Hangon vs Climber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hangon vs Climber

I need some help. I've always used ladder stands and climbers. This year I keep looking at the lone wolf hangons as an option for public hunting. Anyone else out there use hangons on public land? I want the mobility but don't want to obstruct my shooting when bow hunting

I have used both the Lone Wolf Assault hang-on and sticks and their handclimber and sit & climb. I really preferred the hang-on because it did not limit me to straight bare trees. But after 2 bicep surgeries I had difficulty hanging the Assault so I sold it. Now I just have the climbers which I am probably selling after yet another surgery (back surgery this time).

I would hang every time I hunted. Once you develop a system it's not hard to hang and hunt each time without being all sweaty and tired. Edit: well of course as long as you didn't have two ruptured bicep tendons lol.

Comment

I prefer hangon with climbing sticks. This will give you more options on trees you can get into. With a climber you are restricted to straight trees with no branches.

Comment

It all revolves around what kind of trees you have in your target area!

Comment

Ive always had both because of this. Use the hang-on on crooked trees and climber where I know I have straight trees with few branches like creek bottoms or east texas.

Comment

I feel they both have their advantages with the sticks and lockon being more versatile for sure. I only had a climber last year and had days where it made me want to pull my hair out. It sucks finding great spot with only crooked/thick trees. Bought LW sticks and stand for this year to add some new capabilities. I will still use the climber on some of the trees I know already through scouting, but later in the season when the deer are getting pushed around the LW will be a huge asset. the Lone Wolf stands have quite a few things I would recommend upgrading. Do some youtube searching if you haven't already or you can PM me and I will walk you through what I have done so far.

Good luck and be safe.

Comment

I have hunted public land for years....SHNF.
              Tree climber is the way to go. Get an Ol'Man climber, you can always find a straight pine tree and climb as high as you want and you can move locations in a hurry.
              I know everybody has their on way of hunting and types of stands, but I never leave the house without my climber. Good luck this year!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. How easy is it on your backside to make an all day sit in the lone wolf hangons?

Comment

I've hunted out of all three up here in West Virginia I would throw out the ladder and stick to the Hang on and climbers but love the Climbers!!!! Don't go cheap on them get a bigger one.

Comment

Originally posted by pepper81 View Post
                    Thanks for all the comments. How easy is it on your backside to make an all day sit in the lone wolf hangons?
                    I upgraded the seat as I had some concerns with my back issues. The LW upgraded seat is about 3 times thicker and weighs next to nothing. In my climber I fell asleep plenty of times last year. There were days were I thought about just sleeping in the tree to be in place for the morning hunt. This is another reason why I always wear a quality harness.

Comment

GOOD climbers are way more comfortable than a hang on.

Comment

I prefer hang on with rapid rails.. a hang on will work anywhere a climber will but don't work the other way around.. if it's public land and you remove your stand every time the I'd prefer a climber..

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                          I have hunted public land for years....SHNF.
                          Tree climber is the way to go. Get an Ol'Man climber, you can always find a straight pine tree and climb as high as you want and you can move locations in a hurry.
                          I know everybody has their on way of hunting and types of stands, but I never leave the house without my climber. Good luck this year!!!
                          Yes, but... that is the SHNF which is just mostly square miles of tall, straight pines. Even most of the hardwood stands has a pine you can find.

Leave the SHNF and you find that climbers aren't really all that useful. I sold my climber... to a buddy that was just getting into hunting the SHNF... because you are correct, it is an awesome stand for that area.

For better versatility, a hang on with sticks (preferably the segmented ones) is the way to go.

Comment

I'll be hunting Moore in SNF and some SHNF. Generally I've always been able to find trees for climbers. I was just robbed of a doe once by the bar on a sit and climb. Makes me leery of trying another hang on for bow

Comment

Originally posted by pepper81 View Post
                              I'll be hunting Moore in SNF and some SHNF. Generally I've always been able to find trees for climbers. I was just robbed of a doe once by the bar on a sit and climb. Makes me leery of trying another hang on for bow
                              I own a pile of hang on stands, including a Lone Wolf, and I don't understand how any of them would get in the way of shooting a bow. There's a platform to stand on, a seat to sit on, a tree trunk to lean on, and the front and sides are wide open for shooting.

Comment

Working...
                              X