Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    I start mine once a month also. Got it out yesterday......it started before the first pull was done. Let it run for about 15 minutes and cut off the gas supply.
    Yep. Do the same here.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
      Not sure about that, the generator only pushes 13.5 amps I believe. Plug in that much stuff at once and you will likely pop the breaker on it when motors cycle on and off.
      I'll most likely run the freezer for 10-15 minutes then the fridge for a few to keep it all cool.

Thats all if we even lose power this far north, but im pretty sure we will. A cow down the road can fart and we lose power on most days.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
        [ATTACH]869972[/ATTACH]
        String theory???

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Merica ain't 'fraid a no herrican!

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post

mind you this is forecast hour 120. 5 days from now. Thats a hurricane sitting off the coast of galveston on Tuesday.
            Yep and a cat 2 at that i been referring to this prediction all along in this thread.

Comment

I'll most likely run the freezer for 10-15 minutes then the fridge for a few to keep it all cool.

Thats all if we even lose power this far north, but im pretty sure we will. A cow down the road can fart and we lose power on most days.
              I think you will be fine with a refrigerator and freezer plugged in. I was doubting whoever said you could run a window unit and fans on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                'Merica ain't 'fraid a no herrican!
                Ted Nugent?

Comment

This one developing so quick and pressure, reminds me of the stories about Hurricane Audrey.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Have Friends heading to Gonzalez to stay in a hotel..... wouldn't Gonzalez area be prone to more tornadoes compared to the Victoria/Edna area? Idk that maybe a dumb question lol just trying to figure this beast out.

Comment

For things like fridges, it isn't the running power of the fridge, it is the startup power that you have to consider. Your 2000i might be real close on the amount of power it can handle for the startup of fridge/freezers.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                        Not sure about that, the generator only pushes 13.5 amps I believe. Plug in that much stuff at once and you will likely pop the breaker on it when motors cycle on and off.

That depends a lot on which Generator you have, there are lots of different models. What is the WATT rating of your generator. Usually given in 2 numbers normal output and peak output. Normal is for max continuous peak is for max with motor startup.

Ohms law volts X amps = Watts

so 120X13.5= 1620 watts

On running a fridge and freezer at the same time, hook them in at different times so startup is not hitting from both at the same time. Also just run until they shut off. Most generators run time on a tank of fuel are listed for 50% load so if running more than that their estimated fuel consumption will be higher

Watts/volts = amperage

one horse power is 748 watts
                        Last edited by kmon; 08-24-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

One thing we learned about generators from not having power for 13 days after Ike, is that it's pretty expensive to keep one going constantly.

I guess what I'm saying is it's kind of a fallacy to spend $25-30 per day to keep a freezer going after a week. Perhaps if you have a ton of meat. However, we eventually unplugged our freezer as it didn't make sense to keep it going just to save a couple hundred dollars worth of meat.

Post Ike, I would have much preferred to run a window unit AC, lights and TV over the freezer.

Comment

I've alway lived by the "plug stuff in until the breaker trips." Then you unplug the last thing and rock and roll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                              That depends a lot on which Generator you have, there are lots of different models. What is the WATT rating of your generator. Usually given in 2 numbers normal output and peak output. Normal is for max continuous peak is for max with motor startup.

Ohms law volts X amps = Watts

so 120X13.5= 1620 watts

Watts/volts = amperage

one horse power is 748 watts
                              The gentleman asked specifically about the Honda E2000i, which is what I was addressing. I have owned this generator and was cautioning him about it's max amp load.

AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                Yep and a cat 2 at that i been referring to this prediction all along in this thread.
                                If this were the case, most people around Houston and Beaumont areas would be in a total bind. The roads could potentially be flooded and not have any way of getting out of town before it makes landfall again.

Comment

Working...
                                X