No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have switched all my corn feeders to eliminators and no have no issues with coons on corn feeders, but protein feeders are a different story. Eliminators are the only way to go then you can get rid of the cages all together.

Comment

I agree with the eliminator plates. I have had two malfunction after 6 years in the field though. The Teflon collar fits snugly against the shaft of the plate. It allows the plate to slide up and down when the unit turns on. That tiny little gap will fill with corn dust and debris overtime it oxidizes and the plate will become stuck. Simple fix is to periodically remove the plate and disassemble it. Then take a pocket knife or sandpaper and scrape the crud off the shaft and return to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper87 View Post
        I agree with the eliminator plates. I have had two malfunction after 6 years in the field though. The Teflon collar fits snugly against the shaft of the plate. It allows the plate to slide up and down when the unit turns on. That tiny little gap will fill with corn dust and debris overtime it oxidizes and the plate will become stuck. Simple fix is to periodically remove the plate and disassemble it. Then take a pocket knife or sandpaper and scrape the crud off the shaft and return to use.
        Before each season, we take off all the eliminator plates and give them a look over. Usually spray some gun scrubber on there and wire brush any crud off. I've had a few of those white plastic collars go missing, usually have some spares on hand but have had good dealings with Eliminator sending new ones.

Comment

8-7-2016 Update

We purchased four of the Eliminator rectangular spinner plates. My brother is going to install them next weekend. After this installation, each feeder will have a 22in wide varmint cage and an Eliminator spinner plate, which should be more than enough to prevent them from getting the corn.

We still haven't received any rain since the beginning of June, so it's been a very dry summer.

Here are some recent trail cam pictures from our 1,000 ASF trough:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	MFDC0316 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	24456000

Name:	MFDC2006 (Large).jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	24456001

Name:	MFDC2405 (Large).jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	24456002

Name:	MFDC2417 (Large).jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	24456003

Name:	MFDC2605 (Large).jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	24456004

Name:	MFDC2754 (Large).jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	24456005

Name:	MFDC2776 (Large).jpg
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	24456006

Name:	MFDC6122 (Large).jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	24456007

We still haven't seen 4 big bucks from last year, so hopefully they will show their faces soon. We are seeing some good jumps in antler growth this year on some bucks, but I have been pretty discouraged with the growth of some other bucks. I will say that our younger deer, especially the 2.5yr olds, seem to get better and better every year. I still think we really need to thin out our herd a little more. We are doing a deer count with our biologist in late August, so I'll pick his brain and see what he thinks. I'll upload some more pictures later next week once I'm back in town.

Comment

Looking Great!

Comment

Those eliminator plates will cut your corn cost ten fold. We recently installed them and went from 2 sacks a week per feeder to 30lbs a week per feeder with the same settings. Such a relief being able to cut out all that wasted money and put it towards something else, like protein.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

That narrow 10 is a really nice two year old. I'd kill that big 8 this fall. His 2's are long, but 3's leave some to be desired. That said, he's bigger than anything running around our place this year. The drought of 2011 really hurt our place and it shows with the lack of mature deer to harvest this season.

Comment

Originally posted by TxHuntFish View Post
                  That narrow 10 is a really nice two year old. I'd kill that big 8 this fall. His 2's are long, but 3's leave some to be desired. That said, he's bigger than anything running around our place this year. The drought of 2011 really hurt our place and it shows with the lack of mature deer to harvest this season.
                  Thanks. I agree on the big 8 and wish his G3's were taller although I love his frame, width and brow tines. That one buck with the tall brow tines (picture #5) didn't really get much bigger this year from last year, so not sure if we should take him or not. He doesn't have great height and I think he is 4.5 or 5.5yrs. Which 10pt are you referring as a 2.5yr old, just curious?

I really like the young 10pt in the last picture. His frame is nice. Any thoughts on what you think his age is? I was thinking 3.5yrs.

There is a 10pt in picture # 4 that looks like a 1.5yr old, but it's hard to believe he is 1.5yrs, so I was thinking he's a 2.5yr old. His body looks like a yearling. What do y'all think?
                  Last edited by bgleaton; 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                    Thanks. I agree on the big 8 and wish his G3's were taller although I love his frame, width and brow tines. That one buck with the tall brow tines (picture #5) didn't really get much bigger this year from last year, so not sure if we should take him or not. He doesn't have great height and I think he is 4.5 or 5.5yrs. Which 10pt are you referring as a 2.5yr old, just curious?

I really like the young 10pt in the last picture. His frame is nice. Any thoughts on what you think his age is? I was thinking 3.5yrs.

There is a 10pt in picture # 4 that looks like a 1.5yr old, but it's hard to believe he is 1.5yrs, so I was thinking he's a 2.5yr old. His body looks like a yearling. What do y'all think?
                    The 10 in the first and second picture was the two year old I was referring to.

The 10 in the last pic I believed to be a three year old at first glance. He'll probably always be lacking in tine length, but he does have a pretty frame.

That little ten could very well be just a year old. If so, he's definitely one to watch. My biggest yearlings will usually only have six points. I may have one that has 8 this year. I'd have to go back through pics to see. About half of our yearlings are spikes. We try to get all our deer to 4.5 before culling (with a few exceptions). We have an ugly three year old 8 running around that is going to die this season. He was an ugly 8 last year and an ugly six point as a yearling.
                    Last edited by TxHuntFish; 08-07-2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Bgleaton did y'all have any trouble getting the dear to come eat out of these new trough feeders? I just put in one of the Allseasons electric trough feeders and the Bucks haven't come around it in two weeks now.
                      Some of the doe are showing up but not all of them.

Chootum!

Comment

We haven't had any trouble with any deer eating out of the All-Seasons trough or any of our Krivoman protein feeders. We had to make some modifications to our trough feeder to keep the raccoons and turkeys from eating out of it. This time of year, they normally go through 1,000lbs in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Comment

I added an All Seasons trough feeder at every protein station about 4 years ago. They were all added to established feed stations and quickly became the preferred feeder in every pen compared to the old feeders. Old feeders are 20yr old cattle trough feeders and newer spout feeders. For some reason, deer love this feeder!

Comment

I agree. They love our ASF trough feeder. This trough feeder has the most activity around it when compared to all of our other feeder locations.

Comment

great looking place

Comment

We haven't had any trouble with any deer eating out of the All-Seasons trough or any of our Krivoman protein feeders. We had to make some modifications to our trough feeder to keep the raccoons and turkeys from eating out of it. This time of year, they normally go through 1,000lbs in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                                I added an All Seasons trough feeder at every protein station about 4 years ago. They were all added to established feed stations and quickly became the preferred feeder in every pen compared to the old feeders. Old feeders are 20yr old cattle trough feeders and newer spout feeders. For some reason, deer love this feeder!

I agree. They love our ASF trough feeder. This trough feeder has the most activity around it when compared to all of our other feeder locations.

Man I don't get it. We're now going on the third week and I don't have a single picture of the mature bucks any where around this feeder. They were eating about 500 pounds per week and not it's almost not moving.

I'm still using the same protein and it's located in almost the exact same place.

Chootum!

Comment

Working...
                                X