No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my! It seems I have some catching up to do. I'm just back from the ranch and learning the power of social media.

First; Yazooman, thank you for your post. I'm 63 not very 'techie' and this thread is the first time I have ever attempted such a thing. It means a lot to learn that sharing in this way connects and contributes in ways I never understood. I appreciate your story and hope our paths cross personally some day.

Blessings to all always and thanks to each of you for your kind words.

Comment

Now, for the deer. I'm rather astounded at how pics of that buck have circulated. The particular pic I see circulating was taken by my buddy hunting with me and I didn't know he even sent it to anyone.Now I've even seen it advertising ranches for folks I've never heard of. At least here is one with me smiling. It was a very exciting hunt.

Some details on the deer. He was a 7 yr old. I first noticed him at 4 when I 'accidentally ' videod him while trying to get on a bigger buck. He was an average 145-150" 10 pt. At 5 he blew up to a high 190's maybe 200" 10 pt. Very magnificent and obviously special. I had several buddies telling me I was nuts for not hunting him.I don't shoot 5 yr olds. At 6 he dropped back to an 8 pt scoring around 170. Beautiful frame with lots of mass.

I don't run cameras much on the ranch so I had no idea what he looked like this year. I showed up at the ranch looking for an 8 yr old [ which I still haven't found ] and actually bumped this a couple of times before I got a good look at him. Then one afternoon me and a couple of buddies were out and I caught him up close with some terrific video. Change of plans as I knew at 7 he was the one to chase.

He scored 199 5/8. His main 8 pt frame was 177". Cool buck. Here is a pic of him at 5.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here he is in one of his previous incarnations at 5.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow. What a deer!

Comment

Awesome buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow! It looks like he has a drop off his drop. Congrats on an awesome deer. Thanks for sharing the story.

T

Comment

Congrats. The frame on that deer is awesome.

Comment

Gorgeous buck. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice deer Rusty. Growing some big ones over there.

Comment

WOOOOOOOW!!! That's all I got. Congrats Rusty!!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        Thought some of you might find this interesting. This buck has an antler growing out of his eye! I've been watching him all summer wondering if/when he might die. My best guess is that he damaged his pedicle last year...probably fighting..and a part of antler has grown down and out through his eye. He also had a 5-6" drop tine growing from his left base which he has broken off.

Open to any other theories???
                        Ouch!!!
                        Yep, either fighting or they get hung up in something and freak out. They break the antler out with a big chunk of pedicle attached to it. They will usually always be abnormal on that side from then on. I see it a lot.
                        And congrats on that beautiful Mexico buck.

Comment

Rusty,
                          Here is what I am talking about.
                          In these pics, I set the torn out antler next to a regular shed antler.
                          But, come to think of it, I have never seen it happen to a deer older than a yearling.
                          Could be what GarGuy said too
                          Attached Files

Comment

I was at a SE Deer Study group a few years ago and listened to a talk about Arcanobacter pyogenes, now called Trueperella pyogenes. It is a bacteria that enters the meninges of the brain through wounds near the pedicle. A lot of the symptoms that weren't fatal were the extra bone attached to sheds just like the pics above.

Comment

Mr. elgato,
                              That is one fine animal you killed.

Congrats

Rwc

Comment

Tag

Comment

Working...
                                X