Is Sitka hear worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
    I wonder how those of us that hunted Alaska before Kuiu and Sitka managed to survive?
    With heavy uncomfortable clothes

Comment

get a set of waders and boots that will fit properly with them on.....Alaska is one stream after another and you will be wet all day.

light camo will not survive the willows. It will be torn to shreds pretty quickly.

all else fails.....check with the guide.
      Last edited by Tom; 04-07-2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        I wonder how those of us that hunted Alaska before Kuiu and Sitka managed to survive?
        You survived but now you are tainted.

I like the look and feel of all that gear. When I go to Cabelas I still walk by the stuff, touch it, try it on, etc. If I were hunting out of state I may look on Camofire or other websites for some specials.

Comment

I use it and love it. I don't pay retail for an item, ever.

It's not needed but it sure is nice to have. The timberline and mountain pants are hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by bbuck8 View Post
            Yes. It is. Kuiu is good. I own both. The Gore Windstopper is only in Sitka. I talked to Kuiu about this. Their answer was wear rain gear over.
            Windstopper is nothing more the a flattened and stretch goretex membrane, thus why the flash is pretty much rain proof since it’s seemed sealed.

Comment

Walk through the mountains all day in heavy bulky stuff vs Sitka or kuiu or FL and you’ll see the big difference. It’s worth it to me. Even in Texas. I stay comfortable. Everyone wants to think they are the toughest in the woods to handle cold etc. I’m there to enjoy myself. The gear helps me do that a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                From a guy that spends at least 40 days a year in the mountains hunting, it nice but not needed. Any high end clothes will work (unless your worried about being in camo head to toe) Any good stretch hiking pant, 2 base layer merino wool shirts, 2 good socks (that your feet like), 2 sets of boxers (merino wool currently) a puffy, and a rain jack, covers me on all my western bow hunts (CO,WY,NE) Those are backpack hunts normally in the 7-10 days a shot, and thats all I bring. 99% of guys wayyyyy over pack.

With that hunt, I'd me way more worried about the rain gear!
                Original Sitka is pretty much knocked off Mountain hardware

Same here I have mix of kuiu, Sitka, Columbia/prana/Mountain hardware, and farm to feet
                Last edited by Texans42; 04-07-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I am a big fan of Sitka I don't care if poeple want to bash expensive gear. It's my choice and my money . I have also owned First Lite, Under Armour, and Kuiu. Sikta is all I have left, I sold the rest. All of my current Sitka is all the Optifade II white pattern. It may go up for sale only because I think my days of treestand hunting might be over after how poorly the recovery of a 3rd back surgery is going.

Comment

theres a reason its expensive. Because its really good gear!

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      This is true several make mountaineering clothing if you’re not stuck on camo. Most are just as expensive and some even more expensive though if you find clothes with all the same traits and materials. I have some Marmot pants I prefer for certain situations.
                      Some of it actually goes on sale though. Plus you can wear it not hunting, which is some of the reasons I switched. I'd rather wear $200 pants all year long, not just 8 weeks in fall.

Comment

Originally posted by tradslam View Post
                        Some of it actually goes on sale though. Plus you can wear it not hunting, which is some of the reasons I switched. I'd rather wear $200 pants all year long, not just 8 weeks in fall.
                        All my Sitka was on sale when I bought it also

I do like being able to wear it more often even though I’ve worn out a couple shirts and a pair of pants that way so I just save the stuff for hunting if it works

Comment

Everything but Sitka sucks

Comment

I always think funny watching shows or seeing trophy pics the hunter is wearing $900 worth of high tech camo and guide is wearing wranglers and a carhartt jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
                              I always think funny watching shows or seeing trophy pics the hunter is wearing $900 worth of high tech camo and guide is wearing wranglers and a carhartt jacket.
                              That is pretty typical
                              I've hunted Colorado or NM 27 years and my regular old academy and Wal-Mart stuff worked just fine.
                              But if a fella believes in the good stuff.....go with it

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
                                Outfitter I use in Alaska, along with his guides will have lots of Kuiu gear they use

Comment

Working...
                                X