Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Brass View Post
    I
    I'd like to see from a taxidermist the process they use to split lips, ears, tails, nose, etc... This is still a mystery to me. I, and I am sure many others posting on this thread, would love to have the input of a pro on how to do this.
    me too

Comment

awesome thread, I've had a kitty in my freezer for almost a year now, can't wait to see how this works out, looking forward to trying your method....keep the post coming

Comment

awesome info

Comment

Great Info. Thanks, look forward to the rest of the process.

Comment

Here is today's progress. Like I said earlier I am using Van Dykes Lutan F Tanning Kit.

The hide has been salted for 24 hours. It is time to put it into the pickling solution where it will stary for the next 72 hours. I started by putting about 4 gallons of water into a bucket. It is easier for me to guesstimate 4 gallons in the bucket vs the rubbermaid tub.

The instructions with the Lutan kit call for 1 lb of salt and 0.5 ounces of Saftee Acid per gallon of water.

So I added 4 lbs of salt and 2 ounces of Saftee Acid to the water and mixed it up well. Be careful with the acid and use goggles to keep it out of your eyes.
            Last edited by Big Brass; 03-26-2009, 02:12 PM.

Comment

The instructions say the pH of the pickling solution should be about 1.5-2. I dipped a strip.

And verified my pH was good and acidic.

Now that the pickle is mixed, I add one salted bunny hide,

And one salted bobcat hide.

Interesting observation - bunny hides float and bobcat hides sink.

The hides need to pickle for 72 hours. I will take them out Saturday afternoon and scrape them to thin the hides some and remove a little more of the membrane from the skin. Then they will go back into the pickle until this time Sunday afternoon. I will go out a few times between now and then and give the pickle a stir. I'll update Saturday with some pics of thinning the hides.
              Last edited by Big Brass; 03-26-2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

hurry!!! i want to see the rest

Comment

cant wait to see how it turns out

Comment

I will defiantly be keeping up with this as I too have a few hides that need to be tanned.
                    cool thread keep up the good work!

Comment

Sweet...I have always wanted to do this this will help!!

Comment

AAHHHH!!!! The suspense is killing me....

Comment

Good thread!

Comment

Bravo! Great work.

Comment

marked so I dont forget it

Comment

Thanks for documenting this process. I have heard about the Lutan-F but never seen it in action. Great thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X