No announcement yet.

Protein on small acreage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have 50 acres and have fed protein over the past couple of years. We also had donkeys for the first couple of years so, it was a waste of time since we didn't have feeder pens. We got rid of the donkeys this year and the deer have been hammering the protein daily. As someone mentioned above, you are going to be helping out your neighbors as well but, that comes with the territory with free range hunting. However, if you consistently have deer coming to the protein (especially now) you should see the benefits come opening weekend.

Comment

I would feed it...It will help the deer that you are hunting and harvesting

Comment

Originally posted by tmstuk View Post
        I also seen an increase in usage after installing a water guzzler nearby.
        That's the next slated project. I think we're just going to run a water hose with a fill valve to one of those 50gal rubbermaid tanks.

Being on bit of a budget, I'm thinking that a timed feeder might be better on my wallet than free choice...this place is in the Hill Country(so plenty of deer), and there are some Axis around. Any clue what I'm looking at in costs for feed? I know nothing about feeding protein.

Comment

whats the best % of protein? I've heard 14% 18% 20% 22%? I own a small tract and currently have 2 small food plots and feed protein. had a very successful season. but always room for improvement.

Comment

This is my personal experience. I have a feeder on about 30 acres on the outside of Mason, pretty close to town. I fed protein from January 15th until august and switched to corn. On September 27th, opening morning, I killed the second biggest buck I have ever seen on that place. I had the biggest buck at 40 yards that afternoon with a mesquite tree blocking his vitals. Prior to that year and since that year, I have not been able to feed protein for various reasons, and the deer just have not been what they were that year I fed protein.

Comment

What is a good protein to feed from the same feeder as your spin corn feeder? I am running 3 corn feeders on 40 acres.

Comment

AS stated it will help attract deer to your place. As long as you are comfortable feeding deer that may well be shot off your property then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                  That's the next slated project. I think we're just going to run a water hose with a fill valve to one of those 50gal rubbermaid tanks.

Being on bit of a budget, I'm thinking that a timed feeder might be better on my wallet than free choice...this place is in the Hill Country(so plenty of deer), and there are some Axis around. Any clue what I'm looking at in costs for feed? I know nothing about feeding protein.
                  Timed will be straight attraction then. You'd do just as well feeding corn and $5 a bag cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                    What is a good protein to feed from the same feeder as your spin corn feeder? I am running 3 corn feeders on 40 acres.
                    I dont know much about anything, but mixing corn and protein in a spin feeder is no bueno. The protein will attract moisture and will clog up the spinner plate, then the cussing starts.

Might be cheaper for you to get an inexpensive protein feeder and put it in the middle of your property, and maybe not hunt over it.

On a small tract of property, 16% protein will be good and cheaper to buy. Just my opinion.
                    Last edited by Radar; 02-22-2018, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                      I dont know much about anything, but mixing corn and protein in a spin feeder is no bueno. The protein will attract moisture and will clog up the spinner plate, then the cussing starts.

Might be cheaper for you to get and inexpensive protein feeder and put it in the middle of your property, and maybe not hunt over it.

On a small tract of property, 16% protein will be good and cheaper to buy. Just my opinion.
                      Radar you know Lots and that fst statement proves..I seen that also..Matter of fact I agree with all above THX

Comment

Protein Feeder

Originally posted by Radar View Post

Might be cheaper for you to get and inexpensive protein feeder and put it in the middle of your property, and maybe not hunt over it.

Radar you know Lots and that fst statement proves..I seen that also..Matter of fact I agree with all above THX

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post

You may look at some of the roasted corn and soybean mixes. The protein content is higher than corn but probably not as high as protein. It wont soak up moisture and clog feeders the way protein will and it is cheaper than protein. I have started feeding the roasted corn and soybean mix which the deer really seem to like. I have put out protein blocks at my feeders as well as an attempt to increase available protein. I have also put out some mineral blocks at my feeders. You may even try to put out loose mineral near your feeders also instead of a block it may create a mineral lick which are decent attractants for deer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                            If you can afford to do so and want to attract animals, go for it. They will spend more time on your place and that little extra time might be enough for you to harvest a special animal. But, others surrounding you will benefit from your pocketbook. No matter how many good things you supply the deer with, water, cover, food, does, little to no pressure, they still will jump that fence. They are animals and travel around for whatever reason. They cannot rationalize that they have all they need by staying within your boundary. Their home range is simply much greater.

Spot on right here. ^^^^

We’ve been feeding protein on 107 acres for several years. We have a lot of bucks on the property every summer, always a few really nice ones mixed in. Most of which go awol around velvet shedding time. The first few years it can be a little disheartening to feed’em and have them leave, but in the end I’ve just come to enjoy watching them grow every summer. I know the potential of the deer in the area because I feed. We’ve killed a few nice ones. One day we’ll put a sure enough hoss on the wall. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes, feed as much as you can and add water! Water will make a big difference, especially if there is no major water source around.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                                Timed will be straight attraction then. You'd do just as well feeding corn and $5 a bag cheaper.
                                Not to derail or be argumentative but, I feed 20000# through two timed feeders every year and that's certainly more than just an attractant.

Comment

Working...
                                X