No announcement yet.

Coastal trailer mansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trailer mansion is currently at my house so we can work on it every day (yeah me!). First thing me and my boys did was to strip it down to bare studs, or the lack there of. Then there was a great Viking funeral Bon fire of rotting trailer parts. The pics look bad but in reality only 20% of the trailer was structurally in bad shape. All rotten wood was removed and we went back with r13 insulation. That's literally twice the thickness of the factory insulation.
    Attached Files

Comment

I can only load one pic at a time!
      Attached Files

Comment

Looking good so far!

Comment

The structural replacement was easy and went fairly fast. However I had to make a change in the plans. Originally we were to cover the trailer in tounge and groove knotty pine that was to be stained. I then decided that putting that kind of money into a trailer was foolish as I would never be able to recoupe it. Soooooo I found a 12" x 5/8" exterior siding to use instead. Does the job with half the cool factor and a fraction of the cost of knotty pine. The ceiling is an 1/8" ply board and all the wiring is replaced with 110.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice. I was looking for a place down that way. Something to just put a metal building on and finish out for a fish camp.

Comment

Now it's my wife's turn. I don't paint.
              Attached Files

Comment

Coming along nicely, congrats on the new land!

Comment

cool deal...

Comment

how hard is it to fix one that has structural damage without compromising its structural integrity?

Comment

It wasn't super easy but I didn't find it impossible at all. I had to replace one entire floor joist and some flooring. I built braces to hold the wall up and repaired from the floor up. Keep in mind this is light weight construction from the start. It was never unstable or had a lot of weight bearing down o it.

Comment

Do you mind sharing who you found to do some work for you down there?

I can't seem to get anyone to follow through in POC and am doing something very similar.

Comment

Garry Reese. (361) 746-1019

I am 100% happy with him.

Comment

Appreciate that, I'll be giving him a call.

Comment

have a 1969 airstream globetrotter I think its a 21 foot that I need to bring to the house and when I have the time fix it up to go camping in ,but not sure if ill get in over my head.the airstream websites make it look so simple from floor repair to body removal.

Comment

It's not that bad. Just remember that they are slapped together and can be slapped apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X