What is the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the

What is the craziest, wildest, scariest or just straight unexplainable thing you seen or heard while hunting or fishing?

Mountain lion scream when getting out of the blind at dark with a 400 yard walk to the mule... Wasn't enjoyable.

Once dozed off in the popup and woke up with a blue indigo draped across my feet.

Nothing to crazy outside of that.

Comment

Lots of cool/interesting stories in the "Strange Finds" thread

I've come across illegals a couple times but never really experienced anything too crazy or "unexplainable." In ..

Comment

Being stuck out in the marsh when a huge thunderstorm flared up. Kinda spooky being hunkered down in the grass with no real cover while lightning strikes near you. The cool part was watching all the ducks jump up and look like mosquitoes in the air every time a big bolt hit.

Comment

Mountain Lion scream is at the top of the list. 14 yrs old and 1/2 mile from the house.

Mountain Lion encounter bowhunting in Coleman was a little scary. That experience is tied with running into a 250+# Boar chomping his jaws and not letting me by. Too dark to see bow sight to shoot him and wasn't carrying my pistol.

Comment

I was with Jhill313 once.......

Comment

Grizzly bear, eye-ball to eye-ball at 20 yds in a blueberry patch when I was only armed with my longbow.

Comment

Not scary but it was kind of nuts.
                Sitting in a box blind in a buddy's ranch in Real County off of 337 North of Leakey. Feeder goes off and I hear noise in the brush to my right. Shortly after that 4 ewe's walk out and head to the feeder, shortly after them a ram came out following his "harem". I leaned forward to get a good look at him and to take a pic of him. When I learned forward, the chair I was sitting in creaked/squeaked loud enough for him to hear. He spins around and looks straight into my eyes and I think "cool, I can get a good pic"
                But it wasnt goin down like that, he charges the stand and starts head butting and ramming the stand over and over and over and over. He just kept at it and I thought...."**** !!!, he is fixing to be in this stand with me and that wont end well for either of us...especially me"
                I picked up my 257 wby and waited for him to back off and get another run at it....he did....he done

This is the culprit
                Last edited by K. Lane; 03-28-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Was fishing down the tank dam in weeds/brush about knee to mid-thigh high and saw what I thought was a body floating in the tank at the bank. I carefully walked over to investigate and found a long brown wig--no body. I knew the local university fraternities and sororities had keg parties and pledge initiations here so I figured it was from one of those events.

Comment

Listened to a meth head burn to death. Pretty weird.

Comment

This is a story told to me in a teachers' lounge back when I taught in Mission. A guy swore his uncle told him this account and it happened exactly as told. The uncle was hunting on a ranch in Starr County where he was sitting watching a stock tank. A rattlesnake came up to the tank for a drink of water. As everyone knows, rattlesnakes can't drink water with their venom glands intact, so the rattlesnake removes his, hides them under a bush, and proceeds to crawl down to the tank for a drink. As the snake was drinking water the uncle sneaks up to the bush, takes the venom glands and throws them off into the brush. The snake returns to the bush and begins looking for his venom glands. When he couldn't find them he proceeded to slam his head against the rocks until he died, since he would be helpless without venom. As another friend and I stood there hearing this story, we both waited for the punch line, or for the guy to start laughing. Neither happened. The teller of this story believed it.

Comment

Jumped clean over the boat, tied it off to the outboard.

Comment

Had a bullet wiz through the tree I was hunting in. It came from a boat hunter on Possum Kingdom.

Comment

A mountain lion scream behind me at sunrise when I was hunting Giles Island when I was 15. When I got out of the stand around 9:30, I saw his tracks not 10 yards behind my lean-to.

Saw the northern lights while I was duck hunting Cooper Lake about 10 years ago. Crazy to be able to see them this far south. That by far was the coolest thing I have ever seen!

Comment

Two mountain lions screaming, and then fighting! It was very loud and they were right by me.

Comment

Working...
                              X