No announcement yet.

Fireplace or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Def a to each their own, i love them and will always have one inside and out.

Comment

Fireplace or not?

I'd go with.

I use our shoebox sized fake wood burner to purge my utility receipts every year while my wife uses it to set the mood.

action photo-
      Last edited by DaveC; 02-15-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

When we remodeled our (new to us) house in 2016, we took out the crappy builder grade fireplace and put in a wood stove. Love it, heats most of the downstairs and the house doesn't smell like a BBQ joint. My only regret is that I would have bought a larger one. Finding firewood that is 12-13 inches long is a hassle. I just buy a half cord or so and cut it in half.

Comment

Obviously fireplaces are just a personal choice. For me, if I want a fire, I want to be outside. If I want to be warm, I turn up the thermostat. My wife agrees, so for us, we chose no fireplace in our new build, last fall. It's all about your personal desire. It is your house, who cares what anyone else thinks, they don't have to live there. I doubt it would be a deal breaker for most people.

Comment

I can take or leave them. If it's open face, gas is fine. More likely to use. If I want it to heat the house, it must be a stove (freestanding or built-in). And if I get to start from scratch, it will be a built-in stove that burns outside air. I love the heat from a stove but if it is not vented to outside, it will make a house drafty in places.

Our city house has a big wood burning stove. I honestly won't fire it up unless it's on a cold weekend when i will be home to keep it going. We have an outside fire pit that gets the most use hanging out with neighbors and friends.

The lake house has a built-in stove that pulls air from the attic. Even the smallest fire will burn you out of that house so it has to be cold outside. The plus is it uses the least wood. And we also have a fire pit by the lake and a chiminea on the deck that get the most use.
            Last edited by Rush2Judge; 02-15-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Wood stove is the way to go! Fire places are nice but don’t heat near as well.

Comment

When we built our log home in 2000, they wanted way to much to add a fire place. We added a gas stove after freezing our *** of the first winter in it. Its a heavy cast iron one and will heat the whole house really well. My parents switched their fire place to a gas log system after all us kids moved out. That is the route I would go if you feel you need a fireplace. Much easier to use and keep clean. If I need a real fire, I do that outside at the fire pit.

Comment

Reluctantly I am putting one in my new home. Personally, I think they are for looks only because if I want to warm up, I'll crank up the central heat.

Comment

Must have for us! We use ours all the time and it does a decent job of heating the living room and kitchen. If you want something strictly for heat I would go with a wood burning stove.

Comment

How are you insulating the walls? If you use spray foam, the fire place installers will likely require you to sign a release form stating you under stand the risks and relieve them of responsibility should something happen (at least that's what the wife and I just went through last year). We were told that they only recommend the enclosed for spray foam houses because the other two could allow either smoke or gas to fill the house because foam homes are not as drafty as traditionally insulated homes. That said, we went with a wood burning fire place and installed a fresh air intake in another room which allows the fireplace to function as intended.

Comment

Built in 2013 and yet to build a fire

Comment

IMO they are for looks. My HVAC system does the same thing a fireplace does for a home. But with that being said, they do look good and I will probably make sure I have one in my next home.

Comment

gotta have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                              Fireplaces are great...if you like cutting and hauling firewood, cleaning fireplaces, and paying to have the chimney cleaned.
                              what he said

Comment

Working...
                              X