Strange Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Recipes

Ok. This is weird but I am wanting to get recipes for stuff that I don't normally eat. For example: Racoon, possum, turtle, snake, bobcat, mountain lion, porcupine, etc.

I think this will be fun for every one. So send what you have.

Hey in nobody posts here I will be forced to put it on around the campfire. lol.

Comment

As many of you probably have I've had fried rattlesnake - it was OK but other than the novelty of it I can take it or leave it. Turtle soup can be good if made right. As far as the other stuff, I'm sure lots of people swear by it - I've just always had an aversion to eating carnivores for some reason. I think I'll just I'll stick with the vegetarians...

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
        As many of you probably have I've had fried rattlesnake - it was OK but other than the novelty of it I can take it or leave it. Turtle soup can be good if made right. As far as the other stuff, I'm sure lots of people swear by it - I've just always had an aversion to eating carnivores for some reason. I think I'll just I'll stick with the vegetarians...
        Do you have any recipes for these?

Comment

Becareful what you ask for~ Here are some reciepes straight outta the backwoods.

BBQ Turtle

1 Turtle, cut in to serving pieces
          1 celery stalk chopped
          1 bell pepper chopped
          1 medium onion chopped
          1/2 tsp vinegar
          salt & Pepper to taste
          1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce

Soak Turtle meat in salt water overnight

In a large pot, place Turtle meat, celery, pepper,onion, & vinegar. Salt and Pepper to taste. Cover with water and bring to a boil.

Cover and simmer until meat is tender and ready to fall off the bone.

Remove meat and place in a baking dish, pour bottle of BBQ sauce over the top and bake at 375 until the sauce bubbles. Reduce heat to 200 degrees and cook 4o minutes. Baste often.

ARMADILLO MEATBALLS

1 lb ground armadillo meat
          1 egg
          2 tablespoons minced celery
          2 tablespoons minced onion
          1 tablespoons minced parsley
          1 tsp salt
          1/2 tsp pepper
          flour
          oil

In a bowl, mix together the meat, egg celery, onion, parsley and salt n pepper. Form into 1 in balls and refrigerate for an hour.

In a skillet, heat 3/4 inch of oil

Roll the meat in the flour and fry until brown.

COON MEAL IN A BAG

1 Cleaned Coon
          8 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
          3 lb bag of baby carrots
          2 large onions sliced into rings
          4 bell peppers diced
          1 can of cream of mushroom soup
          1 1/2 cups of water
          2 oz of Mortons Natures Seasoning
          1 large baking bag - Turkey size

Place coon in the bag add the potatoes, carrots, onions and peppers.
          Mix the soup and water together in a bowl and add to the bag.
          Sprinkle on the Seasoning
          Seal bag
          Cook for 6/8 hours at 250 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
            Ok. This is weird but I am wanting to get recipes for stuff that I don't normally eat. For example: Racoon, possum, turtle, snake, bobcat, mountain lion, porcupine, etc.

I think this will be fun for every one. So send what you have.

is the economy THAT bad? LOL

Comment

One simple recipe that works for just about anything
              Meat of choice
              seasonings of choice, garlic, pepper, onion, cajun spices, ect.
              brown sugar
              wrap meat in aluminum foil with above seasonings and sprinkle some brown sugar on it. place is oven at 250 for at least 4 hours depending on size. It will come out juicy and fall off the bone tender.

Comment

I just got back from South Africa. I can call Allison at Dare to Bowhunt and get her chicken feet recipe if you'd like!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                  I just got back from South Africa. I can call Allison at Dare to Bowhunt and get her chicken feet recipe if you'd like!!
                  Do it please. Heck yeah.

Comment

Ok yall are gonna force me to put it around the campfire. LOL. I am serious about wanting to know some strange recipes.

