No announcement yet.

Ok, so where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shane has already given you a bunch of great info and knows way more about photography than I ever will. When I first got off of auto, somebody recommended this book to me:

Beyond Point-and-Shoot: Learning to Use a Digital SLR or Interchangeable-Lens Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VB46C9C..._FjSQAbANHXKHN

I downloaded the kindle version and read it here and there at night. It broke everything down simple enough to understand and was a huge help. One other thing I’ll say (which Shane referenced) is it was a lot easier for me to fine tune my use of each setting by first switching to one of the other settings (for example, Shutter). Isolating down to learning one or two variables at a time was easier for me to learn the ins and outs of each and then put it all together in Manual.

Comment

Thanks, y'all! I'll take those pointers to the field, Shane!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Tons of videos on Youtube that helped me get into shooting manual.

https://youtu.be/EYbTEB2mQX8

Good luck - don't be afraid to take bad shots, it's going to happen. Good thing about digital, just erase and try again!

Comment

Great info. Tagged for more review later

Comment

Thanks. Tagged for review.

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
              Time for me to take the step from "Auto" settings to the big boy stuff! What is a good source, preferably on-line, where I can read up on which settings to use and when?

Tgil, you are more than welcome to join me when i head out to shoot. I know sometimes the best learning tool is doing it first hand with someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The other thing is you can read all you want, but the best thing is to just get out and take pictures. I found researching to give me an idea of where to start, but every scene and every lighting condition is different outdoors. Practicing and shooting 1000’s of pictures gets you used to where the adjustments are on your camera so that changing them becomes second nature. L

Sometimes changes have to be made extremely quickly to get the right shot.

I would recommend going to a local state park and just taking pictures. Most of them will not turn out great, but a few will be good. The more you go and the more pictures you take, the more “keepers” you’ll have. Photography is truly a practice makes perfect experiment.

Comment

Working...
                X