No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a few things going..toms..cucumber..herbs..melons. .peppers...get pics later...

and for yall in east Texas pine straw is great mulch in the garden. ..hell they sell it for $6 a couple cubic ft here in Austin if you can find it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

I got my Dutch bucket hydro system set up today... year 2 and I'm anxious to see the results! I'll never grow tomatoes, or peppers in soil again!

Comment

Gonna be moving next month. I'm hoping it won't be too late to till and plant. Onions and taters are out the picture this year I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
          I see a lot of y'all covering your gardens with hay. What is the overall consensus on this school of thought? I've heard good and bad. What type of hay do y'all use?

Hoggslayer
          Well i was going to use wood chips and probably still will go that route in the future. My brother has a barn full of spoiled hay so i went with it as a starter. Ill report back if i have an abundance or weeds from seeds in the hay. Slick could be right and i just shot myself in the foot.

Youtube "hay in the garden". Tons of vidoes on it. And if you havent watched the back to Eden video, i highly recommend that. The way he references gardening to scripture is pretty neat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            My experience with using regular old hay (coastal hay) is that it is full of "hayseeds"... You'll be fighting grass in the garden or anywhere you use hay for "mulch". Straw will work, but still will have some seeding from its use.

Same here. Why we use wood mulch. Same concept but no seeds and by next spring it’s well composted into the garden soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My experience with using regular old hay (coastal hay) is that it is full of "hayseeds"... You'll be fighting grass in the garden or anywhere you use hay for "mulch". Straw will work, but still will have some seeding from its use.
              X2 if you can find some really clean straw hay it works great, regular old hay and your bringing in all kinds of seeds. Been there done that. Still pulling weeds brought in from a round bale I put in the garden. Atwoods has straw square bales pretty cheep and they're really clean.

Comment

If your in blackland, or don't have well drained soil, you can have issues with water retention, too, if your whole garden is covered in hay/mulch. Especially in the early season. When the temps heat up, not so much a problem.

Comment

I've been using alfalfa hay as mulch last couple years. My niece raises race horses and get weed free organic alfalfa. I like it a lot. That said I have ordered my first 40 yard load of wood chips and will be switching to that. Gonna make an edible yard. { more so than it already is }

Love the 'back to eden' videos

Comment

I am trying a container pepper grow. I have Jalapenos, cowhorns, habenaros, serranos, tabascos, sweet peppers, green peppers, banana peppers, ghosts and reapers. All are outside now besides the reapers. I just wanted to see what grows best but am thinking my pots are too small. Most are in 2-3 gallon pots and a few in 5 gallon. I have pruned all except for the reapers and seeing new growth. Im also worried that things will get bad in middle and late summer due to heat. Everyones gardens look great, Im almost embarrassed. My grow is completely experimental and im expecting some failures. Any container pepper growers here I can communicate with? Will post pics soon, Thanks y'all

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                      I am trying a container pepper grow. I have Jalapenos, cowhorns, habenaros, serranos, tabascos, sweet peppers, green peppers, banana peppers, ghosts and reapers. All are outside now besides the reapers. I just wanted to see what grows best but am thinking my pots are too small. Most are in 2-3 gallon pots and a few in 5 gallon. I have pruned all except for the reapers and seeing new growth. Im also worried that things will get bad in middle and late summer due to heat. Everyones gardens look great, Im almost embarrassed. My grow is completely experimental and im expecting some failures. Any container pepper growers here I can communicate with? Will post pics soon, Thanks y'all
                      I grow my bells and japs in pots most of the time. 2-3 gallons will be pretty small for them, especially the bells. Mine do well in 5-10 gallon containers. Good luck!!

Comment

Our little “Back to Eden” garden is doing pretty good thus far. We have several tomatoes, bells, strawberries, and blackberries producing. I rolled the dice for the third year in a row and planted early February with awesome results!

We put our organic scraps directly in the garden for nutrients and as a result at will cantaloupe, garlic, and potatoes are everywhere. I’m loving it!

Comment

Geez...you guys are way ahead. My seedlings are still inside

Comment

I got everything planted yesterday evening except for watermelon and cantaloupe. We are getting a good rain here in Ellis County. Thank you Lord...

Comment

I built my wife's bed border out of treated 2X10's, but if you don't want that high, you could use 2X8 or 2X6... I used those 90 degree storm plates and galvanized screws. It's been up almost 6 years and still going strong... You can get standard 2X_ lumber standard in 12 footers... Lowe's or HD may not have 'em but a real lumber yard will have 'em... McCoy's or Sutherlands, etc. They're heavy, but not as heavy as cross ties!!
                              Thanks this helps a lot..

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                                Our little “Back to Eden” garden is doing pretty good thus far. We have several tomatoes, bells, strawberries, and blackberries producing. I rolled the dice for the third year in a row and planted early February with awesome results!

We put our organic scraps directly in the garden for nutrients and as a result at will cantaloupe, garlic, and potatoes are everywhere. I’m loving it!

Looking awesome this year again Michael!

Comment

Working...
                                X