10 - 700 yd hog gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what it should look like.

Your velocity is way off for a 300 WSM too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      You've got all kinds of stuff wrong in that calculator.

First of all .308 is the diameter of the Bullet on a 300 WSM. Secondly it looks like you have the diameter set to mm.

168 grain VLD doesn't need a 1:7 twist unless it's maybe subsonic in 300 blackout.

This is what it should look like.

Your velocity is way off for a 300 WSM too.

Thank you!!

I'm new new to this.
      Will this be a good bullet for my intended purposes, killing out to 700yd occasionally, killing inside 300 frequently. Or do I need better stability?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
        Thank you!!

I'm new new to this.
        Will this be a good bullet for my intended purposes, killing out to 700yd occasionally, killing inside 300 frequently. Or do I need better stability?

168 will work. But at that range I would feel a lot better with 200+.

Comment

Can you load a 200gn in WSM?

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

Can you load a 200gn in WSM?

Is it a 205? You'll have to have it checked as far as bullet seat depth. Those bullets are long. It may work or you may have to drop to the 185. Also Bergers like to be set up **** near on the rifling. Normally 10 thousandths off. You'll have to play with it. But don't start at 50 thousandths. That's because they are a Secant Ogive (shape of the bullet).

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
              6.5 Grendel in an AR type rifle
              This what I am planning to go with.

If not, it's hard to beat the .308 for accuracy out to 600 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by q2xlman View Post
                This what I am planning to go with.

If not, it's hard to beat the .308 for accuracy out to 600 yards.

Any 6.5

Comment

Just as an fyi that thread i started about long range hunting bullets was based off the idea of shooting those bullets i asked about out of the exact same rifle you are looking to buy with that savage 12 vlp in the 300 wsm. My research is showing that with handloads and a 26 inch barrel like the savage has you should be able to get around 3000 fps out of that rifle shooting 180 gr class of bullets like the 175 barnes lrx. That bullet out of my calculations should in theory have enough speed to still be able to expand out to 800 yards which is well over your 700 yard need.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                    Just as an fyi that thread i started about long range hunting bullets was based off the idea of shooting those bullets i asked about out of the exact same rifle you are looking to buy with that savage 12 vlp in the 300 wsm. My research is showing that with handloads and a 26 inch barrel like the savage has you should be able to get around 3000 fps out of that rifle shooting 180 gr class of bullets like the 175 barnes lrx. That bullet out of my calculations should in theory have enough speed to still be able to expand out to 800 yards which is well over your 700 yard need.

I think I've seen that thread :-)
                    :thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                      Is it a 205? You'll have to have it checked as far as bullet seat depth. Those bullets are long. It may work or you may have to drop to the 185. Also Bergers like to be set up **** near on the rifling. Normally 10 thousandths off. You'll have to play with it. But don't start at 50 thousandths. That's because they are a Secant Ogive (shape of the bullet).
                      Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from VLD bullets in Your Rifle. Background VLD bullets are designed with a secant ogive. This ogive shape allows bullets to be more efficient in flight (retain more velocity = less drop and wind deflection). While this result is desirable for many rifle shooters the secant ogive on the VLD bullets

Here is a link to an article describing finding the optimum distance to the lands for your specific gun with vld's. While they found jamming into the lands is extremely consistent, they also describe a method to keep accuracy with a longer jump. It's a good read by an expert for sure.

Many shooters are not aware of the dramatic effects that bullet seating depth can have on the pressure and velocity generated by a rifle cartridge.  COAL is also a variable that can be used to fine tune accuracy.  It's also an important consideration for rifles that need to feed rounds thru a magazine.  In this

Here is part one to a 2 part read concerning cartridge length by the same author. Once again expert ballistician and a great read. Part 2 can be found linked on there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
                        http://www.bergerbullets.com/vld-making-shoot/
                        Here is a link to an article describing finding the optimum distance to the lands for your specific gun with vld's. While they found jamming into the lands is extremely consistent, they also describe a method to keep accuracy with a longer jump. It's a good read by an expert for sure.

Many shooters are not aware of the dramatic effects that bullet seating depth can have on the pressure and velocity generated by a rifle cartridge.  COAL is also a variable that can be used to fine tune accuracy.  It's also an important consideration for rifles that need to feed rounds thru a magazine.  In this

Here is part one to a 2 part read concerning cartridge length by the same author. Once again expert ballistician and a great read. Part 2 can be found linked on there somewhere.

Thanks! I'll save this and get back to it to read.

Comment

Thank you!!

I'm new new to this.

If it were me on a magnum I would step up to the 175 or 185 grain bullets. But being that it's a WSM and not a regular Wam that may not be an option since you will start limiting powder capacity.

That's where the regular swam shines over the WSM. It's just much more flexible.

Comment

If it were me on a magnum I would step up to the 175 or 185 grain bullets. But being that it's a WSM and not a regular Wam that may not be an option since you will start limiting powder capacity.

That's where the regular swam shines over the WSM. It's just much more flexible.
                            What bullets do you use at 175 gr? To me it seems the 30 Cal selection Drops off drastically for hunting bullets after 168 grain.

Comment

10 - 700 yd hog gun

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
                              What bullets do you use at 175 gr? To me it seems the 30 Cal selection Drops off drastically for hunting bullets after 168 grain.

I use Berger 175s in my 308 and Berger 190s and 210s in my 300 Win Mag. They also offer a 185 grain as well.

Comment

I use Berger 175s in my 308 and Berger 190s and 210s in my 300 Win Mag. They also offer a 185 grain as well.
                                Are the 175 gr match or hunting? I looked at the local sporting goods store and couldn't find a 175 hunting to save my life! But I'm half blind at times so I might if just missed it!

Comment

Working...
                                X