First Black Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Black Bear

Just returned from our black bear hunt. Hunted the inland portion of Alaska. First trip to Alaska, first bear hunt. This is my bear, took it with my bow. My daughter encountered problems with her bow and opted to switch to rifle so she also managed to take a nice boar. Had a great time with our hosts, they certainly were patient and put up with a couple of flatlanders for the week. Both bears were just a tad over 6' square and skulls were both right at 18" Needless to say, we both left Alaska with a lot of great memories and two great bears. Emily opted for a rug while I opted for a shoulder mount for mine.
    I put together a short video of my hunt. Nothing fancy, but the video is decent. Have the shot from the blind and the bear was kind enough to stand in front of the GoPro for the pass through shot.

Where: inland AlaskaWhen: May 2017Equipment: BowTech RPM 360 bow, Carbon Express Pile Driver 350 arrow, 125 grain Slick Trick Razor Trick broadhead
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bushwacker361; 06-01-2017, 06:59 PM.

Looking forward to seeing the video when it's posted.

Comment

In for video

Comment

Sorry, it posted without the video, had to edit and add the link. Also added a picture.

Comment

nice bear

Comment

That's great.

Comment

He was the biggest that I had a shot at. We saw a lot of bears, the first night we saw 22 different bears, the next night 18. My daughter was in another blind and she saw about the same each night as well. There were some really big bears on the trail cameras, with each blind setup having bears that were taller than the T Posts, which are 36" out of the ground. We just weren't in the blinds when they passed through. But anything over 6' is considered a shooter for them, but a small shooter. We aren't complaining though, they are big enough for us.

Comment

Fantastic! Congratulations

Comment

Looks like you made a really good shot too. I'm with you, for a first bear, that would be plenty big for me. Congrats to both of you !

Comment

Who did you hunt with?

Comment

Nice video and Congrats on awesome bears!

Comment

meangreen, I hunted with a fella named Peyton. He lives in Fairbanks, but where we hunted I'm not allowed to say. It was state land, therefore, anyone can hunt the areas he has baited. Hence, the secrecy. Kinda like the best spot to catch redfish, ain't nobody giving that up to strangers.

And on the shot placement, he kinda fussed at me, said it was too low. He laughed and said all the deer hunters shoot low. It was a heart shot, direct hit, but he likes the point of impact to be about four inches higher.
                        I've replayed that video fifty times and mentally place my pin on the point I want my arrow to hit, every time, it's where that red nock disappears into his side.
                        What is deceiving is the length of the hair. It's about three inches long and makes the chest look that much lower to the ground. They say 'shoot in the middle, behind the shoulder' I wasn't quite in the middle, but hey, he ran 25 yards and crashed.

Comment

Nice big headed bear !

Comment

Great video and beautiful bear! Congrats.

Comment

Congratulations on a great bear

Comment

Working...
                              X