No announcement yet.

East Texas Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom's side all lives in east texas from Sulphur Springs to Pittsburg. My Grandpa still lives in Pittsburg, so I've spent a lot of my childhood out there. I grew up in different areas, but most of my time was spent in Llano. East texas is very different. Not in a bad way, but it's different. I Just moved from the same area you live in currently. Get ready for a change if you decide to go. Land is definitely cheaper out there as compared to most other areas in the state.
    Last edited by Arrowthreat; 07-02-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

We moved back to my wife's hometown of Lindale about 10 years ago. I grew up in Bullard. We spent several years away in Houston, San Antonio and Keller. It is definitely good to be back home. As mentioned, Lindale is a great town of around 5K in the city limits, with pretty much anything you need. It's a 15 minute drive to Tyler. Land prices are beginning to get out of hand, but it is a great place to live.

Comment

I left Longview 45 yrs ago due to a total lapse of judgement. Was asked to leave my high school in my senior year. Moved to the coast, where my Dad lived, to finish school. Wound up working for a chemical company in the area and have made it home.
        One other thing that kept me here is the weather. I know some here will laugh but the cold weather and ice storms in NE Tx in the winter was something found I could do without. Here it's just tropical weather/hurricanes.

Comment

Thanks all for the comments and keep 'em coming.

Comment

My dad has owned a farm in Hillister, TX (few miles south of Woodville) for about 20 years. I grew up on that farm every weekend and now I own a 20 acre property next to his property. I love it out there! I just moved out to Sugarland for a job about 2 months ago so its taking a bit to get used to but every time I go back to the farms I just keep talking myself into wanting to come back when my apartment lease is done. East Texas has views just like the hill country heck I love the country period no matter where I'm at. Rayburn and Toledo are just 45mins-1 hour away from me and Dam B Only 30 mins. Look around the Livingston, Woodville, or Warren areas properties aren't to badly priced compared to other areas. Both Beaumont and Lufkin are about an hour away as well. Also Woodville is one of the safest towns in the U.S. the last time I heard from online sources.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
              My dad has owned a farm in Hillister, TX (few miles south of Woodville) for about 20 years. I grew up on that farm every weekend and now I own a 20 acre property next to his property. I love it out there! I just moved out to Sugarland for a job about 2 months ago so its taking a bit to get used to but every time I go back to the farms I just keep talking myself into wanting to come back when my apartment lease is done. East Texas has views just like the hill country heck I love the country period no matter where I'm at. Rayburn and Toledo are just 45mins-1 hour away from me and Dam B Only 30 mins. Look around the Livingston, Woodville, or Warren areas properties aren't to badly priced compared to other areas. Both Beaumont and Lufkin are about an hour away as well. Also Woodville is one of the safest towns in the U.S. the last time I heard from online sources.
              Thanks, we will check it out along with several others mentioned!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                Where in deep Northeast Texas? I grew up in Linden.

Ain’t it a small internet
                Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                I grew up in Hughes springs but live/work in gilmer now. We moved here for the Friday night lights . Nah, we both got decent jobs here and got tired of the 40 minute commute. East Texas isn't bad and it's home but if I had a choice in a perfect world we'd be in the hill country. I don't see east Texas as "scenic". I hate pine trees and iron ore dirt but hey come on over lol
                Cry baby.

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
                I grew up in Omaha, Texas 15 miles east of Mt. Pleasant. After college I never moved back because there just not many good jobs there. Many little towns are different. But my advice is check out each town your considering. I had friends who grew up in Winnsboro and Mt. Vernon, much nicer than the towns around Morris or Cass County where I grew up; but you get more real estate for your money in these places. Mt. Pleasant has everything you need, but the city itself looks pretty trashy now days; but if you fish, so many lakes in close proximity. I went to college at SFA, loved Nacogdoches; but most the towns on the outskirt are not that nice. Also check out Jefferson; if you still like to drink beer and have a good time.

Do I know you?

I love living in a small town. There are down sides. Stuff closes by 10, have to drive a little bit to get to a variety of eating places.

It’s pretty peaceful and reasonable with the cost of living

I live in Hughes Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                  Where in deep Northeast Texas? I grew up in Linden.
                  She is from the striving metropolis of Hooks, Texas. We own 50 acres their but I have been there more than she has in our 25 years of marriage...….lol. Im actually looking at 120 acres some of her distant cousins want to sell...……...never know maybe New Boston will expand!

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                    She is from the striving metropolis of Hooks, Texas. We own 50 acres their but I have been there more than she has in our 25 years of marriage...….lol. Im actually looking at 120 acres some of her distant cousins want to sell...……...never know maybe New Boston will expand!

Those schools were the ones we played against in sports back in the day. There are a lot of common characteristics of people from deep northeast Texas but- each community has some characteristics all their own, some good and some not so good. So many of the communities up there have declined drastically and sadly will never rebound.

Comment

Working...
                    X