No announcement yet.

How do you move away from "home"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I struggle with this constantly living in Houston. On one hand, I love our neighborhood and friends in the area. My wife and I both have great jobs and are on track to retire early.

On the other hand, my kids don't ride their bikes or have any freedom, because of the traffic, proximity to I10, etc. I'd like them to learn a bit about living off the land, and can do some of that by taking them hunting/fishing/etc, but not to the extent I'd prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhica View Post
      You got lucky and talked to the right people.......Glad it all worked out.
      Some sketchy guy from Houston hooked it up

Comment

My wife and I moved from NW FL to Austin 25 years ago and opened a business. It's tough being that far from some of the family and a blessing being that far away from some of the family. Our business allows us to travel back frequently so it has worked out well.

Comment

If the family is on board get your employment & finances lined out, pray to our Good Lord and do it. I am in a similar situation and 4 years from being eligible for retirement at 51. Looking to make a move soon and hoping to try possible retirement locations while still on the job so I can make the jump soon after I retire.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
            Florida keys.
            What are you waiting for?

I too am looking at moving in the near future

Comment

How do you move away from "home"?

I joined the Marines, one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Taught me how to be comfortable in new environments and how to make new friends, haven’t lived back “home” (in my hometown) but 1 out of the 16 last years, and that was for financial reasons.

If you’re not living somewhere where you enjoy living, then go find that place, but if you can’t, then at least move close to it so you can visit often.
              Last edited by rhendrix; 01-02-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
                Hurricanes and retired people.....NO WAY!
                There is nothing but old people and their parents in Florida!

Comment

I moved back home after being away, and I can honestly say that the only thing keeping me from leaving again is family. I have no love for this area of Texas, but if I end up here forever and get to spend weekends with the family whenever we want, it won’t be so bad.

That being said, if I could have my cake and eat it too, I’d get a job somewhere in the hill country around San Marcos and move there as soon as I could sell my house here. That area is very pretty country and only a couple hours from the family. If you can get a solid job that covers the new COL, go for it. The only thing that will stop you at that point is emotion, not logic.

Comment

I left Wisconsin at 20 and moved to Austin. Ten years later changed jobs and ended up in Denver, A few years later Phoenix, then Dallas. Ended up in Boerne when I took retirement. Still looking for the perfect place. Its all about attitude, there is a whole world out there to enjoy. Leaving the family is tough, but they understand eventually. I have friends that have never even left the little town I grew up in to this day, 54 years later! I m glad I left, I did a lot of traveling and lived several different places and was blessed to see and do a everything I have done. My advice is go look around, the world is full of opportunity and oysters!

Comment

You just have to pull the trigger and make it happen. Ensuring the family is on board is very important. I was in NV, AZ, CA and Austin before ending up here. I will probably leave again in a few years.

Comment

As a kid growing up, we moved regularly.
                        Born in Houma Louisiana, mom and dad moved us to Prescott Arizona for 2 years then back to Houma to take care of grandma. In 2000 we moved to Waco and in 2006 moved again to Louisiana but in New Iberia instead. After 4 years working, i got a promotion to move to Houston where i met my wife. Houston is a little too crowded for me and after 6 years of commuting 1 1/2 hrs one way every day to the woodlands, we too are thinking of getting out. But i am having a difficult time convincing the wife to leave. She spent her whole life here. If i could find good work up north, i would go.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                          Don't get me wrong as I love Colorado, but they may have Texas beat on growth and even worse, It's Californians.
                          Truer words were never spoken. It's crazy to me out out of control this place has gotten in the last few years. I was born and raised here in the Springs and it doesn't feel like the Springs anymore.

The wife and I have talked about moving 100 times a year for the last 10 years. We finally found a great place in the country way out of town and in the last 5 years, town has crept back up on us. No place will ever be perfect, but I believe you have to make the most of life while you can. If you hate it, move back.

Comment

I sold a bunch of my stuff, boxed up the rest and moved. It’s not that hard for me.

My wife on the other hand was born and raised in Dallas and getting her to move to Fort Worth was a trial. I’ve passed up some good jobs overseas because she’s too attached to her bubble here

Comment

Guess I'm lucky as I have only left my home town to go to school.

El Campo ain't much but it's close to big city stores and has all that I need.

Main thing it's close to the bays and I fish a lot so that's important and my Mother and my wife's folks still live here.

My wife wants to retire to our place in Utopia but while I love it there and the clear waters of the Sabinal River, it's too far from saltwater for me.

But then I'm getting older so I might not care lol.

I love the Keys and understand the draw for you. So if you have a job there and can go, just do it.

Good luck with it!

Comment

I have been getting the itch too. Grew up in this area ( about 20 mi from here ) and was fine with it until all the people started moving in. Im still out in the woods a ways but its creeping closer every day. As I age i am getting less and less tolerant of people and traffic. Tomball now is just Houston extended...Magnolia is worse than Tomball was when I was growing up. Montgomery is no better. And its all headed this way. On the other hand, I have built everything on this 10ac myself, excepting the shop slab, well and septic. When you have put this much into its hard to think about letting it go....

Comment

Working...
                                X