Crosby Residents EXTREME ALERT - Arkema Chemical Plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
    Seems from this tweet that it's not an explosion concern but a fire hazard which would pollute the surrounding areas with ammonia...
    the way people have been telling me, it's like a bomb is about to go off vaporizing a 1.5 mile radius!

Pretty crazy how things get lost in translation. Either way, I wouldn't want to be around that plant.
    Fire is most likely, although an explosion is possible. Hard to say without knowing exactly what's going on in there.

Comment

I live 6 miles from the plant

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
        No power to run the refrigeration units. I believe anhydrous ammonia may be present. If the system is designed for cooled liquid and the refrigerators are out of service the ammonia will vaporize and build pressure until the equipment fails. Massive vapor cloud explosion followed by a deadly ammonia cloud.
        If you wanna see what kind of stuff Anhydrous Ammonia is youtube "anhydrous ammonia accident"... no bueno.

Comment

Fox news is reporting it blew up bout 2am this morning

Comment

Comment

This may be semantics, but the story I read repeatedly says there was no explosion. The containers popped and caught fire. They'll burn out. This isn't West, Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                This may be semantics, but the story I read repeatedly says there was no explosion. The containers popped and caught fire. They'll burn out. This isn't West, Texas.
                Either way 10 deputies went to the hospital and some that went to visit also got sick.

Ad of 0600 we weren't allowed to visit

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Either way 10 deputies went to the hospital and some that went to visit also got sick.
                  "'It wasn't an explosion. I want to be very clear. It was not an explosion," Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said of the incident, which he said was a result of containers "basically popping.'

The sheriff's department says that 15 of its deputies went to the hospital after getting close to the Arkema plant, and that all of them have since been released. The agency has said the deputies inhaled a "non-toxic irritant." Gonzalez compared the fumes his deputies encountered to "standing over a barbecue pit or something like that."

Because of floodwaters from Hurricane Harvey, the plant lost power — and the ability to keep containers of flammable organic peroxides from bursting and burning, according to Harris County officials.

Comment

Bonjour

Comment

"'It wasn't an explosion. I want to be very clear. It was not an explosion," Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said of the incident, which he said was a result of containers "basically popping.'

The sheriff's department says that 15 of its deputies went to the hospital after getting close to the Arkema plant, and that all of them have since been released. The agency has said the deputies inhaled a "non-toxic irritant." Gonzalez compared the fumes his deputies encountered to "standing over a barbecue pit or something like that."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...n-crosby-texas
                      Saw that on the news ticker. I tend to check the GS before turning on the TV..Thanks for the update.
                      Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      Bonjour
                      [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...n-crosby-texas

They could have at least given him a quick run down to make it appear he knew what he was talking about. "Basically popping". There is no "basically popping". Most likely a pressure relief device on the containers they're stored in that popped.

Comment

Working...
                        X