Spring Food plots, getting ready.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like that tire roller!

So I thought cow peas were a winter forage? I might have to look at planting these soon, too.

Comment

Radar that's looking really good ! Where did you get the fertilizer and spreader from? I'm in bee county not far from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
        Radar that's looking really good ! Where did you get the fertilizer and spreader from? I'm in bee county not far from you.
        I rent it from Pruski's Ag near Stockdale, they will make whatever blend of fertilizer you want. I paid 350.00 for a ton of fertilizer and they let you use the buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          I like that tire roller!

So I thought cow peas were a winter forage? I might have to look at planting these soon, too.
          There is a pea called Austrian Winter, those would be winter or fall peas. Cow peas wont make much after October in my area, they start dying out.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            I rent it from Pruski's Ag near Stockdale, they will make whatever blend of fertilizer you want. I paid 350.00 for a ton of fertilizer and they let you use the buggy.
            Thanks! I drive by there every trip. If you ever need anything give me a holler. I go down twice a month.

Comment

[ATTACH]953150[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]953151[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]953152[/ATTACH]

Deer already hitting food plots, they are eating the Sunn Hemp more than the peas. I need more rain.
              Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

96 degrees here and wind is gusting at 18mph, gonna dry out quick. Strange weather so far.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    96 degrees here and wind is gusting at 18mph, gonna dry out quick. Strange weather so far.
                    You didn't get any rain last weekend ? The creek below my house is running willow to willow.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      You didn't get any rain last weekend ? The creek below my house is running willow to willow.
                      Got two inches and cant even tell it rained.

Its so dry, the coons is hauling water to the sweet corn patch.

Comment

I started a thread in ATC not knowing this one was here. I've got about 1 1/2 acres planted. I will check on it this weekend and see if anything has sprouted yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          I started a thread in ATC not knowing this one was here. I've got about 1 1/2 acres planted. I will check on it this weekend and see if anything has sprouted yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Looks like a good spot with trees on both sides, I dont know how good clover will do in your area but in mine it cant take the hot and dry weather too good. What is in the Super Buck blend?

Food plots is a bad habit, but I like messin with them.

Comment

I honestly don't know besides clay peas and clover. I've never planted this brand and wanted to give it a try. I haven't had much luck with clover in the spring. I did turnips last fall and they never got palatable for the deer all winter. They never touched them. I planted a 50 lb sac of pintos and the deer loved those.

Comment

Radar what was you #/acre for your seed when you planted? I think I usually over seed but I went a little closer to recommended this time and I’m just worried my yield is gonna be sparse once it germinates.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                                Radar what was you #/acre for your seed when you planted? I think I usually over seed but I went a little closer to recommended this time and I’m just worried my yield is gonna be sparse once it germinates.
                                50 pounds Cow peas, 10 pounds Sunn Hemp and 6 pounds Peridovic Sun Flowers. So 66 pounds total per acre, but I am broadcasting the seed and not using a grain drill. Lot of seed goes to waste when broadcasting.

I mix mine in the hopper with a drill and mortar mixing auger, I use scale and make a reference mark on a bucket for 5lbs of each seed. I just fill the bucket to the reference mark and dump it in the hopper.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X