Malinois Belgian Shepherds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malinois Belgian Shepherds

Who has one and where did you get? Thinking about getting one as a family/guard dog. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I looked into them long and hard as I wanted to get one for the house. If you do not have a firm hand and have a lot of time to spend with one wouldn't suggest it. They call them maligators for a reason, can be destructive if not enough exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
      I looked into them long and hard as I wanted to get one for the house. If you do not have a firm hand and have a lot of time to spend with one wouldn't suggest it. They call them maligators for a reason, can be destructive if not enough exercise.
      I have read that. I live out in the country on couple hundred acres and have a lab that could keep him occupied. Would have plenty of room to run and play. Thanks

Comment

I don't have a Belgian Malinois, but have had the Groenendael variety of Belgian Shepherds (There are 4 types of Belgians). Have had a bunch of them the past 20 years and they are my favorite breed of dog. But they aren't for everyone.
        Requires a lot of socializing as a puppy and dominance training from the owner. However, if you've got the time, you won't find a better breed. I have no fear of anyone entering the house who doesn't belong. She hits the front door like she is going to kill someone. Nice to have when randoms walk up and knock. She also herds my 3 year old in the yard if he gets too close to the street.
        Law enforcement has gone toward the Mals b/c of their short coats- long black hair has become a condiment in our house!
        They really are great peace of mind when my wife is home with the kids alone. Let me know if you have specific questions- We are breeding my ***** in a couple of months with a woman in Breckenridge who has kept our line going for the last 20 years or so (all of my dogs come from the same lineage). Good luck- great dogs!

Comment

I looked into them and decided on a GSD instead. They are a true working dog and need a firm pack leader. Look for some videos on you tube. I exercise my GSD for atleast an hour a day and he still gets bored. I cant imagine a malinois. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 67olds442 View Post
            I looked into them and decided on a GSD instead. They are a true working dog and need a firm pack leader. Look for some videos on you tube. I exercise my GSD for atleast an hour a day and he still gets bored. I cant imagine a malinois. Good luck
            What is GSD?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              What is GSD?
              I'm no expert!

Google says
              German Shepard Dog
              Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-12-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                I'm no expert!

Google says
                German Shepard Dog
                Thats kinda what I was thinkin

Comment

Don't do it. Most folks see a highly trained one on tv or videos and instantly go out and buy one. They are working dogs and should have tasks and daily work. Get a good shepherd and find you a trainer that can help attain your goals. You're looking at years to get where you want. You'll have to choke so much drive out of that mal that you'll just be better off with the GSD

Comment

Originally posted by k9trainer View Post
                    Don't do it. Most folks see a highly trained one on tv or videos and instantly go out and buy one. They are working dogs and should have tasks and daily work.
                    While I dont disagree the same could be said for Lacys. The amount of Lacys needing re-homed on FB is down right despicable.

Comment

European working line GSD. German Shepherd Dog. 1/2 DDR 1/2 Czech. Ama,ing animal. High drives and needs lots of exercise. They are better suited for pets.....although not for the weak. Malanois' are amazing dogs but are very high drive and some do not have an off switch. The name is Belgian Malanois. There are also Dutch Shepherds and Belgian Shepherds.

I would say stick with the GSD......but not American lines. They are not true rep of what. German Shepherd Dog is supposed to be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-12-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by k9trainer View Post
                        Don't do it. Most folks see a highly trained one on tv or videos and instantly go out and buy one. They are working dogs and should have tasks and daily work. Get a good shepherd and find you a trainer that can help attain your goals. You're looking at years to get where you want. You'll have to choke so much drive out of that mal that you'll just be better off with the GSD
                        Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        While I dont disagree the same could be said for Lacys. The amount of Lacys needing re-homed on FB is down right despicable.
                        This!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          But we aren't talking about lacys
                          Not really a fan of lacys anymore. Going thru what is happening to the mal right now. Popularity kills working breeds.

Comment

Does not play well with other dogs. Lol.

Comment

Do not get one of these.

Comment

Working...
                              X