Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	24317890

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406161046097.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	24317891

Comment

Nice do you test them in your bath tub tied to a string. That hook needs to be able to adhere to the water.

Comment

Not the tub... but since I had the sideways floating hopper, I do test them in a bowl of water. I plop them in there and watch how they react. Might try the tub now that you suggested it.

Comment

Try to mimic the action by pulling it behind some fishing line. Learn how to stack deer hair

Comment

Got skunked fly fishing out at the Y tonight trying out a different spot. However my wife got a pretty cool looking urban fishing photo that I figured I'd make my avatar for a while...

Comment

Well, my 9 year old son earned his first fly rod today by finishing his 8th book report in 2 weeks. He really wanted to fly fish and so he earned it. We packed up his new gear and went to a neighborhood pond nearby. On his second cast he caught a sunfish on a bluegill spider he tied himself. He caught one other bluegill and a small bass as well. He had several strikes as well before he would get a bit tired and want a break. I am a proud pappa for sure.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406342543695.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	24318205

I made out well too. I am now in that category of not knowing how many fish I have caught I caught at least a dozen or so fish tonight. About 6 to 8 sunfish... some quite large and 6 to 8 bass. The red gurgler I tied was a killer!

Comment

As a side note, because he was so eager, I had to pull the trigger and I ordered him a Cabelas Cahill combo in 5 wt. It was on sale for 40 bucks. I bought a 6wt from a TBHer that is better quality. While the cahill rod is good, the reel is definately not going to hold up. He will benefit from the reel swap out from the combo that Dylan and Rob are expressing/holding for us. And we will have a backup just in case.

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Congrats to you both

Comment

went back again tonight and he tore it up. At little over half a dozen fish. He is also steadily getting better at casting too. I tied a mini hopper this morning that really helped him out with the sunfish. I will post a pic of it later.

I bet I know what he will write about for "what did you do this summer"

Comment

Love that new avatar! Cool pic and cool to see the youngster fly fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by Seacoal View Post
                          Anyone in the Fort Worth area ever do or want to do some trad fishing? I'd love to find a partner and get about it
                          Give me a shout sometime, my fly rod feels abandoned

Comment

I am fortunate that my kiddos like to fish. So even when my wife is away, I can take them to a pond for some evening fun. Here is a pic of my little girl using a bream pole and bobber with worm.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406771697735.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	24318931

That was the other night. She tore it up with the worm and I got to explain live bait vs flies with my son who was envious. I wasn't fishing since I was on dehooking duty for two.

Well tonight we hit jackpot. He wasn't getting much action and I used a bream pole to test some nymphs under a bobber. I pulled out a caddis fly I had tied and oh good Lord did the fish go nuts. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406772082454.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	24318932

You almost literally could toss it out and pull in a fish every time. Luckily I had two. Between my son and I, we probably caught 3 dozen good sized sunfish in under an hour.

Comment

Cool stuff!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Working...
                                X