Chicken and dumplins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken and dumplins

I went on several pheasant hunts this year and have a good mess of pheasant. I would like to take some of the meat and make Pheasant and dumplins.
    Can y'all help a brother out, I'm in need of a good recipe.
    Thanks

in!
    I have a good pile of them as well. would love to make some dumplings with them

Comment

I'd like to see a good pheasant and dumplings recipe as well. I came back with a load of birds from my preserve hunt in Kansas last month. Another good one to try is making a pheasant pot pie. (lots of recipes for it on the internet) I made one Sunday -- mmmmm, good!

Comment

Pheasant dries out quickly when frying or baking it, I thought dumplins would be the way to go. I'm in for the pot pie recipe jerp.

Comment

Cut the meat into chunks and cover with enough water to cover the meat. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic power and boil till meats done. Then add a can of evaporated milk and a stick of butter and more pepper to taste and simmer over med heat till butters all melted and it comes to a boil again. Then tear apart a can of cheap biscuits and toss into the mix and simmer at lower heat until the biscuits are done. I do it with chicken. Pheasant. Turkey. Nutria. It's all white meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
            I do it with chicken. Pheasant. Turkey. Nutria. It's all white meat.
            Ha, I was following you there buddy until the nutria part. Have skinned hundreds of them and their meat is about as dark red as you can get.

Comment

Yum!

Comment

When I make chicken and dumplings I use the bisquick recipe on box. I also use chicken broth along with the broth from cooking the chicken. Bisquick will make a thicker broth not soupy. The way I like it. The next day if it's to thick just add a little water or chicken broth when heating up. Gotta have pepper in it for sure. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	24484983

Comment

Originally posted by switchback View Post
                  When I make chicken and dumplings I use the bisquick recipe on box. I also use chicken broth along with the broth from cooking the chicken. Bisquick will make a thicker broth not soupy. The way I like it. The next day if it's to thick just add a little water or chicken broth when heating up. Gotta have pepper in it for sure. [ATTACH]840591[/ATTACH]
                  Looking good!

Comment

I will be in the minority but I love dumplings made from tortillas

Comment

Here is my recipe for chicken and dumplings... I don't know if this would be good with pheasant or not though as the pheasant does not have the fat in it necessary to make good dumplings

1 -whole hen (if all I can find is a fryer I might add a little chicken base as sometimes they do not give enough flavor)
                      1 -family sized package of Mary B's dumplings (walmart has them)
                      1 - can evaporated milk
                      3/4 cup flour (might need a little more or less depending on exactly how much broth you have left after cooking the chicken)
                      Salt
                      Pepper

Cut up the chicken and boil it in large pot until almost falling off the bone in a 8qt pot. Debone chicken and set aside. Strain the broth return it to the pot. Bring to a slight boil and drop in the dumplings. I usually cut them into 1/4ths before putting them in. Cook about 20 minutes. Add evaporated milk. Cook 5 minutes. Take 3/4 or so cup flour and add in some of the broth and stir until all the lumps are gone. Dump it into the big pot to thicken. Add chicken and cookh 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for about a hour. For some reason the dumplings do not expand all the way until you do this. Eat and enjoy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by CADDOKILLER; 03-14-2017, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Here's a recipe for making them from "scratch" like Grandma used to make.

Ingredients:
                        Big fat hen
                        2 eggs
                        1 cup of flour
                        1 tsp salt
                        1/2 tsp black pepper
                        Touch of parsley
                        NOTE: we double the ingredients (flour, eggs, salt, pepper) to get enough for leftovers. You can triple or quadruple too depending on how much you want, but you will probably need a bigger pot.
                        1. Get a big hen and boil in salted/peppered/parsleyed water until cooked. Set aside to cool. When cool, bone the chicken and set the meat aside.
                        2. In a big bowl, beat the eggs, then add the flour, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.
                        3. Put the pot the chicken was cooked in on the stove to heat up while preparing the dumplings. Add chicken broth as needed to insure you have plenty of liquid to cook the dumplings. Bring to a slow boil. DO NOT skim the fat off the liquid!!! It is flavor!!!!
                        4. Roll the ball of dough out on a floured surface until about 1/8 to 1/4" thick.
                        5. Cut the dough into strips (I use a pizza cutter) about 1/2" to 3/4" wide and 4" long.
                        6. As you cut the strips, drop them into the boiling pot. When all the dumplings are in the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until done. I don't know how long--but until the dumplings are firm.
                        7. Add the chicken to the dumplings, stir, and re-season to your taste. If the dumplings are a bit underdone, just cook a bit longer.

As with most "one-pot" meals, they are usually better the second day.
                        Last edited by dustoffer; 03-26-2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                          Here's a recipe for making them from "scratch" like Grandma used to make.

Ingredients:
                          Big fat hen
                          2 eggs
                          1 cup of flour
                          1 tsp salt
                          1/2 tsp black pepper
                          Touch of parsley
                          NOTE: we double the ingredients (flour, eggs, salt, pepper) to get enough for leftovers. You can triple or quadruple too depending on how much you want, but you will probably need a bigger pot.
                          1. Get a big hen and boil in salted/peppered/parsleyed water until cooked. Set aside to cool. When cool, bone the chicken and set the meat aside.
                          2. In a big bowl, beat the eggs, then add the flour, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.
                          3. Put the pot the chicken was cooked in on the stove to heat up while preparing the dumplings. Add chicken broth as needed to insure you have plenty of liquid to cook the dumplings. Bring to a slow boil. DO NOT skim the fat off the liquid!!! It is flavor!!!!
                          4. Roll the ball of dough out on a floured surface until about 1/8 to 1/4" thick.
                          5. Cut the dough into strips (I use a pizza cutter) about 1/2" to 3/4" wide and 4" long.
                          6. As you cut the strips, drop them into the boiling pot. When all the dumplings are in the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until done. I don't know how long--but until the dumplings are firm.
                          7. Add the chicken to the dumplings, stir, and re-season to your taste. If the dumplings are a bit underdone, just cook a bit longer.

As with most "one-pot" meals, they are usually better the second day.
                          This sounds like the chicken and dumplings I grew up on -- flat dumplings that do not float. However, the slightly thickened broth/gravy was based on a light brown roux. Some good eats there!

Comment

Mmmm goot!

Comment

Love me some chicken n Dumplings on a cold rainy day.

Comment

Working...
                              X