Another question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question

First of all, thanks for all the help on my AR thread.

My question is this: buy AR or buy something like a savage or Mossberg bolt rifle with wood stock and cut it down for my son? Hes 8 and small framed, maybe 50#. Just not sure about the AR, I guess because I don't know anything about them.

thanks

Wish you were closer I would have you and him come shoot mine. I went the AR route when I was in the exact same situation. That way I only had to take one rifle to the blind.

Collapse and he shoots. Expand and I shoot.

Hell I usually hunt with it now unless I am stretching my legs out.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
      Wish you were closer I would have you and him come shoot mine. I went the AR route when I was in the exact same situation. That way I only had to take one rifle to the blind.

Collapse and he shoots. Expand and I shoot.

Hell I usually hunt with it now unless I am stretching my legs out.

I am gonna meet a buddy this weekend. He has a 556 and a 6.8 to let my son shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My six-year-old son shoots my ARs with no problem. 5.56 and 7.62 x39

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think one is better than the other. We went the AR route with our kids because it was easy, we already had them and the kids thought they 'looked cool." I learned with rifles my dad cut down with a hacksaw in the garage. I'd talk to your kid and ask him which one HE likes best! Offer him some bolt choices like a Tikka, Savage or Ruger American. That way, if he goes that route you're going to get a decent shooting rifle that he can get a replacement stock for later; and that he'll WANT to keep and actually keep shooting.

There's nothing like your first rifle. I still shoot the Remington .22 that was my first rifle and also my Dad's first rifle.

Don't be intimidated by your lack of knowledge about the AR platform. There is SO much info available online that, if you can put together a bed frame, you can figure out how to build an AR. YouTube is full of video examples of how to do anything you'll ever need to do. Between this forum and AR15.com you can get any questions that you can think of answered very quickly!

Involving your son in the decision making and the shopping around will be, IMO, a bonding experience you'll never forget! Get after it, Dad!!

Comment

Only thing that is certain is that he'll outgrow a youth rifle before he outgrows an AR platform with collapsible stock. If I were you I'd build him a nice hunting AR from scratch and he'll be able to use it for the rest of his life if he wants and know that his dad built it for him. Also, the recoil buffer system lessens perceived recoil in my opinion, don't let your current knowledge of AR's dissuade you from them. I didn't know a lick about them when I built my first one and didn't have any issue. They are super simple guns and there is so much knowledge out there to be had. Plus you never know when .gov may tell you you can't buy one anymore. Currently AR prices are DIRT cheap for parts and rifles.
            Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-05-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Thx!

Comment

If you're going to go the AR route I'd hurry up - Las Vegas is already spinning up a panic and I won't be surprised if availability goes down and prices go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                  If you're going to go the AR route I'd hurry up - Las Vegas is already spinning up a panic and I won't be surprised if availability goes down and prices go up.

True

Comment

Well, tonight me n my son went to pull the card from camera n put out sweet feed. We start talking guns. He says he wants one like his big sister. Hers is a Savage Axis II. I asked him, are u sure you dont want an AR? He said yes im sure....kids, go figure. All he talked about was an AR for months. He will probably change his mind again 10x[emoji23]

Comment

Like father like Son :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                        Like father like Son :-)

Sad but true[emoji23]

Comment

Build yourself another AR "for him"...

Comment

I am building an 80% AR for each of my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                              Build yourself another AR "for him"...

[emoji16]

Comment

Working...
                              X