Comment

Cow Udder Eclairs

12 fresh lean cow udders
                      1 pint of whipping cream
                      1 cup of brown sugar
                      1 can artichoke hearts
                      1 stick butter
                      1 small filleted smelt
                      1 container of Nair

Soak the cow udders in Nair to remove the hair. Repeat several times if
                      necessary until all hair is removed. Rinse in warm water. Place a stick of
                      butter into a warm frying pan. Wait until all of the butter has melted,
                      then add the cow udders. Fry them for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
                      Chop the artichoke hearts and smelt on a cutting board into fine pieces. In
                      a large bowl, add the whipping cream, brown sugar and the chopped artichokes
                      and smelt. With a mixer on low, whip until creamy with a consistency like
                      vanilla pudding. Remove the udders from the pan and make a long slice down
                      the side of each udder. Spread the pudding mixture into each slit. Serve
                      warm or cold and have an "Udderly Wonderful" snack.

Comment

Soak any of the above in tequila overnight. Throw the meat away and drink the tequila.

Comment

Ok -- disclaimer -- I've never tried any of these. A guy I used to work with gave me a wild game cookbook that he said that his mother had used for years. It was pretty tattered when I got it. I have misplaced a lot of the pages of the really strange stuff but I found a couple that I'll post up for you.

Turtle Soup
                          3 lbs turtle meat, cut small
                          4 tbsp. flour
                          1 tbsp. salt
                          4 qts. stock & water
                          2 bay leaves
                          6 cloves
                          2 tbsp. lemon juice
                          4 tbsp. fat
                          1 c. tomatoes
                          1/2 clove garlic, minced fine
                          1 lump sugar
                          2 sprigs parsley
                          1/2 tsp. mace

Parboil meat for 10 minutes; save water for stock. Fry meat in fat. Remove meat from pan and brown the flour. Add tomatoes, salt and garlic. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Add turtle meat. Cook 3 hours. Strain if desired.

Porcupine
                          He is better than he looks. Parboil 30 minutes and roast or broil him to a golden brown. Season to taste. He will need no pork to make him juicy, you will find him like a spring lamb, only better. One part of the porcupine is a delicacy -- the liver, it may be fried with bacon or baked slowly.

Raccoon Pie
                          1 raccoon
                          1 qt. water
                          1 pt. vinegar
                          1 tbsp. salt
                          1 tsp. pepper
                          1tbsp. brown sugar
                          1/4 oz. pickling spices
                          1 onion, diced
                          4 small potatoes
                          4 small carrots

Gravy:
                          2 c. broth
                          2 tbsp. butter
                          5tbsp. browned flour
                          1 recipe of baking powder biscuits

Cut prepared raccoon into serving pieces. Mix water, seasonings, sugar and spices together. Put raccoon pieces in this brine for 8 hrs. or more. Drain; put in stewing kettle and cover with water. Cook until meat is tender. Add onion, potatoes and carrots. When all the ingredients are tender, remove from broth. Thicken liquid with browned flour and butter and season to taste. Place meat and vegetables in a dish and cover with gravy. Cover the top with your own recipe for baking powder biscuits, with a little extra shortening in dough. Bake in a 450 degree oven until brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. serves 8.

Comment

That is great! Keep em coming.

Comment

Rocky Mountain Oysters - Use any kind of "oysters" you wish to use

2 pounds calf testicles*
                              2 cups beer
                              2 eggs, beaten
                              1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
                              ¼ cup yellow cornmea1
                              Salt and ground black pepper to taste
                              Vegetable oil**
                              1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

* Be sure to ask your butcher for calf testicles, not bull testicles. Calf testicles are the size of a walnut and are much more tender than the larger bull testicles.

** Use enough vegetable oil to fill your frying container halfway to the top (to allow for bubbling up and splattering) and to completely cover calf testicles while frying.

With a very sharp knife, split the tough skin-like muscle that surrounds each testicle. Remove the skin (you can remove the skin easily if the testicles are frozen, then peel while thawing). Slice each testicle into approximately 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick ovals. Place slices in a large pan or blow with enough beer to cover them; cover and let sit 2 hours.

In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Remove testicles from beer; drain and dredge thoroughly in the flour mixture. In a large, deep pot, heat oil to 375 degrees F. Deep fry 3 minutes or until golden brown (will rise to the surface when done). Drain on paper towels.

Serve warm with your favorite hot pepper sauce.

Comment

Working...
                              X