X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyote proof fence to protect fawns?

Is there such a thing?

Very interesting article and idea:
    In order to determine whether more fawns could be produced by keeping coyotes away, a large fence was erected at a research facility in Georgia. This 10-year study involved the construction of a fence around a 98-acre area that provided good fawning habitat for whitetails. The fence was four feet tall and buried deep within the ground, preventing coyotes from going over or under it. GPS collars on subject deer showed that does quickly learned to go into this coyote exclusion area to avoid predation and have their fawns.

This study showed two predictable results over 10 years. First, the number of fawns that made it to reproductive age significantly increased. Second, hunting success also increased in and near the exclusion area.
    link to article: https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2...unting-part-1/

Another article and different method of laying fence to prevent coyotes from entering/exiting a property:
    “Coyotes are omnivores, which means they will eat almost anything. One research project in Texas showed that predators, primarily coyotes were responsible for 60 percent of all fawn deaths in one year.”

Without question, deer losses such as this represent a significant financial setback and huge damage in a wildlife management program.

There are several ways to control these predators.

The use of predator wire can help greatly in this matter. Quality ranch fence materials will come in a 26-inch-wide net wire that can be laid on the ground and attached to the bottom of the 8-foot fence with hog-proof fence rings.

Turf staples can be used to secure the wire to the ground if the soil is not rocky. This is 99% effective to keep coyotes from digging under the fence. It also keeps the coyotes inside the high fence from getting out. Usually an intense coyote hunting needs to take place by someone that is qualified after the wire is installed.
    link to article: http://tejasranchfence.com/protect-d...ion-predators/

Originally posted by barnag View Post
    GPS collars on subject deer showed that does quickly learned to go into this coyote exclusion area to avoid predation and have their fawns.

If you build it, they will come

Comment

Lots of sheep ranches bury a fence "skirt" around perimeter fences. It works well.

Comment

I haven't seen any fawns on my place for the past few years. I do have to many coyotes saw a pack of 4 the other day on the way to my stand. I know they are killing fawns. Studies show coyotes have between 5 -7 pups in February and in May when the fawns are born they are hunting for food for their young. Coyotes killed in may-June have been found to contain 38% fawns in their stomachs. Got a gc300 predator call for Christmas so yoties are fixing to get hammered.

Comment

If I ever build another high fence I will have the perimeter trenced 2' deep. From there I will build the 8' fence at the normal ground level then come back in with 4' of net wire, 2' above and 2' below ground. You will never keep 100% of them out but this would keep a lot out.

Comment

What I meant to say was that my neighbor builds game fences and lays 5 ft hog wire flat and builds the fence on it and then covers it with dirt so coyotes can't dig under it.

Comment

A friend of mine's property was formerly owned by a guy who raised meat goats. There are two pens of about an acre each that he fenced to keep coyotes out - it is pretty overgrown now with brush and tall grass. It is remarkable how many does hop that fence to drop their fawns. In early summer we always see fawns running around in there before they grow big enough to jump out.

Comment

They can crawl up a couple fett and thru a 6" spacing on 8' netwire fences.

Comment

I don't think a 4ft fence would keep any predator out, especially a coyote! They can jump over that!

Comment

A coyotes not above learning to climb a fence, I've seen pics of them going over a 8' deer fence, might want to add a few hot wires to the outside of this new fence also.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      I haven't seen any fawns on my place for the past few years. I do have to many coyotes saw a pack of 4 the other day on the way to my stand. I know they are killing fawns. Studies show coyotes have between 5 -7 pups in February and in May when the fawns are born they are hunting for food for their young. Coyotes killed in may-June have been found to contain 38% fawns in their stomachs. Got a gc300 predator call for Christmas so yoties are fixing to get hammered.

I’m in the same situation as you.
                      I’ve seen ZERO fawns the past three years. Terrible coyote problem. And I’m willing to try anything to help the deer out. This fence sounds like something I will seriously consider.

Comment

I know some of y'all live away from where you hunt deer, but if you're close enough you can put a whoopin on those yotes with a dozen traps. Coyotes are not too hard to catch, especially in the winter when times get tough for them. As soon as muzzleloader season is over, or I put another deer in the freezer, I'm about to get after them myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          I know some of y'all live away from where you hunt deer, but if you're close enough you can put a whoopin on those yotes with a dozen traps. Coyotes are not too hard to catch, especially in the winter when times get tough for them. As soon as muzzleloader season is over, or I put another deer in the freezer, I'm about to get after them myself.

I got about a dozen MB-550’s and am trying! First year trapper here, haven’t got a yote yet, but did manage to get a nice sized bobcat.
                          Again, doing everything in my power to help fawn recruitment!

Comment

good luck keeping pigs or coyotes in or out!

Comment

IF you find where they dig under the fence put a SNARE at the spot it works

Comment

Working...
                              X