Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
    How I Germinate acorns.

I pick the acorns directly off the tree before they hit the ground.
    I place them in a bucket filled with water. ( the acorns that float, I throw away)

I then place some saw dust in a large ziplock bag and mix in the acorns.
    I add water until the saw dust is really damp and then zip tight and place in the bottom of my fridge.( where you keep your lettuce or tomatoes)

After a few weeks I start seeing roots developing and then I will plant the individual acorns.
    Have you had good success? Seems simple

How do you plant them once you take them out?

Comment

Following along. Very good stuff thanks for sharing.

Comment

Some of the White Oaks are already 4" tall.

Chinquapin Oaks are just beginning to sprout.

Allegheny Chickapins are also beginning to sprout.

Comment

Couple of those ain't playing around!

Comment

Originally posted by akstigo01 View Post
            I would like to try... What do you suggest they are planted in? What kind of lights do you have over them? Anything else I should know?
            Oaks need to be able to send down a long tap root. There are cells that air prune the roots to avoid the roots circling in the container. The most popular are called Root Trainer cells, I am using trays called Cone-tainers. The lights are just 24" flourescent fixtures with 6500k (daylight spectrum)bulbs. When growing oaks you need to know whether your acorn is from the White Oak or the Red Oak family. Red Oaks need cold stratification while White Oaks will germinate as soon as they fall from the tree.

Comment

Would someone tell me if I am doing this wrong? I don't have a light system or anything like that. Though, I wish I did. I am stratifying red oak acorns now. I plan on planting them in rootmaker cells and putting them near windows. When the leaves begin to show, I will move them outside in a protected area. How long should I leave them in the rootmaker cells? That is, I don't plan on putting them in the ground until next winter. Should I transplant them from the rootmaker cells to a one or three gallon bucket at any time before next winter? Do I need to harden them before transplanting? That is, should I get them used to the natural rain cycle as opposed to regular systematic watering?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Can anyone Id these acornsClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421019353.449804.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	24357983

Comment

Anyone sucessful with bur oak acorns? I failed with all 6 I planted this year.

Comment

Up

Comment

Question: Can you speed up the sprouting process by getting the shell off and planting the core? That way you not waiting weeks for the shell to rot off under ground to get the germination going?

Comment

Just think, if you live long enough you may get the opportunity to harvest a deer eating acorns under a tree that you planted. How cool would that be? I have 2 live oaks in my backyard that are approx 20ft tall and 17 inches around at the base that are from acorns started just like you guys are discussing here. I have planted a burr oak and a Mexican white oak that were about 2 years old and were started in pots but they didn't survive. I have transplanted a red oak that has a trunk about the size of a pencil and have my fingers crossed that it will survive.

Comment

All the seedlings are taking off. Getting new sprouts daily. I planted some Bur Oak and Swamp White Oak today.
                          White Oak

Chinquapin Oak

Allegheny Chickapin
                          Last edited by EastTx; 01-13-2015, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            Question: Can you speed up the sprouting process by getting the shell off and planting the core? That way you not waiting weeks for the shell to rot off under ground to get the germination going?
                            I have never tried. Would be very tedious if you were planting very many.

Comment

Originally posted by Corn Sack View Post
                              Can anyone Id these acorns[ATTACH]685532[/ATTACH]
                              Hard to tell without the leaf but looks like acorns from the Red Oak family which would need cold stratification. Looks similar to some Nuttall Oak acorns I have in the fridge.

Comment

just bought some sawtooth acorns on ebay. i got some spare shop lights laying around. time to grow some trees

Comment

Working...
                                X