"the pasture"....long read and pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackmaster View Post
    It's hard to manage small acreage but a fun challenge just the same. Hopefully you can cross paths with the big one next season.
    i hear ya, i would love to have a couple hundered acres more, or even just the 75 or so around me but until i win the lottery i am stuck...lol

Comment

filled the feeders again and checked on the plot, it is looking good although we missed all the rain last week we have a good chance at some later this week. they still arent hitting the feeders real hard but i was happy to see the big buck at a spin feeder for the first time, he has previously only been seen at my gravity feeder. i put out a bale of alfalfa last week to see if they would eat it and i had some pics of them with it in their mouth, will see how quickly they finish it off. here are some pics...

some clover and chicory in the foreground, coming along real slow

turner spring mix

soybeans

the clover/chicory

soybeans

big boy

some does enjoying the buck ration and trophy rocks

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
          Nice work.
          thanks, have you seen this ranch for sale? it is gorgeous country up your way...

Whitetail Properties hunting land for sale listings are the most current and diverse around the country. Find your special piece of hunting land here!

need that lotto thing to come through....

Comment

This looks like a buddy of mine place just outside of Mt Pleasant.

Comment

went out today and was expecting more growth than i had but the plots are still coming in pretty solid, the soybeans are getting hit a bit harder than the mix, hopefully if this rain hits wednesday it will start filling in.

i will get a couple soil samples again at the end of summer but i am pretty sure i am still a bit low which is causing the clover to bemiving so slow.

i am thinking i might bite the bullet and go with another ton of pelletized lime so i can get it out before the fall planting...is it safe to lime an established spring/summer plot?

Comment

I limed my plot when the plants were small one year and they turned out fine. The pelletized lime won't stick to the plants like powered ag lime will. The pelletized lime is amazing how it will break down so quickly with a rain. The particles in pellet lime are way finer than regular ag lime and will be absorbed quicker. It will change pH much quicker than ag lime too.

Comment

great, thank you

Comment

Awesome thread. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

thanks guys, i've always loved looking at other guys progression pics and food plot pics and management/habitat ideas, hopefully someone can gain something from mine, whether its what TO do or what NOT TO do...lol

Comment

well the does are looking good, bout ready to pop, the food plot is coming along, but i havent gotten a pic of the big buck in over a week, he was kind of spotty this time last year too.

this is the best looking buck so far, i am almost positive this isnt the big one as i usually recognize him right off, and big boy was way further along this time last year than this deer is.

couple of small bucks and one bedded down back to the left, he was there for about 15 mins.

some good doe

some deer in the plot

MF's

Comment

Great thread...good luck on getting the big guy.

Comment

thanks man.....hope.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                                thats a good idea and makes sense, with as little as i am planting this year i will be able to replant in the fall if needed so i am gonna give it a shot.

like always, i am getting down to the line and havent finished all of my prepwork yet.
                                Did you get the electric fence? I would say with the amount of protein you are currently feeding, your deer are going to DESTROY a 1.5 acre plot. You are already holding the bucks on your place thru mid August. I would fence till August and then let them in. If you let it get tall enough it could provide cover and food in one.

Comment

Working...
                                X