reaction tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reaction tuning

this is why I reaction tune and why I teach this method. this picture is from a person I know in Austria. he was testing some 300 spine arrows to see if he could use and what tip weight would spine correctly.

what you should notice is there is not any really side tears. this means is power stroke is set. so only high and low tears are what you should see. this picture us a prime example. when the arrow is showing to much bend (underspined) you have a high tear. when the arrow has the correct reaction its a bullet hole and when the arrow doesn't have enough bend (overspined) it starts into a low tear.

tuning arrows with reactions will give you a more forgiving set up.
    Attached Files

Cool. Looks like he chose 175gr...but couldve chose 200. How would you go about splittin that hair for a decision?...Walk back bareshafting?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
      Cool. Looks like he chose 175gr...but couldve chose 200. How would you go about splittin that hair for a decision?...Walk back bareshafting?

he did this at 2 m. tomorrow he will do it at 10m.

for me I normally do this to check correct spine/reaction. but ill back up to around 20 yards once I find the two that are closest. like the 200 and 175. then I can look and see what I need to do to fix.

in this case being both are so close and if it stays that way at 20 yards then its just what tip weight you want.

Comment

Interesting.

-------------------------------
        Violence never settles anything
        -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Nice. Im gonna swap tips on some 175s showing stiff...see how the 200s fly.

Id love to see how the 10m turns out.

Comment

Nice. Im gonna swap tips on some 175s showing stiff...see how the 200s fly.

Id love to see how the 10m turns out.
            me to. I'm betting it goes to crap haha but one of the weight should be close

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              me to. I'm betting it goes to crap haha but one of the weight should be close

Im having a heck of a time paper tuning my recurve. I cant seem to get holes less than 3/4”-1”. Im wondering if its realistic to do so since the feather fletchings cause arrows to measure an inch wide.

Aside from tuning shafts for the 175gr heads...Im also tuning to 300gr heads now since the 340 Aftermaths dont seem to like anything else. Im tuning two sets. First group full length 31 7/8” long with 18gr aluminum inserts...good holes punched...650 gr ish. Second group cut to 30 3/4” with 75gr brass inserts...paper showing slightly weak...700 gr ish. Im gonna knock 25 gr off the brass inserts and see if that doesnt straighten them out.

Comment

Im having a heck of a time paper tuning my recurve. I cant seem to get holes less than 3/4”-1”. Im wondering if its realistic to do so since the feather fletchings cause arrows to measure an inch wide.

Aside from tuning shafts for the 175gr heads...Im also tuning to 300gr heads now since the 340 Aftermaths dont seem to like anything else. Im tuning two sets. First group full length 31 7/8” long with 18gr aluminum inserts...good holes punched...650 gr ish. Second group cut to 30 3/4” with 75gr brass inserts...paper showing slightly weak...700 gr ish. Im gonna knock 25 gr off the brass inserts and see if that doesnt straighten them out.
                so you are seeing a left tear for the recurve

Comment

so you are seeing a left tear for the recurve
                  I keep seeing these U shaped tears. Im new to this tuning jive and not sure where to go with these. So I decided to strip a shaft and bareshaft...rather than knock off 25gr from the insert.
                  Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

15yds shooting left handed

Comment

20yds left handed...recurve. If I read the Easton tuning guide correctly...Im stiff and Ive gone too far and cut too much.

Who sells a shaft stretcher?

Comment

20yds left handed...recurve. If I read the Easton tuning guide correctly...Im stiff and Ive gone too far and cut too much.

Who sells a shaft stretcher?
                        If your getting a to stiff reaction. It’s easy to test. Add more tip weight

I’m not a recurve shooter. Reactions are still reactions. But talking to people on the trad forum might be better. Again a reaction is still a reaction so if you are seeing a stiff reaction for a trad set up then you fix the same way. Add tip weight
                        Last edited by enewman; 05-21-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

If your getting a to stiff reaction. It’s easy to test. Add more tip weight

I’m not a recurve shooter. Reactions are still reactions. But talking to people on the trad forum might be better. Again a reaction is still a reaction so if you are seeing a stiff reaction for a trad set up then you fix the same way. Add tip weight
                          I think Im tapped out at 300gr point and 75gr insert. I dont really want to stuff stuff in the shaft for more weight...Ill scrap the shafts and start again at full length.

Comment

I think Im tapped out at 300gr point and 75gr insert. I dont really want to stuff stuff in the shaft for more weight...Ill scrap the shafts and start again at full length.

Comment

this is why I reaction tune and why I teach this method. this picture is from a person I know in Austria. he was testing some 300 spine arrows to see if he could use and what tip weight would spine correctly.

what you should notice is there is not any really side tears. this means is power stroke is set. so only high and low tears are what you should see. this picture us a prime example. when the arrow is showing to much bend (underspined) you have a high tear. when the arrow has the correct reaction its a bullet hole and when the arrow doesn't have enough bend (overspined) it starts into a low tear.

tuning arrows with reactions will give you a more forgiving set up.
                              I guess I don’t understand what you are trying to establish with this post. It is common knowledge that with a release fired compound bow, depending on cam systems, a higher paper tear indicates a weak arrow, and a low paper tear indicates a stiff arrow. Some cam systems are more forgiving of spine than others

Comment

Working...
                              X