Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
    I can pee further than all of yall!!
    How can you know for sure? Have you actually seen them pee? Was wind a factor? Uphill, or downhill? Are you counting splatter? If you are taller do you have an advantage?

Comment

Where do I get'em around here??? please don't say Cabela's please don't say Cabela's

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
        How can you know for sure? Have you actually seen them pee? Was wind a factor? Uphill, or downhill? Are you counting splatter? If you are taller do you have an advantage?
        More PSI secondary to less friction loss.....its a curse and a gift.

Comment

I appreciate the opinion of anyone who HAS USED BFO, btw.

Comment

Qzilla and Leftridge, what are your occupations ?

Dale - if you are asking about BFO, the cheapest place to get them that I have found is up in Denton at Dennis' Farm Store, which is in the same parking lot as MBS Seed. The fellow that runs Dennis' Farm Store worked on the development of the 833 Oat years ago and he can tell you the history of the BFO. He also has lots of experience with the BFO. He sells all kinds of oats but will tell you that there is most definitely a difference, not a hoax or a marketing gimmick.
            Last edited by wellingtontx; 09-08-2010, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I kind of wish I hadn't made a comment earlier, but my "significantly" was meant for testing the oats compared to other oats for statistical differences. All of the research that I have been a part of was in LA (undergraduate) and south Arkansas (graduate).

When I moved to east TX, I worked with the biologist at Scrappin' Vally and Boggy Slough. They have experimented with every seed on all types of ground. The biggest problem that EVERYONE has is lime and fertilize. If you do not prep the soil, you can't grow anything right. Most people do not put the time and money into the soil and the plant does not grow into its full potential. I have always been taught to spend more money on the soil and less on the seed. So whether it is seed oats, feed oats or trophy oats, make sure the soil is right before wasting any money.

Comment

Dale, there's a dealer in Denton.
                I have used them for 2yrs in a row now in Coleman and had good luck with them, and we have pretty poor soil.
                They do grow a little slower but it seems to keep the does interested in the new growth longer.
                They will be in the ground by the 15th again this year.
                Good luck!
                Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 09-08-2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Like they said with size of Texas what works north won't won't work south. Some are planting oats now which I think is too early since still 94-95 temps here around San Antonio but to each his own I had mine burn up with that type temps....I will wait till high temp of 85 before planting any oats for my cattle...TO each his own believes great country we live in here.....Andy

Comment

I have done test plots for MBS seed and we have tested the bob oat to BF Oat comparison. We split a 5 acre field in half and planted both types of seed. I have watched deer walk through the Bob Oats and eat out of the BF Oats. I think the BF Oats are more palatable. However, we plant mixes and in the whole scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.IMHO. I don't think that one kind of Oat will make a huge difference on the deers body size. Just spoke with my contact with MBS and I will be planting Bob Oats, Wheat, Austrian Winter Peas, Turnips and Rape. If anything, the Turnips and Rape will help the deer more than anything. They have a higher protein content and they become palatable later in the season when the bucks will be trying to put their weight back on from the rut.

If you want to increase the size of your bucks, make sure they have plenty to eat after the rut and pray for rain during the Spring crop planting.

My 2 cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by qzilla View Post
                      You make a very good point and a very valid point.

The problem here is not whether or not BF oats will grow or if they are the best food plot. It is whether or not they are better than "regular oats" bob oats or whatever.

Now, I have done these tests in 3 different regions of the state, north TX, S TX and WAY South TX (Sand country). They do better in certain soild for sure but, at the end of the day if you stick "regular" oats in the ground next to BF oats, the BF will produce more forage and do it longer and do it in more severe weather than regular oats will. That is a FACT. They are a forage oat, not a seed oat and were developed to specifically to stay tender longer and provide more total forage.

So they may not grow good in some parts, I agree but, if you plant them side by side they are the better oat which was the original question.

We did the same exact thing. An oat is an oat is an oat is what we screamed for years until we someone convinced us to try which is why I would prefer that some actual facts get stated and not hearsay.

Not only did we measure the oats, we used exclusion cages and we also used exclusion fences in some instances just to test the oats at various stages if they are not browsed. To go even further we compared prior years fecal sample results to last years fecal sample results to see if we could see any difference. I cannot assure you that it was all in the oats because we strive to make everything better every year but, our nutrition is better now than it used to be according to lab results of fecal samples.

You will have a hard time responding until you can further improve your reading comprehension.

I am going to help you out.

Below is the simple request from the OP:

You haven't. So quit spreading hearsay.

You are spreading hearsay, which is very similar. Ask your buddy grayson what the definition of hearsay is, he is an attorney I am sure he is well versed.

If it is on the internet it must be true!

This is where I can totally 100% agree with you. There are tons of ways to do this and there are ways to do it better than we are doing it now for sure.

My beef is this:

Not I've done.

If you are going to use statements like that you better have something to back it up, more than an internet link.

I think you should voice any opinion you want. When you starts spewing info out that you don't have ANY firsthand knowledge about and then want to proceed to tell everyone something is a huge waste of money you are going to get sharp responses back.

Same is true for braodheads, bows, arrows, feeders, protein etc.
                      Do you have a belief that deer have a preference for Buck Foarage Oats over Bob Oats?

That seems to be the real issue..The fact that BFO are more hardy, produce more tonnage, etc is not really at debate. Those qualities of BFO are super if the deer eat it or have a preference for it over regualar "bob oats".

So could you please provide us with something of a side by side compairision, much like was done with the hearsey link I provided, to shows us that in fact BFO are "better" than Bob Oats in regards to deer actually eating it?

I've seen you provide ZIPPO of evidence other than your saying it is so.. Please, do SHOW us your research data. Pictures are great.. I'd specifically like to see the side by side picture of the utilization cages of BFO and "Bob Oats". While we are evaluating the merits of your experience could you quantify the consumption of each so that we might see the value we get by going with BFO over Bob Oats?

My beef is the fact that your busting my nuts over an opinion I have made based on the internet "research" I'd done on the subject. Lickcreeks research regarding the issue is pretty well laid out and documented in pictures.. It's compelling visual evidence---NONE of which you have provided..

I've never said that your experience is not valid and what works for you is great..But, at your age you'd think you'd learn that disagreeing doesn't mean you have to be disagreeable...

While we are one reading comprehension..I stated "I've seen a lot of research that showed Buck Forage Oats were a huge waste of money compaired to regular ol' Bob Oats.."... I did not say they were--I said I'd seen some reasearch that suggested that... And I provided a link to that..

People make "educated" observations all the time based on others data, not personal experience. But I guess that is Hearsey! Blasphemy!

There goes any belief in the bible I guess.. Too dang much hearsey!

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                      Qzilla and Leftridge, what are your occupations ?
                      Emergency Manager/Cop
                      Last edited by Leftridge; 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        Where do I get'em around here??? please don't say Cabela's please don't say Cabela's
                        They do have them at Dennis.. I was in there Friday picking up my sorry ol' Bob oats..

I'll be driving through Decatur on Sat. if you want me to pick you some up on my way through..

Comment

how many acres with Buck oats cover and what is the cost

Comment

I just called the feed store here in Nac and they have a 50# bag for BFO for $30

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
                              I just called the feed store here in Nac and they have a 50# bag for BFO for $30
                              I just bought a 50lb bag of "Bob" oats for 11.50....

Comment

Plot Spike Oats from Tractor Supply, can't go wrong there !!!! Cover 1/2 acre for $20.00.

Comment

Working...
                                X