Malinois Belgian Shepherds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k9trainer View Post
    Don't do it. Most folks see a highly trained one on tv or videos and instantly go out and buy one. They are working dogs and should have tasks and daily work. Get a good shepherd and find you a trainer that can help attain your goals. You're looking at years to get where you want. You'll have to choke so much drive out of that mal that you'll just be better off with the GSD
    Thanks for your input

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
      European working line GSD. German Shepherd Dog. 1/2 DDR 1/2 Czech. Ama,ing animal. High drives and needs lots of exercise. They are better suited for pets.....although not for the weak. Malanois' are amazing dogs but are very high drive and some do not have an off switch. The name is Belgian Malanois. There are also Dutch Shepherds and Belgian Shepherds.

I would say stick with the GSD......but not American lines. They are not true rep of what. German Shepherd Dog is supposed to be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Thanks Billy

Comment

But we aren't talking about lacys
        Not really a fan of lacys anymore. Going thru what is happening to the mal right now. Popularity kills working breeds.
        Absolutely, hype about the breed has resulted in two extremely unfortunate situations: working dogs being sold under false pretenses to pet homes, creating difficult living situations that often lead to the Lacys being surrendered; and previously solid lines being watered down, slowly degrading the breed as a whole. The cutesy pet owner bs on facebook makes me gag.

Comment

If you're not prepared to spend tons of time training and working with it. I wouldn't get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
            Absolutely, hype about the breed has resulted in two extremely unfortunate situations: working dogs being sold under false pretenses to pet homes, creating difficult living situations that often lead to the Lacys being surrendered; and previously solid lines being watered down, slowly degrading the breed as a whole. The cutesy pet owner bs on facebook makes me gag.
            Right on!

Look what happened to labs

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              Right on!

Look what happened to labs
              This happened to the GSD first and to a much larger degree. Americans, the AKC and backyard breeding destroys breeds.

Comment

Get a wolf.
                Then you can get the tshirts, window decals and tailgate murals.
                pull serious tail with those..
                they might eat the kids...so you will have to weigh the pros and cons...daycare prices arent comin down though...just sayin...

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  This happened to the GSD first and to a much larger degree. Americans, the AKC and backyard breeding destroys breeds.

I would argue it's not the registry bad judging at dog shows, where judges tend to pick dogs with flashy exaggerated features vs. what is correct and functional...but that's way besides the point.

Comment

But we aren't talking about lacys
                    Not really a fan of lacys anymore. Going thru what is happening to the mal right now. Popularity kills working breeds.
                    Look at the Irish setter

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      I would argue it's not the registry bad judging at dog shows, where judges tend to pick dogs with flashy exaggerated features vs. what is correct and functional...but that's way besides the point.
                      Yeah. The AKC stresses breeding for a specific look. In Germany even the show lines have to work and be titled in IPO.

Comment

My first K9 partner was a single purpose female Mal. and was an awesome partner. After she retired my Dept. got me a dual purpose male (detection, patrol) and he was a beast. If you dont have the time, energy, devotion for a Mal. don't even think about getting one. They have a very high prey drive that'll drive you nuts if you don't have the training. Both of mine came from Global K9 at the tune of 9k for my first partner and 15k for the second.

Both are sorely missed. ;(

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                          My first K9 partner was a single purpose female Mal. and was an awesome partner. After she retired my Dept. got me a dual purpose male (detection, patrol) and he was a beast. If you dont have the time, energy, devotion for a Mal. don't even think about getting one. They have a very high prey drive that'll drive you nuts if you don't have the training. Both of mine came from Global K9 at the tune of 9k for my first partner and 15k for the second.

Both are sorely missed. ;(
                          Beautiful dogs. I think y’all talked me out of the Mal and more into the GSD

Comment

I love my GSD. He is one generation out of Germany and is almost solid black. Be careful and find a good breeder with the right bloodlines. As said before, the breeding has been watered down a lot in some cases.

Comment

I will chime in and Echo what others have said but I will just come out and say if your looking for a pet, please don't get one.

I have had my female close to 4 years and everything we are telling you is spot on, beyond imaginable prey drive and energy, will make short work of any kennel you devise, takes a huge amount of personal time to train you, as well as the animal. I did breed her once and almost every pup went to depts. and corporate teams. 2 of those pups reside locally in DFW and get a massive amount of attention daily. Please take special note without a lot of work and a strong leader they are highly destructive and dangerous and that can lead down a very bad road for everyone involved.

Comment

I don't have a Belgian Malinois but my sons best friend has 2 if you ever want to come up to DFW on a Sat or Sun and see them in action(Training with the bite suit on at his estate) just let me know..They were at my house on Sat but I did NOT let my dogs interact with these animals..These dogs have had extensive training and it cost a fortune for the training that they have put them thru.
                                (Kids dad is a Multi-Millionaire) these dogs are used for protection mainly, the
                                female(3 yrs old)they wanted to gift to my son (I did not agree).
                                The male is 5 and was taught not to bark or show aggression until the actual attack (That's the quality they didn't like about the female and the reason for them trying to gift them to my son Ty) ..If I wanted a dog to protect me these would be Great,but for a normal dog that might have interaction with other animals and at times left alone without me around I would not have one.(I am sure some of them aren't as On/Off as these two and might be great pets but I was never comfortable around them )

Comment

Working...
                                X