was always a bad idea (I would tell her that she needed to eat something before going and working out.) Recently though, she hasn't had problems eating a bowl of cereal in the morning and going and working out within an hour... and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that she isn't snacking big snacks just before bed any more.

She wakes up wanting to eat now.

It really depends on what's going on. If I am at home, we usually eat around 8:00 when my wife gets home from work.

On the road,
                AM's I could eat as early as 5:00 or 6:00 local time as I tend to be getting to the hotel by then.
                PM's I could eat as late as midnight for the same reason.

Comment

It really depends on what's going on. If I am at home, we usually eat around 8:00 when my wife gets home from work.

On the road,
                  AM's I could eat as early as 5:00 or 6:00 local time as I tend to be getting to the hotel by then.
                  PM's I could eat as late as midnight for the same reason.

So much variability. I can see how a peanut butter spread energy diet is nice, but I can see how a restrictive diet will be a problem. My life is fairly routine, but is so variable within that routine that I need a balance of options.

Comment

So much variability. I can see how a peanut butter spread energy diet is nice, but I can see how a restrictive diet will be a problem. My life is fairly routine, but is so variable within that routine that I need a balance of options.

I typically carry a food bag to cover me 5-6 out the 9 meals per trip. Not for any diet reason, but to save money. Hotel and airport meals are beyond expensive. (3-day food budget is $75 without packing my own meals, I can't justify that) The hard part is not having a place to heat things up on the plane. This restrictive diet isn't too bad because unbreaded wings, steaks, bun-less burgers, grilled chicken, salmon etc is very easy to get without added carbs.

Comment

The wife and I are starting today, and I was checking to see if anyone else was on it, maybe get some good recipes or pointers.

For those of you that don't know what a ketogenic diet is,
                      It is designed to break your body's use of glucose and suppress insulin production. This causes your body to live off of ketones instead of glucose, and ketones are pulled directly from fat.
                      Supposed to end up with longer lasting energy, body fat reduction, and fewer cravings throughout the day.

The diet is typically structured about
                      70% fat
                      25% protein
                      5% carbs

Supposedly the first few weeks are a little rough to get through as your body weans itself off of living from blood sugar, but after that it is supposed to be pretty easy as diets go.

I'm 172.8 today, and goal is 155. Not doing it quickly, just ending up there at some point.

Unless you are a horse jockey or 4'6", 172.8# is not over weight.

Comment

I typically carry a food bag to cover me 5-6 out the 9 meals per trip. Not for any diet reason, but to save money. Hotel and airport meals are beyond expensive. (3-day food budget is $75 without packing my own meals, I can't justify that) The hard part is not having a place to heat things up on the plane. This restrictive diet isn't too bad because unbreaded wings, steaks, bun-less burgers, grilled chicken, salmon etc is very easy to get without added carbs.

Not being able to heat things up is why I would want whole grain breads, fruit, nuts, etc. Not being able to refrigerate is the same reason. There is only so much canned chicken/tuna a man can eat (well, that IS the point of this diet.)

Kinda also reminds me of hiking trips or vacations. So we don't eat out, we pack an orange, bag of chips, and a peanut butter sandwich when we are on vacations. Really helps as none needs cooling and a PB&J has all the fat, fast, and slow carbs you need. Goes down quick too.

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
                          Unless you are a horse jockey or 4'6", 172.8# is not over weight.

I don't consider myself "overweight" just not where I want to be.

Comment

Not being able to heat things up is why I would want whole grain breads, fruit, nuts, etc. Not being able to refrigerate is the same reason. There is only so much canned chicken/tuna a man can eat (well, that IS the point of this diet.)

Kinda also reminds me of hiking trips or vacations. So we don't eat out, we pack an orange, bag of chips, and a peanut butter sandwich when we are on vacations. Really helps as none needs cooling and a PB&J has all the fat, fast, and slow carbs you need. Goes down quick too.

My bag stays cool well, I already pack things like cheeses, soups, meats and such. We are working on some travel friendly snack and meal recipes for me.

Comment

My bag stays cool well, I already pack things like cheeses, soups, meats and such. We are working on some travel friendly snack and meal recipes for me.

Well, if I were to go on this insane diet (and I wouldn't), the following would be in my bag of snacks:

Summer sausage or dried sausage
                              Big plastic container of assorted nuts
                              Cheese sticks
                              Whey protein powder with shaker bottle
                              Jerky
                              Canned tuna, chicken, salmon with trail dust seasoning.
                              I can my own venison so that
                              Pepperoni
                              Laxative
                              Gas medicine.

Comment

Laxative
                                Gas medicine.

Hahahaha!