No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering if we can park at the main unit gate and atv in. Kind of hate the idea of parking my truck in the middle of a unit and spooking off deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
      I'm wondering if we can park at the main unit gate and atv in. Kind of hate the idea of parking my truck in the middle of a unit and spooking off deer.
      I was thinking the same. I may call and ask that. In my unit, it's assigned blind. Where the parking cone is would literally be visible from the blind(not accounting for any elevation). I'd honestly rather park closer to the gate. From the parking cone to the blind is roughly 500yds. The gate is only maybe a couple hundred more yards.

Comment

This might be a dumb question but I have only hunted turkey once... Do they envision you shooting a turkey with a deer rifle or are you supposed to bring a shotgun as well? I used a shotgun with turkey shot the one time I did and I hunt with a 300WM which I can't imagine shooting a bird with.

Comment

I'll attempt a turkey headshot with a rifle if the opportunity is there within 200y or so.
          Last edited by bdubb; 10-22-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fakeworest View Post
            This might be a dumb question but I have only hunted turkey once... Do they envision you shooting a turkey with a deer rifle or are you supposed to bring a shotgun as well? I used a shotgun with turkey shot the one time I did and I hunt with a 300WM which I can't imagine shooting a bird with.
            Son we are hunting Hill country deer...300 might be a little excessive. LOL

Comment

I'm surrounded by houses. Can't have em running off either

from the biologist regarding exotics:

"There is a very small population. I have seen exotics on neighboring properties, but have not seen any on the Refuge. I have gotten a few pictures of Aoudads from game cameras. Realistically you won't see one, but if you do we encourage you to harvest it."

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                12/4-12/6 here.
                same here. unit 1-14 (formerly unit 14) took me 4 pref. points to get drawn. They've assigned me a blind so I don't think the scouting day on the 3rd is going to do me any good.

Have you reviewed all the orientation information yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                  I saw that too but haven't seen any mention at all of anyone seeing exotics on any of the many threads I have read. Not once. So my guess is, highly unlikely.
                  I emailed them about this. The website and the regulations hand out makes no mention of exotics and then the orientation video says exotics are allowed.

This is the first year they are allowing the harvest of exotics however they say they don't have many.

If they advertise that exotics are allowed to be taken in the hunt catalog next year, I imagine the amount of applicants will go through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
                    I'll be in 1-14 on RM243. Also says I must hunt from a provided blind. Looking at the compartment on Google Maps.....not real excited about it but I'll make the best of it!
                    I'm in that unit the first weekend of December, its going to be interesting have to hunt from that blind only..

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by smackey8892 View Post
                      I'm in that unit the first weekend of December, its going to be interesting have to hunt from that blind only..

Good luck!
                      I'll let you know how it goes!

Comment

I got lucky and was invited to hunt a couple days at a buddy's lease over in Mason county about 1.5 hours from Balcones. I'll be headed over to his lease on the 9th, hunt the 10th and 11th then head out to Balcones the afternoon of the 12th or early the 13th. Going to be a great week in the hill country!

Comment

Balcones Hunt 11-20-2020

This is my first time hunting out here. I got selected for compartment 1-9.
                          I actually enter this compartment from the highway, 1431. Has anyone hunted this spot? There are no blinds, so I can hunt anywhere inside the compartment. My hunt starts the Friday of 11/20 and goes til that Sunday.

Comment

Unit 9

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                            I hunted there last year. Unit 9. If anyone would like some insight on that unit let me know.
                            I drew unit 1-9. Would that be the same as 9? I've never hunted Balcones and would appreciate any tips. My hunt it Nov 20-22. I'm staying at a RV park down the road and will get there on the 19th. I can scout, but do you recommend it? I don't want to spook everything. I'm also brining my utv, is it needed?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by WesHallum View Post
                              This is my first time hunting out here. I got selected for compartment 1-9.
                              I actually enter this compartment from the highway, 1431. Has anyone hunted this spot? There are no blinds, so I can hunt anywhere inside the compartment. My hunt starts the Friday of 11/20 and goes til that Sunday.

Hunted there last year. Cool little spot. Saw 4 deer. (2 bucks). Lots of pigs and heard turkeys coming out of the roost. But never saw them.

Comment

Originally posted by WesHallum View Post
                                I drew unit 1-9. Would that be the same as 9? I've never hunted Balcones and would appreciate any tips. My hunt it Nov 20-22. I'm staying at a RV park down the road and will get there on the 19th. I can scout, but do you recommend it? I don't want to spook everything. I'm also brining my utv, is it needed?

Thanks!

My wife and I parked at the gate and walked in. You don’t need an ATV. The deer and pigs came from the top hill in the middle of the unit. I would recommend not going up there. It’s really think and they were bedding up there. I can send you some screenshots of where we saw them and where we hunted.

Comment

Working...
                                X