Aransas NWR 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lordnorvelli View Post
    Did you ever hear about anyone having their tripod stolen from the hunt area? I'm bringing one but this is by far my biggest concern. Also, do I truly need the entire day to scout on scouting day? I'm doing some pre-scouting with OnX Hunt.
    Years ago, it happened every once in a while. That was back when it was a $1 a day to archery hunt and the place had a lot of hunters.
    Since the Park service has started charging $120 or $160, I don't remember, for a weekend hunt, the number of people went way down. I never heard of anyone having problems. Now the state has taken over the hunting out there and only doing the drawings. I would bet you won't have any problems, but it is possible. It could be a whole new group of people hunting out there for the drawn hunt.
    I always took a long cable and a lock and would lock my tripod to a tree, if I did not set it up where I knew it would not be found. During bow season, I know of places to hunt, where I can set up a tripod, I would not worry about anyone ever finding my tripod. During the rifle season, it's a different story, I did lock my tripod to a tree.

Comment

You guys in rifle 3 this weekend should luck out with the cooler weather. Deer should be moving. Enjoy it. Rifle 2 was tough.

Comment

Probably a lot of rain as well there.

Comment

Looks like it's going to be cold and wet. Passed through there last night and the ground was soaked.

Hopefully the mosquitoes won't be so bad.

Tried getting a tripod but not in the budget. Just gonna wing it.

I'll be out there Friday morning trying scouting.

Comment

It's snowing in San Antonio.

Take your rubber boots and rain gear.

Mosquitos should not be a problem.

Comment

Yeah, I’m in San Antonio. This snow is definitely going to delay my departure tomorrow. Oh well, should still be fun.

Comment

Cold, wet, and snow here in Calhoun County. Headed to Aransas in a bit.

Comment

This morning's hunt should be the best rifle hunt on the refuge in the last 10 years because of the weather. Bucks will be moving during the day. Lets see some LDP'S and pictures of the kill board.

I've never had any tri-pods or ladder stands stolen, but did have a couple of them repositioned and hunted. Lost several stands due to the refuge closing the hunt due to weather and the govt being shut down, I'm guessing they were picked up by the refuge, had a well built tripod and heard two refuge personnel got into a pretty heavy fist fight over it.

When Brent took over in 1987 after Frank Johnson passed away he raised the then current $20 bow hunt fee to $65, he said the funds were needed to keep the hunt going if the govt ever shut down, just another bs lie. This year with TPWD taking over just the drawing mind you, they raised the bow hunt fee to what $130/$160 ????. Wouldn't suprise if they cancelled the bowhunt because so few put in for it...

Comment

12/9 -57 hunters, 1 buck, 1 doe, 3 hogs

Nobody saw anything all day. Pretty miserable so far. I’ll keep y’all updated.

Comment

My group saw 1 buck, tall, heavy horns, around noon. No shot opportunity.
                      1 hog in the evening. No shot opportunity.

Just heard a shot a few minutes ago.

Comment

I have heard them both mornings in the scrub oak but they won’t come out. The scrub oak is 12–5 ft tall and thick so there is no seeing theough it or over it. Satelite photos show ways to get back in it but its all overgrown. This is tough stuff.

Comment

Yeah, I don’t think my 12 ft tripod is even making that much of a difference where I’m at. Like you said, the brush is 12-15 ft high

Comment

Ive hunted the refuge the past 7 years bow and rifle up till this year secondary to the TPWD drawing, it is NEVER an easy hunt but each year you go you learn how to hunt the terrain, what to look for, and how to be patient or aggressive when you need to. Hunt ON!!!

Comment

Ground checked a piggie. Man these are some poor looking hogs.
                              Saw some by the check station yesterday around lunch time and they were poor looking as well.

My buddy put a stalk on a pig but it spooked before he could see it.

Definitely a hard hunt! First public hunt ever and it's been a blast.

Comment

Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday Evening my youngest son Landon killed a 40#
                                Pig. Sunday morning my oldest son Logan called in and shot a 4 point buck. They have semester tests this week so I had to bring them home Sunday evening, and I have the rest of the hunt by myself. We have seen pigs but mostly small ones. I did see 5 180-200# pigs last night when I was driving to down burgentine rd.
                                I have seen deer on the roads every evening after getting in my truck. A guy staying in one of the cabins at hoppers has shot two nice bucks. I have seen alot of people packing up and leaving. Good luck to all of us for the remainder of the hunt. See yall out there I'm in the red and white pop up camper at hoppers and driving a silver F-150.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X