• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck

Comment

I've seen it in San Antonio. Think it was coming from the Austin Chalk

Comment

Possibly a small salt dome with trapped hydrocarbons.

Comment

Originally posted by turbowhunter View Post
          I've seen it in San Antonio. Think it was coming from the Austin Chalk
          That's a deep water well coming from Austin Chalk

Comment

Are there any wells nearby. Your contractor should have had some offsets from previous water wells in the area or any well for that matter. More than likely there is. There may have been a fracture created while drilling especially if you lost circulation.

If there is an oil well nearby they probably experienced the same thing and more than likely had to squeeze cement while setting casing. That would be about casing depth for surface. In alot of areas. You can squeeze and trap some hydro carbon in these voids. Although this is extremely shallow, it is possible that hydro carbons could have collected in this area while drilling the next section considering the weaker formation until the next string of casing was run and stayed trapped.

But who knows. I was on a deer lease in Hebbronville with a 420' water well. When ever you got a bucket of water from it you could see lots of black specks of oil floating at the surface. But that place had three oil wells on that section and it was only 150 acres.
            Last edited by Muddy Bud; 06-28-2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              That's a deep water well coming from Austin Chalk
              What makes you think that?

Comment

Jed Clampett. We need pics of your Elly May.

Comment

Yes, at my lease there is oil in the water. It really makes a mess. It's worse during the off season and not to bad during deer season when the well is being used more.

Comment

My grandpa told a story of hitting oil once when digging a well for irrigation here in Iowa. Notified everyone who needed to be and a quick survey of some sort or another revealed a very small pocket they happened to drill on top of.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                      I've heard of it. In Saudi Arabia.
                      Yep, happens all the time in the middle east.....for farmers, it's unfortunate, because all the oil is owned by the state, so it does them no good.

Comment

The shallowest part of the Austin chalk is 5,500 ft. That's a pretty deep water well.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                          The shallowest part of the Austin chalk is 5,500 ft. That's a pretty deep water well.
                          Maybe in south Texas, but it's named for outcrops (depth = 0) in the Austin area.

Comment

Knowing how deep the Austin chalk is in the San Antonio area
                            Last edited by bphillips; 06-29-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              Maybe in south Texas, but it's named for outcrops (depth = 0) in the Austin area.
                              Yea but not in San Antonio

Comment

Originally posted by hunterbabe View Post
                                I have a professional licensed driller that is doing the work, and he is notifying the proper people. No unfortunately no mineral rights came with the property. I own 372 acres of undeveloped property, and wanted a well close to the center to for my livestock.
                                Here comes my landman advice, I can't help it...

You should attempt to locate the mineral owners and buy some or all of their interest in your 372ac tract. Then if/when you own most or all of the mineral rights it could be in your favor, economically speaking, to market your discovery to an E&P company who can complete a successful oil well in that horizon where you have encountered this hydrocarbon trap.

Of course this idea comes with about 10 caveats... but it's a possibility for you to make some residual income.

Comment

Working...
                                X