Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one try Black eye Peas recently?

For deer feed?
    I have a lead on some, cheap. Thought I'd look for reviews on here first.
    Last thread I saw was in 2014

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

If your growing them you better plant a lot. We missed this year planting from all the rain. But a group of 10 deer can smoke a 3 acre pea patch in a couple of nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes. Mine prefer it with salt pork and ham hocks more-so than bacon.

Comment

They will definitely eat them, as will turkey. Would think a legume would be better nutritional content. Cheaper than corn? Clean?

Comment

When I was a kid, my grandfather planted about 40 acres of blackeyes for a market crop a couple of years. Deer got way more of the peas than he did, so yeah, they like them. They love sweet potatoes,too, and will dig them up...

Comment

I'm not planting them. They're spillage from a packaging facility. They likely be mixed with corn and popcorn

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Planted them several years They like hot growed well and fast with some rain ..Deer didnt seem to bother them until they were In later stages of growth Then WAM in a couple days the stripped them to just stalks.And I had a couple acer Patch...Is that the norm ??? what I observed !
              Oh yea I just bought Black eye at HEB thy were cheaper and grew well
              Last edited by cva34; 09-03-2019, 05:53 AM.

Comment

We use to feed a mix of corn and peas. It took the deer a little while to warm up to the peas but when they did they ate them well. We would still be feeding it but the feed store in Harper changed hands a few years ago and they no longer carry them.

-john

Comment

Be careful putting popcorn in your feeders, I found my feeder lids laying on the ground. Popcorn was going off inside the feeder from the heat and was blowing my lids off. I had to wear a motorcycle helmet when I got to the feeders, I was skeered one of them lids might blow off from the popcorn and hit me on my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    Be careful putting popcorn in your feeders, I found my feeder lids laying on the ground. Popcorn was going off inside the feeder from the heat and was blowing my lids off. I had to wear a motorcycle helmet when I got to the feeders, I was skeered one of them lids might blow off from the popcorn and hit me on my head.
                    [emoji848][emoji3]
                    [emoji1303]
                    Maybe it pooping will keep the coons away.
                    I couldn't find it but I have a picture with 12 Coons under it

Comment

I picked up 12 bags of Peas Plus about 6 months ago to try on my Grayson county lease and on my Dad's farm in Rains county. Both places have gravity free choice feeders.

The deer in Grayson county have still not touched them to this day.

In Rains county, they were a tad slow getting used to the peas, but within a couple of weeks they were hammering them.

Comment

I don’t like the nasty things myself, wouldn’t expect the deer to.

Comment

Nope but Fergie is high on my hit list ��

Comment

I have been trying to feed them to my deer in our pens and they wont eat them. They love rice bran.... That is my new go to for them other than the normal protein feed and alfalfa.

Comment

our deer eat them some, our hogs love them. I keep them in the silo until deer season is over then mix them half and half with corn. It is usually game on for the first few weeks as sounders find them. I get blackeyed peas from layout corners for as little as 3.00 per bag at times. Great supplement without the big cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X