Weekend of firsts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend of firsts

Took my son (Brody) and one of his baseball buddies, a really good kid and ball player named Carson, to the land this weekend. Both boys were looking for their first bow kill. Carson was going to borrow Brody’s cross bow as he has never shot a bow of any kind. Brody was out for his first bow kill with his compound. Brody and his mom sat in a pop up blind Saturday morning while Carson and I climbed up a two man ladder stand. The first hunt Carson and I saw 5 does and a huge boar hog. The hog did not give us a shot and the does were all too small. I took this opportunity to talk to Carson about what deer we shoot and why. We got down about lunch and walked over to Brody and my wife to find them out of the blind looking for a doe. My wife said she came in and Brody took a shot at 18 yards. She had a grainy cell phone video and it was very hard to tell where he hit her but he definitely hit her. The bad thing was the deer was looking right at him when he shot and he is only pulling 43lbs. Well we looked, and looked, and looked only finding a few specs of blood. After about 2 hours we gave her up for lost and went to get some lunch. Over lunch Brody said he was certain that he did not make a bad shot. He and I have been practicing a lot and his bow was broad head tuned to where he could shoot dots with his slicktricks.

That afternoon we were going back to the same stands. As Carson and I were walking in there was a deer under our feeder. I grabbed the binos and it was Brody’s doe with the arrow in her way high and back. She walked off and I texted my wife and told her the deer must of saw the arrow and jumped causing the bad shot and to make sure Brody doesn’t shoot if they are looking.

Well a few minutes later a big old doe comes in and Brody does everything right but she ducked the string. Brody was devastated. Carson and I saw a small 6 point and a couple of little does but mostly it was slow.

Just before dark my wife text and said that the doe that Brody shot that morning was back. I told her to tell him to focus, and remember his practice. This time he released the arrow and she was not looking. But the arrow hit right by the first one but this time breaking her back. My wife texted me and Carson and I hurried over to them and I finished her off.

The next morning Brody and my wife slept in so Carson and I hit the pop up because it was raining. At 7:40 a big solo doe comes in and he makes a perfect shot.

A lot of firsts and lessons this weekend.

1-Each boy got their first bow kill.
    2-Brody got a lesson in “it doesn’t always happen like you want it to”.
    3-I learned to listen to my son when he tells me he did everything right but his bow is off.
    4-Carson learned a lot about management and waiting for the right deer.

All in all it was a great weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by lodgepole; 10-13-2019, 07:51 PM.

What a great experience and memories.

That's greatness.

Congrats to the boys!

Comment

Congratulations to the young men on their kills and to you and your wife for taking the time to be there and teach them! Outstanding.

Comment

Awesome! Good stuff right there!!

Comment

Sounds like an Awesome weekend, Congratulations to the boys

Comment

Congrats for sharing the outdoors and having the patience to teach young men!
            Congrats to both!

Comment

Heck yea! Congrats!!!! Awesome stuff man!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats to all these young hunters and the memories made. They will always remember their firsts.
                Brings back great memories of when mine were young.

Comment

Cool story

Comment

All part of learning to hunt. Congrats to the young man.

Comment

That was awesome. Congratulations to both

Comment

Y’all had an awesome weekend & I’m sure both of those boys will never forget the lessons learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

thats a really cool story

Comment

Awesome! Thank you for taking that kid hunting and teaching him the outdoors. Wel done dad!

Comment

Awesome congratulations

Comment

Working...
                              X