Spring Food plots, getting ready.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Food plots, getting ready.

I sprayed herbicide Friday, this year I am targeting the nut grass. Mix was Gly and Broadbloom , I hope it works. My hog problems stem from the nutgrass, they will root up a field quick looking for that stuff.

Ordered seed, 700 pounds IC peas, 150 pounds Sunn Hemp.

Did a walk thru my fields yesterday and found this big old turnip.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:52 PM.

Can you make shine out of turbip?

Comment

Probably not enough sugar in it, maybe sugar beets though.

Comment

That's a big ole turnip. May have to start team turnip next year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a big turnip! Are you planting with a drill or do plan on discing first? Thinking that if you disc you will have to spray again before you plant.
          Where did you order your seeds?

Comment

I just spray, disc and broadcast the seed and cover it. I would love to have a no till drill.

I ordered the Sunn Hemp from Hancock seed, the IC peas come from Douglas King seed in San Antonio.

Comment

Did you chase that turnip down with that beer.[emoji16] Good luck with the spring plot I never had any luck with them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Jeff, did you ever try the Basagran on that nutsedge ? It's expensive, but it worked for me. What little I had left after treatment I got in last summer's drought by just discing the hell out of it when it was hot and dry.

I'm about to start too, got lime to put down and ordered a little seed today from my local store. I'm not in full blown plotting mode yet, but it won't be long. Good luck on the hogs !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  Jeff, did you ever try the Basagran on that nutsedge ? It's expensive, but it worked for me. What little I had left after treatment I got in last summer's drought by just discing the hell out of it when it was hot and dry.

I'm about to start too, got lime to put down and ordered a little seed today from my local store. I'm not in full blown plotting mode yet, but it won't be long. Good luck on the hogs !
                  Broadbloom is the generic Basagran, its mixable with gly too. I sprayed last Friday and seen some Canadian Thistle already wilting on Sunday.

I backed off the hog killin during deer season and it sure shows now. I have two different sounders that have close to 15 in each one. My neighbors are wanting me to start killin them again.

Comment

How many acres?

Comment

About 9 acres for the food plots.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        Broadbloom is the generic Basagran, its mixable with gly too. I sprayed last Friday and seen some Canadian Thistle already wilting on Sunday.

I backed off the hog killin during deer season and it sure shows now. I have two different sounders that have close to 15 in each one. My neighbors are wanting me to start killin them again.
                        Learn something new everyday ! I kill them whenever and wherever but I didn't see any during deer season. I think the combo of lots of hunters in the woods and a good acorn crop kept them out of my plots in daylight. I have plenty of them showing up on cams now, mostly at night, and I'll start night hunting now that the weather is getting warmer. There's something about below forties nights that just doesn't appeal to me.

Comment

I planted this past weekend, hopefully we got rain coming in. I fertilized Friday at 300 pounds per acre 25-10-10

Comment

Hit the fields with the disc, lots of turnips to make good compost and bring up nitrogen.

Comment

Of course the day would not complete unless I buried my tractor. I found a underground pocket and hit so hard my tractor high centered itself on the hitch.

Comment

Working...
                              X