No announcement yet.

Public Hunting Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

light weight everything! Think outside the box.

Comment

Originally posted by allenshawn1 View Post
      light weight everything! Think outside the box.

Exactly, at the end of the year I think about what I can leave home or in the truck next year.

Comment

More time!!

I got in 5 days of hunting, and going for the last 3 of ML!

Comment

anyone got opinions on hang on stands something comfortable and easy to walk with on your back research is telling me either millennium or lone wolf the millennium looks more comfortable for longer sits

Comment

The way I have my lone wolf packed it is more comfortable than my hiking packs. Have heard good reviews from friends on the millennium stands though. May give one a try this summer once I free up some funds. I have only had an issue with one part wearing out on the line wolf where the seat adjustment bolt has destroyed a little wear plate that prevents sound. That’s after 1 season of heavy hunting all pack in pack out on public land.

Comment

yeah im thinking of going with the millennium either m100u or the m150 with the lone wolf climbing sticks! il let you know when I get it and how it feels

Comment

For the small difference in price I would suggest stepping up to the 150. The extra few inches can make a big difference in comfort. This becomes exponentially more important for me on longer/all day sits. Also looks like the seat height may be adjustable. If that correct I think the 150 is the obvious choice. If you were not so far, I would let you give my gear a test. I used to travel to your area a lot for work, but that is no longer the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
                  For the small difference in price I would suggest stepping up to the 150. The extra few inches can make a big difference in comfort. This becomes exponentially more important for me on longer/all day sits. Also looks like the seat height may be adjustable. If that correct I think the 150 is the obvious choice. If you were not so far, I would let you give my gear a test. I used to travel to your area a lot for work, but that is no longer the case.

I took a look at these side by side while I was at bass pro today getting replacement boots. There is a bigger difference in size than I expected based on the specs on the millennium stands. They sit back to back in the picture for comparison. The seat sits quite a bit further over the stand than I remembered as well. They look comfortable, but I wish there was a platform in between these two sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I’m a bigger guy 6”0 240. So the m150 is prob better for me but I’m a run n gun public land guy always moving stands hunting the winds and scrapes/rubs that are in my favor. So mobility is important to me as well. But I none of that means jack if your uncomfortable and cut the hunt early bc of it so the added weight and Bulkiness is prob something I will take in for comfort

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxHog View Post
                      Yeah I’m a bigger guy 6”0 240. So the m150 is prob better for me but I’m a run n gun public land guy always moving stands hunting the winds and scrapes/rubs that are in my favor. So mobility is important to me as well. But I none of that means jack if your uncomfortable and cut the hunt early bc of it so the added weight and Bulkiness is prob something I will take in for comfort
                      Sounds like a fair decision. Looking forward to your feedback after you get some seat time in your new rig.

Comment

Recognize the biggest urban areas on your maps and work far from them. More individuals breaks even with more seekers, and that is no greaert. You need to be a decent hour from metropolitan zones, and almost that a long way from moderate size urban areas, as well. In a perfect world, the closest town to your chasing spot ought to have just two or three corner stores, a coffee shop, and perhaps a roadside motel.

Comment

As everyone has said, get a good pair of waterproof boots. Also a study and comfortable frame backpack because a lot of times you’ll have to quarter the animal in the field and walk it back to your vehicle. I always have my solar powered phone charger and baby wipes, those are a must. Just this past season I got a ghost blind and I love it. I’ve tried pop up blinds but with only a few days to scout, learn, and hunt the area, the animals notice it and won’t get anywhere near it. I was skeptical at first but once I saw a ghost blind in person I knew I had to get one. You can pretty much setup anywhere you want and it’s light weight so it’s not that tough to carry around with you. Other than those things I would just say get out there and take mental notes of what could make that hunt easier next year. Good luck!

Comment

Water purification. I have run out on SHNF enough times that I bought a purifier. Might not taste the best, but better than dehydration!

Comment

Public Hunting Gear

It is an easy way to hunt and I am hunting a long day

Comment

A good pack that allows you to pack out an animal (screw a game cart!!!)
                                Good hiking boots
                                Waterproof Gaiters
                                High quality synthetic outer clothing layers over merino or bamboo inner layers (camo doesn't matter, quality is waaayyyy more important)

Comment

Working...
                                X