Suppressor - trust vs individual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppressor - trust vs individual

Really looking at getting a suppressor and know it’s a long process but what is the advantage of a trust over individual; other than having more than one person with a trust?

Someone has to know this

Comment

With a trust you do not need to have the chief law enforcement officer in your county/city sign off on the purchase. Unless you happen to be on a first name basis with your CLEO they are not willing to sign off. With a trust you need only advise the CLEO that you are buying a NFA item. Sean Cody is the resident expert on all things NFA trust.

Comment

Passing your toys onto your family when you die is way easier with a trust. I say that with confidence, but I haven't died yet, sooooo.

Comment

All NFA items will be passed down when someone dies, without another tax stamp being paid for EACH item again. Just make change on trust. Allows those on trust to use items individually without others on trust being present.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
            With a trust you do not need to have the chief law enforcement officer in your county/city sign off on the purchase. Unless you happen to be on a first name basis with your CLEO they are not willing to sign off. With a trust you need only advise the CLEO that you are buying a NFA item. Sean Cody is the resident expert on all things NFA trust.
            This is not true anymore. It used to be the case. Now all you have to do is inform Leo offices. No CLEO sign off anymore.

The only real advantage to the trust is having multiple people that can use it.

I bought mine as an individual.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Trust is still the only way to go. It all deals with the fact that a trust never "Dies" therefore the suppressors never change "Hands" so you do not have to deal with the ATF when your kids inherit them.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy590 View Post
                This is not true anymore. It used to be the case. Now all you have to do is inform Leo offices. No CLEO sign off anymore.

The only real advantage to the trust is having multiple people that can use it.

I bought mine as an individual.

Yes , that happened with the passing of 41F. Thanks Obama.
                Another advantage you are overlooking is ONLY having to pay the stamp ONCE per item. Buying as a individual, the inheritors have to go through the whole process of owning a NFA item(s) and pay stamps AGAIN to retain ownership when the SOLE owner passes. A Trust, just adjust(add/delete) the paperwork of trustees and the world keeps spinning without a hiccup. Unless someone is already NFA approved and is a inheritor taking posession. The ATF will come asking for those stamped items and who has possession. If no one is, the items go to a class 3 dealer and sit in jail while the estate works out the paper work.
                Which does it sound like you want?
                Trust is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                  Yes , that happened with the passing of 41F. Thanks Obama.
                  Another advantage you are overlooking is ONLY having to pay the stamp ONCE per item. Buying as a individual, the inheritors have to go through the whole process of owning a NFA item(s) and pay stamps AGAIN to retain ownership when the SOLE owner passes. A Trust, just adjust(add/delete) the paperwork of trustees and the world keeps spinning without a hiccup. Unless someone is already NFA approved and is a inheritor taking posession. The ATF will come asking for those stamped items and who has possession. If no one is, the items go to a class 3 dealer and sit in jail while the estate works out the paper work.
                  Which does it sound like you want?
                  Trust is the way to go.
                  I believe the Form 5 will let you transfer without paying the tax again and they go through a different path and are typically approved much faster than a F4 or F1.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    I believe the Form 5 will let you transfer without paying the tax again and they go through a different path and are typically approved much faster than a F4 or F1.
                    Only on the first successor. When it happens again they have to pay the tax again. And if any named successor is not eligible the item has to be destroyed.

Trust makes all these scenarios much simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                      Only on the first successor. When it happens again they have to pay the tax again. And if any named successor is not eligible the item has to be destroyed.

Trust makes all these scenarios much simpler.
                      I agree, but they are not necessary for everyone in every situation. Suppressors are getting like computers, by the time you get yours up and running there is already a new one out that is better. Who is really going to want a 50 year old rimfire suppressor when the ones 50 years from now will be suppressing laser beams and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                        I agree, but they are not necessary for everyone in every situation. Suppressors are getting like computers, by the time you get yours up and running there is already a new one out that is better. Who is really going to want a 50 year old rimfire suppressor when the ones 50 years from now will be suppressing laser beams and stuff.
                        Might even be able to buy them off the shelf at Walmart in 50 years

Comment

Possession is the main advantage to the trust. Without it, if you leave your gun/suppressor at the camp while you run to town, everyone there is illegally in "possession" of that suppressor. Or if you leave it unlocked at the house with wife and kids, or if they have the ability to open safe where you store the suppressor then it is illegal possession. You can also add and remove people from the trust at any time.

I have a trust and the paperwork is harder now, but still worth it. I would ONLY put people that are close and available when you want one. I have the wife, son, brother and uncle are on the trust. Brother and uncle out of town, so bigger pain to get all paperwork signed.

Comment

I don’t see any advantage to buying as an individual unless you’re a childless devout bachelor that doesn’t care to have any friends close enough or significant others that you’d be willing to share your toys with. If that’s the case then you can save a few dollars. Otherwise, a trust is the way to go. For a minimal expense you keep a lot of options open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                              I don’t see any advantage to buying as an individual unless you’re a childless devout bachelor that doesn’t care to have any friends close enough or significant others that you’d be willing to share your toys with. If that’s the case then you can save a few dollars. Otherwise, a trust is the way to go. For a minimal expense you keep a lot of options open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I dont see any advantage to buying through a trust. I wont be lending it out to anyone. Wife will only use it when I'm around so no benefit for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X