Protein Pellet Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
    Lab results should be the official number for comparison, not numbers over the phone [emoji6]
    I'll see what I can come up with

Not that it matters nobody is claiming theirs to be higher than y'alls feed
    Last edited by bphillips; 05-03-2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

All the numbers I've posted are from the most reputable sources I've been able to obtain. If anyone wants to send in the feeds and show the lab results, I'd be more than happy to update the list. This post can be a good running tab of what's out there and the most recent and accurate information.

I'm just a small time hunter who feeds a ton of protein every 70 days in the desert. I like many, just want to get the best bang for my buck. I don't represent or promote any company or product related to this thread.... I feel it a very interesting and important topic...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
      Last edited by TXBRASS; 05-03-2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I like this thread it's made me look into things I never considered before in deer feed. If I can't find an analysis on my feed I'll see about sending for one myself if I figure out how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          I like this thread it's made me look into things I never considered before in deer feed. If I can't find an analysis on my feed I'll see about sending for one myself if I figure out how to do that.

I'm glad you are thinking about things in a bit of a different light. As a feed manufacturer all is ask is that we compare apples to apples. I'm not saying other feeds are inferior bit I think we make a heck of a line of deer feeds.

Comment

I'll see what I can come up with

Not that it matters nobody is claiming theirs to be higher than y'alls feed

I'm only an independent consumer who is paying a premium to the local feed store to feed what I believe is the best feed on the market. After 25 years of managing and feeding, I felt the deer had hit a plateau and I needed a change. DD had just come out and offered a better product than the Record Rack I'd been feeding for the last 10 years.

I asked the Record Rack regional sales rep in 2012 if they changed their ingredients depending on market price. His answer was that RR would always test out to the label, but in order for them to make a profit, "of course they would adjust ingredients depending on price and availability". Digestibility varies from ingredient to ingredient in pellets. Varying these ingredients dependant on commodity price to maximise profit doesn't equate to a consistent quality feed. My understanding is that DF&G doesn't adjust the recipe of DD for profit. Every bag is consistent and has a higher TDN than any other feed available. I'm sold on the idea.

Comment

Give Jason or I a call or email and we can set you up with the guys we use. Pretty simple process and the results usually take a few days.

Comment

Thanks to everyone involved with this thread. Really educational & helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by DF&G View Post
                  I'm glad you are thinking about things in a bit of a different light. As a feed manufacturer all is ask is that we compare apples to apples. I'm not saying other feeds are inferior bit I think we make a heck of a line of deer feeds.
                  I agree all numbers show that even those given to me locally.
                  I'm only an independent consumer who is paying a premium to the local feed store to feed what I believe is the best feed on the market. After 25 years of managing and feeding, I felt the deer had hit a plateau and I needed a change. DD had just come out and offered a better product than the Record Rack I'd been feeding for the last 10 years.

I asked the Record Rack regional sales rep in 2012 if they changed their ingredients depending on market price. His answer was that RR would always test out to the label, but in order for them to make a profit, "of course they would adjust ingredients depending on price and availability". Digestibility varies from ingredient to ingredient in pellets. Varying these ingredients dependant on commodity price to maximise profit doesn't equate to a consistent quality feed. My understanding is that DF&G doesn't adjust the recipe of DD for profit. Every bag is consistent and has a higher TDN than any other feed available. I'm sold on the idea.
                  I would agree with that from the numbers and consumption rates reported. I didn't know that about record rack but here it's doesn't change either and the price will flucuate along with ingredients but that's better than inconsistency IMO. It took DF&G almost no time to send me requested info also
                  Originally posted by SouthTexas14 View Post
                  Give Jason or I a call or email and we can set you up with the guys we use. Pretty simple process and the results usually take a few days.
                  Thanks I've got the name since he sent me an analysis already. Y'all have been more than helpful. I don't expect to be better just like to see where it stacks up

Comment

I agree all numbers show that even those given to me locally.

I would agree with that from the numbers and consumption rates reported. I didn't know that about record rack but here it's doesn't change either and the price will flucuate along with ingredients but that's better than inconsistency IMO. It took DF&G almost no time to send me requested info

Ask the Cargill/Record Rack salesman if they adjust ingredients to hedge market prices. [emoji851]

Comment

Ask the Cargill/Record Rack salesman if they adjust ingredients to hedge market prices. [emoji851]
                      Haha I wonder what went through his head when put on the spot like that

Comment

Corporate feed mills (Cargill, Purina, etc...) have to create a profit for their shareholders.

Comment

Corporate feed mills (Cargill, Purina, etc...) have to create a profit for their shareholders.
                          Definitely. It never crossed my mind switching things though I guess I never noticed their feeds don't just fluctuate in price like the small guys. Glad I know now

Comment

Protein Pellet Ingredients

As a small guy we just want to produce a good product for our customers. Most of which we are on a first name basis with. Don't get me wrong here we are all in this to turn a profit but i know that we offer top notch customer service coupled with premium feeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I considered DD until one of the Holden guys called me a ****** on Facebook.

I may have made a comment about their methods of advertising.

When (if ever) will y'all be pushing this stuff further north? I think Austin is my closest dealer to Coleman.

Comment

Georgetown is closest at the moment. Always looking to add new dealers so if you have a good relationship with your local guy please email or pm me details and I'll see what I can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X