Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa 2018

So I just called and confirmed that all of the hunter orientations will take place at 3:00pm. On the hunt brochure it says 9:00am but that has been changed for all hunts to 3:00pm.

BOW HUNTS ONLY!!
    Be sure to go to the Los Fresnos Community Center location for orientation, NOT the actual wildlife refuge. Orientation address: 204 N Brazil st Los Fresnos, TX 78566.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone going out and looking around morning of orientation?

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnSmithTX View Post
        So I just called and confirmed that all of the hunter orientations will take place at 3:00pm. On the hunt brochure it says 9:00am but that has been changed for all hunts to 3:00pm.

BOW HUNTS ONLY!!
        Be sure to go to the Los Fresnos Community Center location for orientation, NOT the actual wildlife refuge. Orientation address: 204 N Brazil st Los Fresnos, TX 78566.

Thanks for confirming this for everybody

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
          No reason not to. They used language that implied they'd PREFER not getting out into the refuge until orientation. I took that as a you may at your own risk.

In the past we were allowed to scout for three days about a week prior to the hunt. The rules have changed. There is no way you can scout this place in one day. Even for me, I have hunted this place for about 18 years and I will find different patterns and areas that are good and had not seen before. You can go as a visitor but I believe area 3 is off limits if you are not scouting. I could be wrong but that is how I interpreted the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
            In the past we were allowed to scout for three days about a week prior to the hunt. The rules have changed. There is no way you can scout this place in one day. Even for me, I have hunted this place for about 18 years and I will find different patterns and areas that are good and had not seen before. You can go as a visitor but I believe area 3 is off limits if you are not scouting. I could be wrong but that is how I interpreted the rule.

Yeah I can see how a day or part of wouldn't cover much of that area. If I still lived in the area I would make more trips, but it's 8 hours for me so one day it is. Huntindad has been out there already well before his hunt. Just saying even with the rules looks like there's a way to get out there before the hunt. Just don't screw anything up out there, like a take a plant out to replant at home. Or chop down trees with thorns or poky things. About covers it I imagine.

Comment

and drive slow on the road going in. it is one of the worst roads i have ever driven down. Will really blow up your shocks and front end.

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
                Yeah I can see how a day or part of wouldn't cover much of that area. If I still lived in the area I would make more trips, but it's 8 hours for me so one day it is. Huntindad has been out there already well before his hunt. Just saying even with the rules looks like there's a way to get out there before the hunt. Just don't screw anything up out there, like a take a plant out to replant at home. Or chop down trees with thorns or poky things. About covers it I imagine.

yeah, I been out there...even before my hunt..oh my !!! I went to the visitor center and got a day pass like every one else and was a sightseer.

Didn't see a whole lot, but it gave me an idea of high the grasses was.

and if the road is still torn up going into the visitor center...drive slow and be careful.

Comment

Do hunters need a entrance pass each day in like visitors do? Another year I can get my lifetime national parks pass for $80. I see there is a $10 annual pass for LA and Santa Anna NWR.

Comment

no pass needed for hunters. your permit is your pass

Comment

Originally posted by rsquared View Post
                      and drive slow on the road going in. it is one of the worst roads i have ever driven down. Will really blow up your shocks and front end.
                      Its more like a paved trail if nothing has been fixed since I was there in 2015.

Potholes big enough to fit your whole front end.

But still a small price to pay for a chance at a Nilgai.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                        Its more like a paved trail if nothing has been fixed since I was there in 2015.

Potholes big enough to fit your whole front end.

But still a small price to pay for a chance at a Nilgai.
                        You need to drive slow as heck anyway... running over an ocelot at 4AM is a good way to ruin your own trip real quick.

Comment

I drew the 1/18 rifle hunt, I'll try not to run over any ocelots. Any one else headed to this hunt?

Comment

Getting packed up. Hope everyone has safe trip there. Good Luck everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                              Getting packed up. Hope everyone has safe trip there. Good Luck everyone.

Man I have to wait another few weeks. I'm excited for you all this weekend! Got you some blue bulls[emoji23]

Comment

Wonder what this cold weather has done to the critters especially the ticks and mosquitoes. Did not quite freeze at LA but did in the western Rio Grande Valley

Comment

Working...
                                X