No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I plant in this heat that'll still produce? I'm going to have some more space in the raised beds soon because the aragula is getting too bitter in this heat, and the lettuce is starting to bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      Anybody ever train your zucchini plant to a stake? I’m giving it a try because they are just taking up WAY too much space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Haven’t used a stake but last fall I put tomato cages around them trying to get them to grow straight up. Starts off ok but they eventually end up doing whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick'n'String View Post
        What can I plant in this heat that'll still produce? I'm going to have some more space in the raised beds soon because the aragula is getting too bitter in this heat, and the lettuce is starting to bolt.
        I’ve had success growing okra & sweet potato in the intense summer heat. It may be too late this year to plant peanuts but something I want to give a try.

Comment

Originally posted by DBHIII View Post
          I’ve had success growing okra & sweet potato in the intense summer heat. It may be too late this year to plant peanuts but something I want to give a try.
          Thanks for the input. I think I'll try some okra

Comment

Yep, okra will thrive in this heat! until it starts blooming, be sure and keep it watered...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Yep, okra will thrive in this heat! until it starts blooming, be sure and keep it watered...
              x2. We've been getting quite a bit of okra already. It should only get better the hotter it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                yep. one of my romas in a bucket has it. add calcium and make sure water stays regulated. it will pull through and is amendable if proper precautions are taken.
                Will adding a fertilizer help or only calcium? I have it as well...

Comment

Man, we are way late to the game, but things are starting to make now... My wife's first harvest (other than blackberries runnin' out our ears) from Friday:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7494.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	24542183

Name:	IMG_7495.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	24542184

Check out that zucchini!! Her plants are growing so fast now after I side dressed everything about 2 weeks ago with triple 13, this sucker was just hidden!

Name:	IMG_7496.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	24542185

Comment

Pulled some onions today to cure.

My onion sets were slow this year, and the Swiss chard and lettuce got over top of them. So, only about half had decent sized bulbs.
                    With the lettuce and chard having a hard time, and not tasting as sweet, in this heat... I’m considering clearing the bed. Anything y’all would recommend planting this time of year that could make it through the summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                      Will adding a fertilizer help or only calcium? I have it as well...
                      As long as the fertilizer has calcium. I like the Miracle Gro Shake n Feed With Calcium for this application. You can usually buy it at any Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. The Epsom Salt Spray works too. After 1.5/2 weeks I'm already pulling Roma's and the situation seems to be under control.

Just be careful about introducing too much nitrogen. Any standard garden fertilizer with calcium should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        As long as the fertilizer has calcium. I like the Miracle Gro Shake n Feed With Calcium for this application. You can usually buy it at any Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. The Epsom Salt Spray works too. After 1.5/2 weeks I'm already pulling Roma's and the situation seems to be under control.

Just be careful about introducing too much nitrogen. Any standard garden fertilizer with calcium should be fine.
                        Thanks.. put down fertilizer yesterday and got a good rain today. Hope all gets remedied. Thanks.

Comment

Well, I finished up knockin' the weeds/grass back with the tiller and the wife made another harvest... This stuff is just now gettin' going and it's about to start makin' more work for (and as a result, me) that we bargained for! Sure looking good though! The gaps in the rows are left over from when the garden flooded in the early Spring and those were the surviving plants that and she never went back and filled in the gaps... Purple hull peas are beginning to put out some purple hulls ready for picking... just not quite enough to get a good picking yet...

Name:	IMG_7505.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	24542333

Name:	IMG_7506.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	24542334

Name:	IMG_7507.jpg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	24542335

Name:	IMG_7509.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	24542336

Name:	IMG_7510.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	24542337

In addition to this gathering yesterady, she picked another gallon blackberries... They're about done with the Floracane crop, but the Primacane blooms are just now gettin' going...

Comment

Hows y'all gardens coming along?

Hogs really tore me up bad and i only have a few dozen stalks of corn left and TWO watermelons (that's IF they survive)

What can I plant now that'll let me salvage the summer?
                            What should I be looking to plant now or late summer to harvest in fall? Purple hull peas? Pumpkins? (I already planted two separate batches of pumpkins and both times hogs wiped them out)

Comment

this is the stage of most of my g90

Comment

Things are staying green but not a lot of production.

Comment

Working...
                                X