No announcement yet.

Camp Bullis 2017????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are pigs everywhere. The rules allow you to hand bait with corn, that's what I'd do. I'd pick a good spot and keeping feeding there. Not sure if soured corn is legal, but that's even better. Hopefully the pigs will come out for you during shooting hours.

Comment

How is lil cobra doing in getting a buck down. I took my daughter on a Texas Youth Hunt in Fredericksburg this weekend and she harvested two nice sized does.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by riley05 View Post
        How is lil cobra doing in getting a buck down. I took my daughter on a Texas Youth Hunt in Fredericksburg this weekend and she harvested two nice sized does.

Waydago little lady

Comment

Congrats to your daughter!
          Now that's a real hunter there, with a lot to smile about!

Comment

Yes sir, she made a 161 yard shot on the second doe. It was a great weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by L C View Post
              There are pigs everywhere. The rules allow you to hand bait with corn, that's what I'd do. I'd pick a good spot and keeping feeding there. Not sure if soured corn is legal, but that's even better. Hopefully the pigs will come out for you during shooting hours.
              Any recommendations on what areas are a good place to start?

Comment

Originally posted by WWRPTR View Post
                Any recommendations on what areas are a good place to start?
                I don't know much about the areas that hold hogs today since the last time I hunted on Bullis other than this year was back in 2005 and hog sightings were rare, so I don't know how much I can help, but I've hunted hogs elsewhere.
                First place I would concentrate on would be a water supply, since hogs need water. They like cover and prefer soft fertile soil where they can root around.
                I would go out on the scouting days and search out likely areas looking for sign.
                Hogs move around a lot especially on Bullis with all the training going on.
                Cibolo Creek area on the north end, and around the edges of the dove fields would be where I would start.

Comment

I agree. Stay near the creeks and look for the heavily used trails. They typically bed in the denser juniper areas where you can't walk easily, and they can remain silent as you pass within yards of them, particularly the older ones. Mind the wind. Their sense of smell is incredible. If sitting and waiting is too boring for you, I'd take some buddies and try and flush them for a shot. You might find some in the semiopen creek areas or in heavily shaded canopy. Put a shooter on the downwind side of your target area. Let us know how you do.

Comment

Also, they like to circle around you once they smell you to understand where you are and then return to their bedding/safe area.

Comment

Had 4 eight pointers come in this morning but nothing I wanted to shoot since I have a couple of 10 pointers on my game camera. Ended up shooting a gobbler about 9:15 AM. Will get back after them this afternoon. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by born-two-hunt View Post
                        Had 4 eight pointers come in this morning but nothing I wanted to shoot since I have a couple of 10 pointers on my game camera. Ended up shooting a gobbler about 9:15 AM. Will get back after them this afternoon. Tom
                        Nice... Congrats

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Tom, are seeing any does besides the one you shot?

Comment

I have not seen any other does besides the one I shot. Saw 4 bucks tonight and one was one of the ten pointers I have been waiting for. He is now missing a brow tine and never came closer than 50 yards. He just watched the feeder for about 50 minutes. Had a line of pigs coming in at 5:30 but came in behind my blind and all I heard was a growl and off they went. Back at it in the AM, Tom

Comment

I only hunted Saturday morning but the deer came in before it was light enough to see, and hung around for about an hour after daylight. Saw a total of 7 does and a big Axis buck on the way in around 11:30.
                              Also saw a lot of hog sign at my feeder for the first time this season, but none showed.
                              If I saw deer, I'm sure others did as well.

Comment

I've pretty much given up hope of catching a doe. Very few on camera all year long. You have to question if the survey is accurate. Quota for does this year is 150, we've only taken 25 thru 9 December.

Comment

Working...
                                X