Elk Hunt - Accubond Long Range v. Hornady Precision Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk Hunt - Accubond Long Range v. Hornady Precision Hunter

If both of these rounds are equally accurate out of my rifle, which one of these bullets would you choose and why for an elk hunt?

I dont have any experience with the precision hunter but I have shot a lot of animals with accubonds and they have worked excellent. I load accubonds for whatever rifle I take elk hunting each year. Either 30-06 or 300 wsm.

Comment

What distance are you planning on shooting? What caliber are you carrying?

Comment

Since when did they start making accubond and hornady arrows???

I would go with the hornady, but I am sure the experts will chime in soon.

Comment

accubonds fo me, hornady has eldx bullets in them, the jury is still out on these bullets.at close range ive heard they come apart.ive got some but i havent seen their performance on big game yet.

Comment

First, what caliber and bullet weight are you considering? Not because you need input on that, which you will invariably will get (not from me), but because that affects the comparison of bullets for the application.

I really like the Ballistic Studies website discussion of factory loads. It seems the most objective to me in a world where opinions are a dime a dozen.

The Precision Hunter is loaded with ELD-X bullets.
            I've had great success with them on pretty tough game... including a one shot kill on an auodad at 335 yards with a 117gr. .25 cal bullet.
            The two are very similar... I like the positive interlock of the ELD-X over the mysterious "unique proprietary bonding process" used in the Accubond. On that basis I like the Partition over the Accubond as well, but you didn't ask that.
            No doubt the Accubonds have a long history of superb performance.. when good caliber and weight choices are made for the application.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
              Since when did they start making accubond and hornady arrows???

I would go with the hornady, but I am sure the experts will chime in soon.
              I told my elk outfitter I was planning to use Easton FMJs in September and he lit up.

Comment

Originally posted by tminc View Post
                accubonds fo me, hornady has eldx bullets in them, the jury is still out on these bullets.at close range ive heard they come apart.ive got some but i havent seen their performance on big game yet.
                I specifically mentioned the Accubond Longrange which also have a real tendency to come apart at close range. We were loading them in 2 different rifles and after last years performance we are switching everything back to regular Accubonds

Comment

If it were me, I'd choose the Accubonds. I've always wanted to like Hornady ammo, but I typically haven't seen results I like at the range or in the field with Hornady. Nosler products, on the other hand, have always performed more consistently, at least in my experience. I'm sure some others have had experiences to the contrary. I have more faith in Partitions and Accubonds, sometimes that makes the difference, faith in your equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricanebow View Post
                    Nosler products, on the other hand, have always performed more consistently, at least in my experience.
                    That has been my experience too. The 180 partitions are really accurate in my .300 winmag. Dropped a 300# aoudad with one well placed shot at 200 yards with excellent expansion.

Comment

I am a avid re loader and long range hunter with a rifle as well . I would suggest you to look into a Barnes tipped TSX . I have never had these bullets ever fail even with it has hit bone it will never come apart . 99-100 5 weight after the shot . I know it was not the two you had listed but my go to bullet for stopping thick skinned large animals has been Barnes . I have tried many others and and no longer look any further . If you not a re loader then buy it loaded You did not mention what caliber so hard to say or even suggest a weight per say good luck on your hunt .

Comment

I've not been happy with the 143 ELDX in my .264 Win Mag. I've taken several deer at less than 100yds and the bullets came apart. I shoot either 165 or 180 gr Nosler Partitions out of my .300 Win Mag.

Comment

From what I’ve seen with the eldx you have to shoot through bone for them to perform correctly. Soft tissue or thin bone hits they won’t exit. Weird I know but I spent a lot of time with these these past two years and shooting deer on the Ranch I help on.

Comment

I'm in a similar position and leaning towards the accubonds (.308 165 gr)

Comment

Good info I have seen the same thing with the items listed where as the TTSX will open each and every time Thin skin thick bone you name it . I have only recovered 1 bullet. My buddy shot a Cow moose and it was a quartering shot the bullet had smashed shoulder and pelvis and was just under the skin in the rump . 300 winmag 180 weight bullet .

it weighed 98% of original. text book peel back

Comment

Working...
                              X